Greetings ^_^

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings ^_^

Hi everyone, I'm Linxie and I'm an alco... *cough* newbie, hailing from South Africa

Where to begin? I've had a love for graphic design for as long as I can remember. Sadly, when given the opportunity to study further I was told GD was not suitable and that I should study something business related, which I did. 14 years later I resigned from the motor industry and have taken the plunge into GD.

During my last 8 years of employment I dabbled in GD for the company (designing newspaper adverts, brochures, posters and invitations) and read as much as I could. It helped a lot, but I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be.

Since my resignation in Feb this year, I've attended various online courses through Udemy and am now busy with another at Shaw Academy. I feel like an idiot because I wasted a lot of my money and could have been getting a formal education instead (even if it was a part time one)... oh well, I guess we live and learn from our mistakes.

The Shaw Academy course is very promising, however, it lacks the interaction (and I suppose competition) I need to improve, and that's why I'm here. I hope to learn a lot from everyone here and will be asking a lot of questions and requests for input / advice / feedback with regards to my designs.

I've also contacted a few of the graphic design companies in my area in hopes that they'll allow me to shadow / intern for a while. No replies yet, so perhaps you could give me some guidance as to how I should approach them?

When I'm not designing / learning - I read; watch documentaries; play games; go to the beach; take photographs; and spend time with my SO.

Probably TMI, but WTH right I'll see you all around the forums.

Hi Linxie and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Hi KitchWitch and thanks for the welcome

I've decided that I'm going to study further by getting my BA in Graphic Design (Visual Communication).
      There just isn't enough interaction with teachers via short courses and I feel that I'm missing out on a lot.

It's going to take some time since I'll need to work while studying as I cannot afford the 8k (ZAR) plus per month in fees.

I'm extremely excited though and will be working on my portfolio and visual diary for my application.

There have been a number of articles on this site which have really helped - things you don't realize you're doing. Thank you very much to everyone who posts and contributes
      Last edited by Linxie; 09-20-2017, 03:36 AM. Reason: Adding further information

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
        Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
        PanToshi
        Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
        Today, 03:46 PM
      • PanToshi
        Reply to Looking for comments
        PanToshi
        Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
        Today, 03:46 PM
      • PanToshi
        Reply to Flyer Crtitique
        PanToshi
        Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
        Today, 03:40 PM
      • HotButton
        Reply to Flyer Crtitique
        HotButton
        There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
        Today, 03:36 PM
      • pobrien
        Flyer Crtitique
        pobrien
        Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
        Today, 01:12 PM
      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
      Working...
      X