Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• DanCMU
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    DanCMU
    The period, to me, makes it more of an assertion rather than a suggestion. I know that's not what that's used for (technically speaking) but it makes it pack a little more punch.

I vote to...
    Today, 11:03 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Dissertation topic
    PrintDriver
    What's a selfie?
    Just kidding.
    Narcissistic for the most part, more fleeting than a hashtag in general, and somehow people think they can make social statements with them. Society has become...
    Today, 10:48 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    <b>
    I agree, the Canoscan is a good scanner -- especially for the price. I've bought a couple of Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanners for work, and would do so again if they're still made. They've been very...
    Today, 03:54 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    PanToshi
    Adding my vote for keeping it.
    Today, 03:31 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Glad to Be Here Now!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Tess

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:44 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, My Name Is...

Hey, guys,
    I just discovered this site today and thought I would give it a try.

So here's my life story:
    I am currently a sophomore in high school. I have loved drawing my entire life, and I am now starting to get into painting as well. I have also discovered a talent for graphic arts.
    I have done work with logo design, t-shirt design, web design, album art, and a lot of other projects over the last few years. I know my way around Photoshop pretty well, and work solely with Elements 7.0 at the time being. I have a copy of CS5.5, but I haven't been able to use it because of computer problems.

I'm looking for a resource that I can use as I look forward to my eventual art major. I am still trying to determine what my major will be, but I am leaning toward web or graphic design.

I'm hoping I will find someone on this site that will be able to give me information as I need it, and give me advice as to what I should be doing this summer to improve my skills.

Thanks, and I look forward to talking to you guys.

Oh, and callmecollin

Welcome aboard collin!!

We ask all new members to have a read through these important threads with our rules and FAQs and the like.

Enjoy your stay!!

blog/portfolio

Comment

Welcome.

What should you be doing to improve your skills? Draw every time you have a chance and learn Illustrator.
      http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by sully1251 View Post
        Welcome.

What should you be doing to improve your skills? Draw every time you have a chance and learn Illustrator.
        That's basically all I do now. I try to spend as much time as I can on art. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Welcome.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Welcome to the dark side.
            Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

You ask if I have any other suggestions. No.

Drawing is not something you learn like how to drive a car. Drawing is something you continue to learn for the rest of your life. It is up you how good you can become with the abilities that you have. Drawing will help you become a better designer. You will become more sensitive to negative space, balance, light and form. As Michelangelo said, "Drawing constitutes the fountainhead and substance of painting, sculpture and architecture...". Also, as a designer, the skills you perfect in drawing will enable you to put your ideas down on paper quickly. Good graphic designers sketch out potential design solutions on paper before working on a computer.

Illustrator has been called the hardest graphics application to learn well. With practice, there are drawing skills in Illustrator that you can learn and use for years to come.
              Last edited by sully1251; 05-25-2012, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the madness.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Originally posted by The Artist View Post
                  Welcome to the dark side.
                  I love the reference!

Drawing is not something you learn like how to drive a car. Drawing is something you continue to learn for the rest of your life.
                  This is something I have definitely learned over the years. Its crazy to look back at some of my artwork from only a few years ago and realize everything that I could have done better. Yet, if I hadn't continued in my interest, I wouldn't even see the mistakes now. I will be sure to keep practicing, and I will start working with Illustrator as soon as I get a new computer.

Thank you all for the advice.

Comment

Callmecollin— If you are still working with Photoshop, until you get a new computer, practice working with the Photoshop pen tool. The Illustrator pen tool works the same way.

Comment

practice working with the Photoshop pen tool. The Illustrator pen tool works the same way.
                      I think that's the first time I've ever heard that
                      "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian86 View Post
                        I think that's the first time I've ever heard that
                        Yeah... I hate the bloody pen tool in PS...

Illy FTW
                        Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

Callmecollin— If you are still working with Photoshop, until you get a new computer, practice working with the Photoshop pen tool. The Illustrator pen tool works the same way.
                          Great to know, thank you for the advice! I can't wait until I get Illustrator installed, its such a pain working with Photoshop for some of my projects.

Comment

Get that pen tool in your hip pocket and you can make masks like crazy.

Not that you'll be drawing with it in Photoshop—practice your dexterity in using it. In "layers" adjust the opacity and the fill to zero. Open a photo and practice making a mask by following the contours exactly. Practice when to transition into a curve and when to touch-down and drag on a curve. You'll be doing the same thing in Illustrator. This is a great skill to get down well. And it can become like second nature to you. It is a great skill to have in using Illustrator or Photoshop.

When computers were installed at the large firm I was with, we were moved to another area and the drawing boards didn't come with us. We had five working days to learn Illustrator—with no classes. If you find a how-to book with a good index, you can teach yourself any application (except 3D).
                            Last edited by sully1251; 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum enjoy your stay here and I’m looking forward of being a help to you. Regards!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X