Montréal and Boston

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montréal and Boston

The metro system in Montréal has an Orange Line, a Green Line, a Blue Line, and a Yellow Line, but no Red Line.

The system in Boston has an Orange Line, a Green Line, a Blue Line, and a Red Line, but no Yellow Line.

That is all.

Interesting.

Comment

Boston also has a Silver Line.

And Boston was smart enough to figure out that yellow doesn't have enough contrast on the maps....or for yellow stations signs to stand out amidst all the other yellow construction signs in town.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
        ...for yellow stations signs to stand out amidst all the other yellow construction signs in town.
        Right, and Montréal doesn't have that same challenge, as their road/street signage is of a much more European style; mostly white-on-red, white-on-green, and black-on-white.

I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

My son (12) would be all over this.

He is a fanatic when it comes to rail transit. He's got a pretty thorough knowledge of most of the large subway/metro lines around the world, but special knowledge of the NYC subway and MTA commuter lines.

When he was in kindergarten he could name the stops of most, if not all subway stops in NYC, and a good number of the rail road stops of the commuter trains.

He knows the model numbers of all the cars, when they were put into service and where they were built.
          He's got a pretty extensive knowledge of the histories of many of the metro lines as well.
          He studies timetables and the maps like mad.
          Lately what he likes to do wen he has free time on weekends is for us to let him go ride the trains alone--go a number of stops and then come back.

I'm not really bragging-it's more like venting.
          Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

• PanToshi
            PanToshi commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, a rail-fan in training! Have you heard of Darius? There's a movie coming out about him. http://www.offtherailsmovie.com/

• seamas
            seamas commented
            Editing a comment
            Didn't know about the movie, but I am familiar with him--I remember when he first did that. Didn't he do that more than once?

I have to say that on our many trips to the Transit Museum and to ride the holiday train that one immediately notices a very considerable number of men who are Aspergers or on the spectrum. Something about the trains and their system draws their fascination.

• Sidewinder
            Sidewinder commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I am on the spectrum. Well we ALL are, to one extent or another; that's why it's called a spectrum.

But seamas, make sure your son does well in algebra class. A spectrum dude's fascination with rail systems is connected to directed graph theory, which can be a real academic wheelhouse for him (spectrum or not).

That's awesome. So many 12 year-olds want nothing to do with real-world concepts that aren't just on-screen simulations.

A general fascination with big, mechanical things aside, trains strike a particular nerve in some of us. I'm more of a freight rat myself, but no doubt urban rail transit is even more diverse in some ways; a whole science of its own with so much to see and do.

It sounds like the boy has a great mind. Don't discourage him.
          I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
            Boston also has a Silver Line.

And Boston was smart enough to figure out that yellow doesn't have enough contrast on the maps....or for yellow stations signs to stand out amidst all the other yellow construction signs in town.
            Well no;see, the Blue Line is blue because it crosses Boston Harbor; the Green Line is green because it mostly serves the emerald necklace type area; the Red Line is red because when the color coding went into place in the '60s its western terminus was Harvard; and the Orange Line goes under Washington Street which used to be Orange Street. Mmmmmmm , oranges...

Montréal and D.C. have Yellow Lines, BART has the Pittsburg/Bay Point line, London has the Circle Line, New York has the NQWR lines. All of those systems' maps get the job done.

Comment

• PrintDriver
              PrintDriver commented
              Editing a comment
              And the silver line?
              I actually forgot there is a Purple line too.

My comment was more snide than factual. Boston isn't smart enough to figure out not to pour good money into a hole in the ground, and quite often takes the rest of the state taxpayers along for the ride.
              And the construction is incessant.
              Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-17-2017, 04:40 PM.

• Sidewinder
              Sidewinder commented
              Editing a comment
              The Silver Line does not, in fact, exist.

Even those who postulate its existence stipulate that it consists of buses and not trains.

In reality, only trains exist.

(buses schmuses)

until the 70s the tram in Vienna put its passengers off on the street side not the sidewalk and no-one could figure out why
            Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
              Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
              PanToshi
              Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
              Today, 03:46 PM
            • PanToshi
              Reply to Looking for comments
              PanToshi
              Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
              Today, 03:46 PM
            • PanToshi
              Reply to Flyer Crtitique
              PanToshi
              Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
              Today, 03:40 PM
            • HotButton
              Reply to Flyer Crtitique
              HotButton
              There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
              Today, 03:36 PM
            • pobrien
              Flyer Crtitique
              pobrien
              Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
              Today, 01:12 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X