Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Recomendations

Greetings all,
    I am in the process of looking for a more portable solution to doing my freelance work. I am currently hauling my laptop and my intuos pro to get things done. I would love to, and have been given the ok to, spend some money on a tablet solution.
    My question is based on your experiences, which is the preferred model? I have been looking at the cintiq companion 2, but need to know if there is another model i should be looking at.

Thanks for all of your input!

Randall

Surface pro or iPad Pro are the only contenders, I believe, but the companion 2 is best. iPad is limited to iOS apps

Comment

If you are going with the lowest end Cintiq, that only has a 64gig SSD in it and only 4gigs of RAM. If you work totally to the cloud, that will probably work, though 4 gigs is the minimum Adobe recommends. If you go for the 512gig SSD with 16gigs of RAM you may as well buy a MacBook... Pretty comparable in price at over $2400. Depending on how much of a photoshop power user you are, you may want to bring an image to a dealer and take one for a test drive. Scratch space could become an issue on the smaller SSDs.

Here are the current system requirements for the Adobe apps:
      https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-clo...emrequirements
      Be sure whatever you decide on can handle them.

What exactly do you plan to do with the tablet? Are you looking to present ideas and do sketch layout work in the presence of the client? Or are you actually going to try to work on one of those remotely all the time? Can you stand to work on a 13" screen? I've seen most designers turn up their noses at 13" laptops. I guess things change.

Comment

Hi Randall and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Thanks so much for your input. I have a studio space at home working on 20" displays most of the time. the laptop i currently use for remote work is a 17". the problem with the setup is more of how cumbersome it is than anything else. I am looking for something more compact, but has the power to do what i need. most of my work is in photoshop and illustrator, illustration, concept work, some logo and design work. anything else like layout etc i would just do on my desktop. Being able to do demos in front of clients would be great without lugging around my laptop, intuos pro, all the chords, etc etc. so I hope that gives you a little more insight.

Comment

There is absolutely nothing "compact" enough to do the work that is required. Unless you do not mind being restricted in print size and speed. When I get the funds I am going to do just that. I already thought about that problem. Your dealing Intel it seems that everything needs twice amount the ram of PPC.

Otherwise stick with what you have and consider what you will be working with.

Comment

If you want to work on a tablet I would check the software available. You will not be able to run full versions of PhotoShop or Illustrator on a tablet.

Adobe have released PhotoShop Touch for use on tablets which is a cut down version of PhotoShop Elements.

There is also Illustrator Draw available for Android but not sure about Mac software.
              Last edited by StudioMonkey; 05-12-2016, 10:09 AM.
              Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PrintDriver
                Comment on Poster for a school project
                PrintDriver
                Especially if the headliners aren't going to show up...
                Today, 04:55 PM
              • kbarry
                Reply to Projects to spruce up portfolio
                kbarry
                To be honest, some of it is dated. I've been in publishing for a couple of years and although I did do graphic design, there were several other things I did. Not a lot of things that are incredibly worth...
                Today, 03:27 PM
              • Faye F. Cagle
                Reply to Work from UK for an US company
                Faye F. Cagle
                I think it shouldn't be a problem since you will be working remotely. You can get the wages in USA bank account to avoid tax issues in the UK. It may depend on what visa category your are applying in...
                Today, 02:05 PM
              • Biggs097
                Reply to Poster for a school project
                Biggs097
                Bring the type together. Unify the typography. Something like this. Just an idea.
                Today, 01:10 PM
              • seamas
                Reply to Poster for a school project
                seamas
                Two out of three of the performers were brutally murdered (and hated each other).

That's NOT a fun party.
                Today, 01:07 PM
              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X