A do-it-all video game developer looking for tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A do-it-all video game developer looking for tips

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I'm the lead developer on a video game and the founder of the company working on it. I'm trying to be better about speaking in the editorial "we" when discussing my game and company, but here when I speak in first person, I'm just a beginner graphic designer looking for guidance and critiques.

I've been working on the game with virtually all of my free time for nearly three years now and it is functionally close to completion. Very soon we will wrap up core functionality programming and start building the actual game levels. Feedback we've received so far on the game indicates that it desperately needs a makeover. So I'll be spending some time here now hoping to learn all I can from you fine people.

It would be nice if we could just hire one of you to help us out directly. Unfortunately, that just isn't in the budget. I respect that you are professionals who make a living doing what you do, and sincerely appreciate any guidance you can provide.

I'll be seeing you around.

Hi NathanielA and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I've listened to a few John Carmack lectures that on this topic... never place text on a semi-transparent background. Even with today's graphics it's difficult to discern. When I was QA testing for Activision I always found the UI to be pretty generic and difficult to navigate. Futuristic Sans Serifs in neon colors. Granted it was a Call of Duty title. What sort of game is this and what are you looking for in terms of graphics?

Comment

No text on semi-transparent backgrounds. I'll have to remember that. Thanks for the tip... Unfortunately I think I already broke that rule. I do try to keep it contrasty though.

If you're a former tester I'll assume you're pretty versed in video game genres. I'm making a JRPG. For the look I'm going for, I'm trying to recapture the feel of 90's RPGs back during the transition from 2D to 3D. I'm thinking of games like Ogre Battle 64 for the Nintendo 64 and Final Fantasy Tactics for the original Playstation.

For the UI, I would like something like these:

(Sorry, having trouble figuring out how to place bigger photos here. The full size pic is here: http://himekosutori.com/wp-content/u...I-Examples.jpg.)

Those are Final Fantasy Tactics, Arcadian Atlas, Fire Emblem, Eternal Sonata, and a couple of others. My UIs aren't quite that slick yet.

For the look for the world, I would love to have something that reminds people of Tactics Ogre:

But I have a particular challenge arriving at that level of pixelated detail because I'm trying to show a much larger map, and the player can zoom in and out, which would ruin any pixel-perfect artwork.

I'll be posting some specific examples of what I'm trying to do over in the Crit Pit.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• iwebsitez
          Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
          iwebsitez
          I quite like it to be honest, it's not too stuffed but it's clean, easy to remember! Well done Dan.
          Today, 11:18 AM
        • Craig B
          Reply to Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
          Craig B
          I think what you described is fairly typical of most jobs. I'm not saying it's identical but I do web design, email design, interactive apps, collateral, booth graphics, signage, posters, advertising,...
          Today, 10:46 AM
        • Colton819
          Reply to Getting a image ready for print
          Colton819
          So I tried doing Pantone colors but obviously they just couldn’t match close enough. The image I posted is actually a vector format I created a raster format then converted to vector in illustrator. I...
          Today, 08:47 AM
        • leaagg
          Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
          leaagg
          Hello,

I am a French designer working for a Turkish company (in turkey).
          I am now currently working on my updated portfolio because my main goal is QUIT !! The working conditions in...
          Today, 07:57 AM
        • PrintDriver
          Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
          PrintDriver
          Do people still use QR codes?
          Two phones ago I downloaded an app just to check that a client's QR code was linking properly when printed. 4 years later now, and that app has never been used again....
          Today, 07:06 AM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X