Audiophile Videophile Geeks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audiophile Videophile Geeks

I couldn't find a thread on audiophile videophile geekdom on this forum, but I'm guessing if anyone was more sensitive and quality obsessed with audio video, it would be fellow graphic designers.

I didn't want to join one of the dedicated AV forums just to brag about the small discovery I made because they would probably call me "Captain Obvious" on one of those forums. So I figured it would seem like less of an amateur comment on this GD forum because not everyone here is an AV Geek. But I'm sure there are more AV Geeks here than in every other social circle in my personal life.

The discovery: Ever wonder if you can tell the difference between 1080p and 1080i screen resolution? Most people I know can't tell the difference between 1080 or 720 if they even know what the numbers mean. Half the people I know don't even care if the aspect ratio is wrong as long as the picture fills the screen. Despite that, these same people will probably by a 4K TV just because it's new and expensive. But I digress.

Anyway, back to the discovery: The way to tell the difference is to pause the picture in 1080i mode. The picture should be sharper when paused. 1080p will have that same sharpness whether or not there's motion. If you don't see a difference, then either your eyes aren't sensitive enough, your screen is not big enough, or your settings aren't optimized.

Anyone else have geeky AV discoveries or funny stories to share?

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
Working...
X