Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ISitude
    Reply to how got project of graphic designing
    ISitude
    I've found that being able to explain why a client should go with my firm is key. Clearly showing a benefit to their brand is all important. You must be able to articulate their concerns through your...
    Today, 04:37 AM
  • ISitude
    Reply to My Life in Typefaces - Matthew Carter
    ISitude
    All I can say about Ray Gun is ...awesome stuff ...well worth studying for all those interested in learning about typography and it's various shades of gray!

Like you say <b> the most...
    Today, 04:26 AM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to Honest critique for a wedding design
    Kayekaye
    The typeface is stiff and boring for a wedding, used way too much. The border is very '70's with a nod to art deco, neither of which go well with your Chinese characters. No it's not common knowledge...
    Today, 04:06 AM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Big hello from China
    KitchWitch
    Hi Janet and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 03:08 AM
  • janetm1000
    Big hello from China
    janetm1000
    Hi there,

my name is Janet! I'm from Germany, but live and work in China.
    I used to work in interior design and did quite a lot of 3D modelling for event companies as well in my past....
    Today, 02:59 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Insert witty title here*

Hey guys!

My name is Nix and I am thinking about pursuing Graphic Design as a future career.

I am only fifteen so I still have a long way to go yet but seeing as I have to choose prerequisites I have to decide what I want to do now.

However I have a rather.... shall we say... obsessive personality?
    In the way that I like to know all the information I can find about a certain subject, especially if I am considering it as a possibility.

So I have been emailing local graphic designers both freelance and Agency however I have only got one reply back so far.

I have a Bamboo Graphic tablet as well as Photoshop Elements and SAI paint tool and am always drawing.

This I did when I was messing around on SAI, she is one of my characters and she is a Transformer.

So while I am here may I ask a few questions if that's ok?

*What do you think is better, Freelance or Agency? (Particularly for starting out)
    *How hard is it to find good work?
    *Are there any tips you could offer about starting up?

Thanks heaps guys!

Welcome aboard Nix!

I only see a blue ? Mark

We ask all new members to have a read though these important threads with our rules and FAQs. Enjoy your stay!

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

I believe the appropriate greeting would be... *grabs mic and switches on vocoder* bah weep grana weep ninny bon. *switch off* Alternatively, hi hi.

Comment

Ask away!

By the way, it's a competitive field out there so don't be discouraged if your emails aren't met with much. If you're looking for a job placement or internship, you generally need some design education first. For example, I would only accept a 3rd year design student as an intern. Many other workplaces would feel the same.

But then again, I got a couple of days at some design studios when I was 16. Just job shadowing, not internship. Worth doing to see if you actually enjoy the work. Graphic design might not be as glamorous as you think. I almost fell asleep on one of my job shadow days. I think I was watching a designer set up a text heavy book.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Since you're 15 I'll put the soft puffy gloves on...

Graphic design is only about 40% art. It's good you like drawing and playing around with raster programs but there is a lot more to graphic design beyond the pretty pictures. In all honesty it is sometimes more about making pleasing layouts that work using furnished elements rather than being able to come up with your own original art. A lot of times there isn't time in a project to spend doing original illustration nor are there clients willing to take the risk.

Not sure how the school system works in Australia so will let others from there tell you what pre-college courses to take.

The field is competitive. So many people think they can freelance directly out of school. Freelancing is a business. Not only do you have to do your clients' work on time, you also have to run said business. For a freelancer, more time is taken up hunting down work, following up on jobs, accounting, negotiating and running around town to printers' and clients' offices than actually designing. I never recommend a student fresh out of school going out on their own freelancing gig. Learn the industry first under the direction of someone you can learn something from (ie get a job).

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
          Working...
          X