Google Fiber

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Fiber

I stayed home from work today to have Google Fiber installed. Just performed an Internet speed test and, holy cow -- 937 Mbps downloads and 945 Mbps uploads.

You are now One with the Goog.

Comment

I'm being sucked rapidly into the Google vortex. When Apple bricked my iPad with an iOS update a few months back, I switched to an Android tablet and have never regretted it. I think my next phone will have an Android OS too.

Comment

That's too much to be amazing. I still can't believe that speed is real. Oh my gosh!

Comment

I have Google Fiber too and love it! It's so reliable.

Comment

Congratulations!
            Some day I'll be able to stop paying Comcast $120 a month for crappy, unreliable internet
            "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

With Comcast it isn't so much the internet that's crappy. It's their email service.
              There's a spam prefilter you can't control. It happens that some of my contacts get caught up in that and i never receive their emails. I've had to call Comcast about it more than once.

Would sign up with google fiber. Not holding breath that they will bring it out into the woods where I live.

Comment

• calebninja
                calebninja commented
                Editing a comment
                They've already announced they aren't expanding it any further that the city's they are already in or building in now.

• PrintDriver
                PrintDriver commented
                Editing a comment
                Boston is only a Webpass city anyway, and only for condos and apartment buildings.
                Looks like they still plan to expand into a (very) few new cities:
                https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

When we first moved into our house, the only option was Comcast. It was down and offline about a third of the time. When DSL finally made it into the neighborhood, I immediately signed up and cancelled Comcast. They kept billing me for months afterwards no matter what I did.

After my visits to their local office, lots of phone calls and bunch of threatening letters from them demanding payment for service I no longer even had, I finally ending up writing a physical letter to the Comcast board of directors. I documented everything from their service being down a third of the time to their billing that continued for months after I cancelled their service.

I got a response refunding all the money I'd paid them for their terrible service and a handwritten note from someone on their board saying that he would personally look into it. Within another week, I started getting personal letters of apology from various regional Comcast representatives all the way from regional managers to the local service technicians. It was weird, but impressive. Even so, I'll never use Comcast again.

For the past seven or eight years, our neighborhood has been limited to 3-7 Mbps DSL, which has been reliable, but sort of slow. Streaming HD video wasn't really possible. When Google announced they were going to run fiber throughout Salt Lake City, I immediately jumped on their waiting list. It's only been one day, but so far so good. It's lightening fast, $70 per month (about the same as the slow DSL), and I get a terrabyte of cloud storage on Google Drive. Google even sent me a Google t-shirt for signing up.

Comment

I'm in Charlotte where they've installed it but it never made it to my house. Supposedly the lots in my neighborhood are too spaced out to make installation worth it.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X