Why I'll probably never be rich.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I'll probably never be rich.

It's funny. The number of times I've thought about going completely freelance doing web development, programming and design. Each time I get to the point to where I'm about to take the plunge, I scare myself back into the safety of my 9-5.

I'm pretty terrified of failure. I compare that to the risks that someone like my boss has taken. Even though he's a high school dropout, he's a millionaire now. But before he had his current successful printing/ad business (which he knew nothing about before starting, so he taught himself along the way), he had two previous businesses that failed. One was a restaurant and one was doing something else.

So after two failed business, instead of going and getting another job, he started the current business. And he told me about the early days when he would stay up all night finishing orders out of his garage just to meet deadlines.

It's weird to think that even though he didn't know if his business would do OK, he still put his livelihood on the line when I'm reasonably confident I would be fine, the fear of potential failure is enough to keep me from even trying.
    "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Well, I don't blame you. One thing that most auto-biographies and movies about the biggies fail to mention is "They had less competition". Don't get me wrong, I am not doubting their amazing intellect on their respective fields. But, today, with so many people talking about design and code and all that shit, its scary to take a leap of faith, because IF you fail, there are a million others to replace you.

What I personally feel is, now is the time NOT to take a leap of faith, but grow slowly. If you want to work on an idea, make sure its scalable, easy and something right in front of you. Start with that in your spare time, do your market research, focus on its growth and have something of 200% ROI and then use the return to invest on a better idea. Now, even if it is that you want to be a freelancer, start slow, and trust me, the day you go all freelancer 2-3 months from now, you would love to look back and see how much you learnt by growing slow. This is all just my personal opinion.

Comment

Hi Anshdeb and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Being terrified of starving has kept me from doing a number of things.
        It can be a fairly legitimate reason.
        Just don't wait too long. Some of the things I'd wished I'd done, have now become next to impossible for a variety of reasons due to old age.

Comment

I've know several immigrants from Mexico and China who have become successful business owners. All of these people came to the U.S. with nothing and now would be considered rich by most Americans' standards.

One guy in particular started a real estate business, then an insurance company and now he owns a construction business. Sounds like he's failed quite a bit but you wouldn't guess it by looking at the size of his house.

It seems the biggest key to being a successful business owner is having that drive. That drive provides you the willingness to learn what you don't know and to stay up all night trying to meet deadlines; maybe that is the only way to be successful with it.

Comment

Originally posted by calebninja View Post
            Sounds like he's failed quite a bit but you wouldn't guess it by looking at the size of his house.
            This is an interesting aspect of this topic. I've seen and known several business owners who, to the casual observer, must be making a lot of money. You see the house(s) where they live, envy the car(s) they drive, and imagine yourself enjoying their travel destinations. You can't help also imagining that they have no problems, no worries, and no threat of impending financial insecurity. Even when you know of a failed endeavor, they often appear to somehow absorb its effects, and carry on. I think this superficial "wealth" we often witness is the side-effect of business-endowed cash flow, as opposed to actual financial solvency. I suspect that if we could really know everything about the dealings involved; the risk, the debt; the precariousness; it might scare the bee-jeebers out of we who define our "comfort" in more modest ways. It's a risk/reward/comfort equation we all find for ourselves; and I'd submit it's found somewhat naturally. You've already regulated it to fit your nature; so you're already where you belong.
            I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

'cause i like fast food

Comment

Personally I'd rather be happy than rich.

Don't forget :-

1) most successful business owners are clinical psychopaths according to studies

2) Richard Branson said 'The easiest way to become a millionaire is to start out as a billionaire and open an airline . . .'
                Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X