Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Definitely Off Topic. Looking for Personal Reviews/Feedback on Cord Cutting options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitely Off Topic. Looking for Personal Reviews/Feedback on Cord Cutting options

Basically I'm looking for personal views and pros/cons here in the US for services such as SlingTV, Playstation Vue, DirectTV Now, Hulu Live (their live TV option, not their "classic" Hulu option), YouTube TV (once again, thier live TV option, not YouTube Red or traditional YouTube), FuboTV, etc.

Bottom line what do you like, what do you hate. Oh, and I do like watching football. Don't care about any other sport, but would like to keep watching football.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

I utilize a couple of different tools.

Such as yourself, I enjoy watching the pigskin get thrown around, so I bought a $40 "antenna" that plugs into my TV and I get all the local channels as well as CBS, ABC and NBC. No monthly fee and I phrase it as "antenna" because it really looks like a flat rectangle that you attach to the wall behind your TV. Now I never miss the local football team...that is unless they play on Monday night as I don't get ESPN, in which case I go to a bar.

The second tool I use is Netflix. They have a lot of TV shows but unless you're an avid fan of The Office Netflix may not be for you. Personally I've been thinking about leaving them, just haven't yet because I am on a grandfathered plan.

I recently got a free HBO Now trial. It's just like HBO Go except it is its own stand alone streaming service, meaning you don't have to have cable and HBO to use it. HBO Now is $15 a month and you get all the HBO shows (I'm assuming all) and a decent selection of movies that get updated once a month. The only weird thing/inconvenience with HBO Now is that you have to sign up through your Apple ID or Google Play account (also Roku I think). This means I can't just "cancel" my service. I basically turn off auto payments to my account through my iPhone which is I guess the same as cancelling, however with the flip of a switch someone could easily turn the service back on and thus I would be charged.

Comment

I may get an Antenna, but most of the services I rattled off include local channels, but they might have blackouts. But, yes, an HD antenna is great to have as a backup. I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime I'm looking more for streaming options. But thanks for the feedback Calebninja.

Comment

I'd be interested to hear what you end up going with.

I recently considered getting cable (hence why I am currently using the HBO Now trial) but I don't really want to spend $50-$70 a month on a cable bill. :/

Comment

Yup. That's why I'm seeing if anyone has any personal feedback.

If you're interested, you might want to look at these options, which is what I've looked at. They all have varying mixes of channel lineups, hardware compatibility (Chromecast, Apple TV< Amazon Fire, Roku, etc.) and DVR capabilities. But most come in less than $50-70 for cable.

Anyway, I looked at Hulu Live TV (once again, not to be confused with "traditional" Hulu which is on demand of previously aired TV), YouTube TV (which is only available in select metro areas), DirectTV Now, Playstation Vue (Don't need a Playsattion, it's just a misleading name), SlingTV and FuboTV.

Comment

I gave up on both regular television and cable television years ago. I have no interest in spectator sports, so that's not an issue for me. It likely won't fit with what you're after, but for me a fiber optic cable connection and a subscription to Netflix and Amazon Prime is good enough. It's getting so that more streaming programming is available all the time, including everything from television network programs to cable shows to movies. Quite often, with Amazon Prime, a viewing a movie or a recent network program might cost an extra two or three dollars, but I like the idea of being able to choose from thousands of things and watch them whenever I want rather than being confined to a schedule. Yeah, there are some things I'm missing, but that's typically the case with a cable subscription too.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X