Artificial light in your work environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial light in your work environment

I have a home office and want to set the best light possible. However, first I'd like to hear from design fellas, who like me stare the half night at their displays, have lots of tone cards and color guides around, draw both on paper and tablets, stare at the light boxes while tracing the drawings... what's the best artificial light source we can use to save our eyes?

So, I am asking those who invested in proper lighting - which lamps to buy, how to position them; speaking of the daylight work, what's the best position for the monitor towards the window, and if there is any additional advice that can help me save my bleeding eyes - it is more than appreciated.

I like to keep my office dimly lit with only desk lamps. At work, people sometimes make comments about growing mushrooms in my office, but I can focus better if the computer display is the brightest thing in my surroundings.

I also have my monitor set to automatically adjust to a softer, dimmer and warmer color after dark. I've found doing this helps reduce the bright display from messing with my nightly sleep rhythms.

As for these things interfering with my ability to make color and tonal adjustments to what I'm working on, I haven't found that either the external lighting or display color makes a whole lot of difference. I think my mind automatically compensates. What really gets in the way for me is bright natural light from windows. I love windows and sunshine, but when working on a computer, I shut the blinds.

Comment

I like low light as well, and most of the spaces I've seen at my print vendors where the pre-flight work is done are also on the dim side. My work space at work has the shades drawn and the lighting is ''daylight'' fluorescent lamps where I can choose ''all on'' for client meetings, or a couple at a time for normal work.

My home work space is in the cellar with low warm light levels. If i want to do some hand drawing, the drafting table has two swing-arm lamps attached to it. I usually do my color illustrative work or painting upstairs in the natural light of the patio glass doors.

If you are looking at your color guides in your office light you are doing it wrong. Most color guides will be matched by printers in a metered 5000k light booth (which is fairly equivalent to daylight but not direct sunlight.) If you are approving colors in your office light you are doing that wrong too. Often, in my work, I have to take into account venue lighting or display lighting where I and my printer have to be on the same page with the output device, sometimes to the point where I have to provide fixtures for them. We won't even go into how gelled stage lighting and CMYK large format color printing can be a nightmare for color matching (think lighting color picking up the CMYK flecks of ink in different ways and shifting colors markedly, sometimes used to great effect, sometimes earning the cusswords of the lighting guy climbing the ladders to change the gels...)

Comment

Hi Pixelitta and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• B
          Reply to Graphic Design Portfolio
          B
          Graphic design almost always centers around a point, and that point usually has to do with influencing a target audience. Attractiveness -- as in looking good -- is typically more effective in doing that...
          Today, 01:50 PM
        • KitchWitch
          KitchWitch
          Hi AJ and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
          Today, 01:26 PM
        • PrintDriver
          PrintDriver
          A student of design these days needs to do everything possible to be working in the industry. Internships and part time work. You need to get experience to get ahead out there. Internships are usually...
          Today, 12:56 PM
        • HotButton
          HotButton
          In my opinion, work that's simply attractive won't necessarily lower the value of your portfolio, but you would come off as a much better candidate (for anything) if the pieces you show are accompanied...
          Today, 11:32 AM
        • Craig B
          Reply to Need some advice from Graphic Designers working in the industry
          Craig B
          I will say (and it's not a guarantee, but it can help), if you live in a big enough metroplex, sign up with a placement agency. Our company has used Aquent and Creative Circle. We've hired on contractors...
          Today, 11:22 AM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X