Hi from Phoenix!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Phoenix!

So, brand new forum member. Looking to expand on my forum options as some of the subjects can get repetitive after a while. Been looking for some place to share with/help others in the design field.

A bit about me. I'm 46, wife and two kids. Got started in the design business in 1999 when I was hired as an Ad Compositor at the Desert Sun (Gannett-owned daily newspaper) in Palm Springs, California. I kind of fell into this niche area and haven't left. My grandfather was a pressman, so I guess it kind of runs in the family.

We moved to Arizona in 2000 and I had a series of jobs for small weeklies until 2004 when I was hired by Pueblo Publishers, Inc. We put out the Glendale Star and the Peoria Times, both newspapers of record for Glendale, Arizona and Peoria, Arizona, respectively.

I've been doing this for almost 18 years now and since most of the work is small newspapers is usually just me doing ads, layout and pagination. My boss made me manager in 2013. At that point there was just me and one other person. Now it's just me. So, I manage myself.

The majority of my experience is QuarkXPress 3.x to 8.5.1. I switched to InDesign CS4 in 2011 only because I knew that I was never going to learn it at all unless I got paid for it. So I provided myself with on the job traning.

Looking forward to engaging with other members here.

Thanks for reading!
    Erik Youngren Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
    2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5

Hi Eyoungren and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Hi, eyoungren. I've seen you on other forums for years, and I know you'll be a great addition to this one. You always give really useful and knowledgeable advice.
      No cell phone, no Facebook, no iAnything. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Possumgal View Post
        Hi, eyoungren. I've seen you on other forums for years, and I know you'll be a great addition to this one. You always give really useful and knowledgeable advice.
        Well, thanks! I appreciate that. I try to help and I try to learn. It looks like there are several people here I can learn from so right now I'm enjoying myself.
        Erik Youngren Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
        2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• B
          Reply to Is Assymetrical strucutre MODERN??
          B
          Asymmetrical layouts are likely more common than they were a hundred years ago. Whether or not that qualifies asymmetry as looking modern is probably a matter of opinion. The letterhead layout you've...
          Today, 10:27 AM
        • B
          Reply to Font Identification - What font is this?
          B
          The typeface is Microgramma.
          Today, 10:05 AM
        • PrintDriver
          Reply to What does this look like?
          PrintDriver
          That depends. Do you want your watermelon to have seeds or not? Or better, Does the purpose for which you are creating a slime dripping slice of watermelon require that it has seeds?

You...
          Today, 07:31 AM
        • Troep
          Reply to What does this look like?
          Troep
          Should I add some seeds??
          Today, 01:18 AM
        • PrintDriver
          Reply to Just Graduated... What Now?
          PrintDriver
          It isn't so much the fault of the schools. There is just so much out there these days beyond the realm of corporate identity work. Yeah it all revolves around ''The Sell'' somehow but it isn't all business...
          Today, 01:00 AM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X