Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• neeru_m
    Reply to Need help with logo
    neeru_m
    Thanks Amit for your suggestions. I'll try to improve my logo...
    Today, 04:22 AM
  • AmitMan
    Reply to Music album cover
    AmitMan
    I like the grunge style here. Its a little hard to read at times, especially with the white text on black.

Nice work, keep up the good stuff!
    Today, 03:29 AM
  • AmitMan
    AmitMan
    I think I see what your trying to do with the underline, but I don't think its working in this case. A simple underline can help to add distance between a title and say a headline and can also make the...
    Today, 03:25 AM
  • AmitMan
    Reply to :::-----What's the graphic standards logo ------:::
    AmitMan
    I've heard of checklists and similar documents used for say ensuring your file is print ready (ensuring all digital images are at least 300dpi, file formats are corrects, appropriate bleeds etc.) but...
    Today, 03:11 AM
  • neeru_m
    neeru_m
    Sorry I just forget to mention. Its a Graphic and Web Design company logo. And the major symbol is a combination of "D" and "L" which is the first letter of company name "Design...
    Today, 02:57 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the design world, I tend to be a jack of all trades, I can literally do, or attempt to, anything. I've wanted to be a programmer since I was about eight, and started to teach myself at that age, but as I child I was interested in other things. I really enjoyed neopets, and that got me onto the world of HTML. After mastering it, I decided that all my work looked awful because I didn't know how to design. So I started creating graphics.

I've always been a bit artistic, never the best, never the worst, but after several years I had been creating graphics, getting better and better, so I decided to start doing web design. My artistic side is definitely hampered by the programming side sadly. By the time I was 13, I could program in Java, HTML, Javascript, ASP, PHP, VB, VB.net, C++, and a few more. The issue was I saw everything as a formula, even when designing. This was an issue because it hampered my creative abilities to think outside of the box.

So I'm now back at square one, trying to recapture my childhood nativity and to once again have innovative and creative designs.

Comment

• At the moment I am designing logos, tshirts, and game art.
      So... yeah.

Comment

• Going through this thread, it's kinda sad to see so many who have dropped off the planet.
        "I love deadlines. I love the 'whooshing' sound they make when they go by." - Doug Adams
        LinkedIn

Comment

• Part time television graphics artist for the athletics department of a university. We just recently signed a contract with a sports network to have our sporting events and coaches shows broadcast, so I deal a lot with them. I work with Adobe CS6 and Chyron Lyric Pro. I'm mainly here to just soak up everyone's awesomeness and get some guidance...speaking of which, I should head over to the general forum to post a question.

Comment

• i am a graphic designer (in house marketing) for a printing company that produces promotional products

95% of the things i work on are in the traditional print media realm...however i dabble with web support and email advertising but not a whole lot. i am looking to learn more multimedia in the next couple years hopefully.

i used to be a FreeHand power user and still miss those days but I am now very proficient in illustrator thank goodness...very adept at PhotoShop and can use InDesign though i dont like any page layout programs...i was even forced to use quark for a while (the dark era)...

i create a lot of flyers, brochures and print ads...oh, and i can do traditional illustrations as well (draw)---anyhoo, a little about me

Comment

• A lot has changed since I posted what I do as a 'graphic designer' a few pages back.

I'm a designer for a prominent NZ University creating materials ranging from web to print to signage.

I'm incredibly lucky to be able to see my work go from quoting it, to creating a brief for it, to charging out for it right through to keeping an eye on it through its print process (by getting up from my desk and going down a set of stairs).

I choose stock, print finishes (spot glosses, embossing, foiling) to advising on print runs.

Comment

• I didn't realise any of our universities still had their own press. I work for a company but we did heaps of work for universities up here. Design and print.
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

• There's a couple. I believe Unitec has their own.

We also have 3 working Heidelberg presses.

Comment

• Originally posted by jld View Post
                    We also have 3 working Heidelberg presses.
                    Get real friendly with the pressmen and be a sponge... absorb everything!!! Sounds like you've found yourself a grand opportunity jld. Congrats!
                    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

• Currently I'm still a student, but hopefully after school I'll grow up and be a real girl (bad Pinnochio reference, I know)

Comment

• heh, you're forgiven Hema. We all do them.

While I'm here, might as well update my little blurb. After I got laid off from my in-house nonprofit design job in January, I went on unemployment and eventually found some work as a caricaturist (at the Denver Zoo and around town) and got a short temporary job for a newspaper doing design. Now I'm still doing caricatures, freelance, commissioned paintings and back on the job trail. It's rough out there, kids.
                        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• uh oh Microswede... aren't you in Boulder?

Looks like I'm going for a baking job when I get up there next month.

Comment

• Yeah, I am. It's a bit of a drive to the Zoo, but luckily I have plenty of friends and family in Denver that I often stay with to lesson the commute. I swear I can't get any design work in Boulder, but I'm probably going to have to get a non-design job for awhile. I'm struggling with whether to stick around here or move closer to my sister and niece and my mom, who all live in Washington state. Not sure I'd have any better luck in Portland or Seattle, but I'm willing to try.

I'm also thinking of the Peace Corps. I've wanted to join since I was in college, but also wanted to jump into design work (which I did). Now I have a pretty good opportunity, and nothing but time, lol. I'm just worried I'll be even further behind when I get back than I already am.

Comment

• great. And I'm moving to Boulder cause there's no work here. Don't you get freelance work though?

I hear Seattle has a pretty good economy, if you can stand the fog... but if I were you I'd do the peace corps, no telling when and if things will get better w this new fiscal cliff nightmare.

Comment

• No kidding. I get some freelance, for design and for art - mostly custom pet portraits. I have two more to finish before Xmas. Gotta keep those connections out there.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X