Existential crisis of a designer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Existential crisis of a designer

The problem is simple yet so complicated. I have just started my journey of becoming a designer, I know it's what I want and what I am made for but the thing is I don't know which type of design I want to dive in. I have a degree as a Multimedia Designer and it would only make sense to jump into graphic design next, but I'm not sure it's what I want. I'm very much interested in photography and art and magazines and blogs, but I also have been discovering an interest in fashion design (which might be just temporary though). I have always had a lot of interests at once which end up leading to confusion, my creative mind has no chill and I don't know how to find a way to express what is going on in my brain, so now I just have no idea what to choose/do.. Help?

Hi AroundTheFur and welcome to GDF.

If your drive is based on a desire to express what's going on in your brain, why did you choose graphic design instead of fine art?

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Try this on for size:
      segd.org

The environmental and experiential graphics field is a combination of all the things you listed.

But like Kitch said, with Graphic Design, YOU don't get to decide how you express your art. Your clients' needs dictate the end result, and if you can't work within that kind of constraint, you will not ever be happy in this field.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
        But like Kitch said, with Graphic Design, YOU don't get to decide how you express your art. Your clients' needs dictate the end result, and if you can't work within that kind of constraint, you will not ever be happy in this field.
        There is a certain truth in that and I mostly agree. However, when my skills and experience are offered either by my employer or myself, I do take issue when the client's needs demand that they completely ignore my skills and experience. In this regard, all the client 'needs' is an artworker (British term) to build what they have in their head. Just someone who knows how to operate the program, not a designer.

Which is fine if that is all they need, but don't pretend you are hiring a designer because you won't pay the wages and fees a designer asks for.

Probably why they come to a newspaper first and not a design agency.
        Erik Youngren Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
        2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5

Comment

Originally posted by eyoungren View Post
          ...when my skills and experience are offered either by my employer or myself, I do take issue when the client's needs demand that they completely ignore my skills and experience....
          I agree with that, and I suspect PrintDriver does too (although he can speak for himself).

I think what is meant is that graphic design isn't a fine art project where the goal is to successfully express oneself in the art. Instead, the goal is to design a solution to the client's problem. One's artistic abilities and aesthetic judgment often play a vital role in that solution, but those abilities should be considered strategic assets to be employed toward the solution and not the solution itself.

For me personally, this means the creativity used in a fine art, self-expression project gets redirected into solving a problem that the client is unable to solve him or herself. There's still room for aesthetics and personal preference, but they need to be subordinate to and in the service of solving the problem the client has hired me to solve. And yes, sometimes that means diplomatically arguing with and convincing clients that their original or prefered solution is not the best option nor in their best interests.

Comment

One's artistic abilities and aesthetic judgment often play a vital role in that solution, but those abilities should be considered strategic assets to be employed toward the solution and not the solution itself.
            This.

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post

I agree with that, and I suspect PrintDriver does too (although he can speak for himself).

I think what is meant is that graphic design isn't a fine art project where the goal is to successfully express oneself in the art. Instead, the goal is to design a solution to the client's problem. One's artistic abilities and aesthetic judgment often play a vital role in that solution, but those abilities should be considered strategic assets to be employed toward the solution and not the solution itself.

For me personally, this means the creativity used in a fine art, self-expression project gets redirected into solving a problem that the client is unable to solve him or herself. There's still room for aesthetics and personal preference, but they need to be subordinate to and in the service of solving the problem the client has hired me to solve. And yes, sometimes that means diplomatically arguing with and convincing clients that their original or prefered solution is not the best option nor in their best interests.
              Total agreement here.
              Erik Youngren Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
              2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PrintDriver
                Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
                PrintDriver
                Happy Thanksgiving to all!
                Just waiting for dinner to finish cooking. We are eating fashionably late this year. Mainly because the bird was larger than expected, but that 's ok.
                Lots of hooverdoovers...
                Today, 04:17 PM
              • PanToshi
                PanToshi
                Happy Thanksgiving!

Today, 01:20 PM
              • B
                B
                Happy Thanksgiving everyone (even to those of you outside the U.S.)!

As for turkey, I worked a summer job in a Norbest butter ball turkey processing plant before college, and haven't touched...
                Today, 12:57 PM
              • Arka-Software
                Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                Arka-Software
                There are many software in the market which are using for vector pattern are:- 1) Inkscape 2) Xara Xtreme 3) Skencil 4) Scribus 5) VRR 6) CoceptDrow PRO 7) ZeusDraw 8) MagicTracer 9) Nodebox 10) Tgif
                Today, 12:46 PM
              • PrintDriver
                Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                PrintDriver
                You want a program that is used to dealing with vector axis data. Photoshop would probably be inappropriate.

The only way I can think to do this is to have a script written for Illustrator...
                Today, 09:10 AM
              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X