• MichaelWied
    Comment on Company Logo Rebranding Critique
    MichaelWied
    Cant' see it for some reason.
    Today, 04:15 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Please help with company logo
    Buda
    Is the company name still The Fitness Doctors? The latest logo doesn't show this.
    Today, 03:38 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Happy Last Friday of July!!!!
    Buda
    Oh lala, if your summer is ending, that means my winter is ending.

Amazing pirate mermaid wedding! I went to a pirate birthday party on a boat once but that doesn't even compare to a wedding....
    Today, 03:35 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to Freelance Advice - Family Conflict
    salsa
    If it were me, I'd just write off all the work done so far as pro bono. Like several others already mentioned, I do all family work for free and if they want to pay me then that's an extra bonus.
    Today, 03:23 AM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to Freelance Advice - Family Conflict
    Kayekaye
    I had inlaws approach me for a logo and website. What a nightmare. They are a married professional couple and said "Of course we would pay you, $___ (an amount that barely covers 2 hours of work)...
    Today, 03:07 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand Spankin' New Member and A Question

Hi everyone! I am a brand spankin' new member. I joined the forum out of frustration with my new boss (more on that later), but I also thought I needed more outlets to contact other designers.

I have been a graphic designer for 12 years since graduating from Michigan State University in 1994. I did all my undergrad work in visual arts like video & film and multimedia and had very little exposure to design software. Luckily, the library was growing and needed somebody who could handle communications duties while learning to design. I got the job and have basically learned on my own since then. This has been great, but I find that many of the basic things most designers trained in the field take for granted, I sometimes don't know. So while I can create you just about anything in Adobe CS2 or Macromedia Studio 8, somethimes basic design or printing terminology is lost on me. Kinda weird, I know. But I LOVE the work I do and really have a passion to get better.

Anyway, I'll wrap this up with my question. I couldn't find a place I thought this would fit, so here goes: My new boss of about 2 months now has come in and created a very tense and demeaning atmosphere. Yesterday she wrote on a proof of a rack card (promotes an exhibit) I gave her this note: "NEVER overprint a piece of artwork!! Move this up here!" A little overboard, as you can tell. She actually used capital letters and underlines. This was a photograph also used in an exhibit poster that was overprinted as well (I didn't design that one). Aside from her obvious need to control me and various other insecurities, I am wondering if there is a rule about this? I don't worry too much about changes to my work. Much of what I do gets filtered through many people, for better and for worse. But I see text overprinting artwork everywhere. Is there a design rule stating that it is a "no no" to overprint an original piece of art when using it in another layout? Thanks for reading this long-winded post.

B
    Last edited by bcossar; 07-11-2006, 04:04 PM.
    ################
    "Fishy, Fishy, Fishy Fish. And he went, wherever I, did go." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

Welcome Aboard bcossar!!

Sorry to hear of the situation at work

I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can answer your question.

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Aloha and Welcome!
      Unsure of the answer... however, someone probably does.
      Man who farts in church, sits in own pew.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome

I am actaully applying for a couple of GREAT jobs so hopefully I can escape this witch!

B
        ################
        "Fishy, Fishy, Fishy Fish. And he went, wherever I, did go." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

Comment

Good Luck B

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

There is no rule that I am aware of. This is a subjective decision based on your boss' perception and needs. It is not right. It is not wrong. It is simply what she wants.

I would not worry about the change. It is a shame she feels she must deliver the edit in a terse manner. I hope you both get to a point where communication is not a point of contention.

Just be sure to ask many questions at the beginning of a project regarding specific needs. Let her know you are more than willing to customize your design to her subjectivity. It is not a contest. It is just pleasing your new client - your boss.

Hang in there & welcome.
            Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
            Through the Looking Glass

Comment

There is a rule depending on what the original art is.
              Some museums absolutely DO NOT allow alteration of items from their collection.
              You can't crop, alter color, overprint, or otherwise cover the art without getting an approval of the final layout in writing.

Comment

I have never heard of a rule of that kind. There really are no rules in design, just because one person says you can't do something doesn't mean that is a rule. That sounds like it might be a personal preference to me. If the artist said that they do not want it altered then that might be the reason for the complained but as for a design rule there is no such thing.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
                  There is a rule depending on what the original art is.
                  Some museums absolutely DO NOT allow alteration of items from their collection.
                  You can't crop, alter color, overprint, or otherwise cover the art without getting an approval of the final layout in writing.
                  Hmmm I get promotional materials from our museum all the time. That rule does not seem to apply to them. Maybe they aren't aware.
                  Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
                  Through the Looking Glass

Comment

Ah Ha! I think we're getting there...

Thanks to all for your posts. PrintDriver is on to something. My boss used to work at <drumroll please> an ART MUSEUM! That explains a lot. Although it still doesn't explain the manner in which she delivers this information, but that is a different issue. I have seen artwork overprinted in some of the nicest magazines and even at the Art Institute of Chicago. I will have to agree with many of you in that there is no rule outside of instututional rules. And while these rules can be important, they are by no means general design guidelines for everyone. If this is her preference, should have just said so and that would be that. Instead she tries to belittle me. I just shrug it off happy in the fact that I'm not that petty.

Class Dismissed! If I had apples I would give one to all of you.

B
                    ################

Comment

Some museums don't care. Some museums do care. ALOT. It will be in your EULA on the image you license from them and you will sign off in your contract that you will abide by it. So you better read it.

A museum doing its own collateral where it is part of the approval process will probably care a lot less.

Usually you have to submit a finished piece to them as part of your contract even if you have preapproval on an electronic or hard copy proposal.

I go round for round with the National Art Gallery on occasion.
                      As well as several others...
                      :{

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X