Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• captain spanky
    Reply to Stickers
    captain spanky
    As far as sticker printers go... i can fully recommend http://stickerobot.com ...cheap and the quality is by far the best i've had. Some stickers i did nearly 8 years ago are still stuck out and about...
    Today, 09:22 AM
  • damonharris
    Reply to Business Logo Design
    damonharris
    Logo represent you and your business. If it's presentable enough, that means you are credible too in giving services to the clients or customers. That's why it's very important in any business because...
    Today, 06:12 AM
  • damonharris
    Reply to creative business cards
    damonharris
    Choose a design that is creative and effective enough to boost your business and will get the interest of your potential customers. That's what I'm always telling my friends who are in the business. And...
    Today, 06:03 AM
  • Yehoshua
    Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    I've been exploring more with minimalism, but still trying to keep things logical. This is a 11x17 cover for a recent undergrad project I've been working on. Does it work? Why or why not? The blue wacked...
    Today, 04:22 AM
  • vaprarts
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    vaprarts
    Now i have no real experience working with clients but in my opinion you did what most designers should do. You are being hired as a designer not an artist. Its our job to create work that makes sense....
    Today, 02:58 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've moved!

Well, folks, for those of you who remember me, here's an update. I got finished with my wedding on October 1st, and we just moved into our new home in Charleston, SC. Well, Ladson, SC, but we'll just call it "The Lowcountry". As of today, we finally got the internet up for the first time, so I can start up business again.

Been missing you folks.
    Creativity is taking what is and bringing in what isn't.

missed you too, JaCk! Glad you're back in business.
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Welcome back to the party JaCK!
      "To be is to do" --Socrates.
      "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
      "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

Comment

Welcome back Jack!! And congrats on getting the move done and over! We have missed you too

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Thanks, guys! Good to be back. I hope I can participate more again, now.

Comment

We hope so too

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

All work and no GDF makes Jack a dull boy. Welcome back!
              Official lunchboxbrain blog

Comment

Welcome back Jack, how did the wedding go?
                How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

Hey Jack, welcome back.

Comment

Welcome Back!
                    Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Hi Jack and congratulations!

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

The wedding went, but unfortunately not according to plan. I'll elaborate in a bit.

Comment

Sweet, we like elaboration. Stop elaborate and listen, Jack is back with a brand new edition (his wife).
                          Less be more.

Comment

Mynock- your skills are like ice and you chill me out.

Hey Jack- congrats. Marriage is like the peace corp. - The toughest job you'll ever love!
                            I don't make mistakes. I thought I did once but I was wrong.

www.deepanchorgraphics.com

Comment

Now on to the elaboration.

We planned for an Art Nouveau themed wedding. Everything was going pretty well with that up until the last couple of days before and during the wedding day. Due to delegation mishaps, miscommunication and downright negligence on the part of some, our vision never got the chance to be fully realized. One of the greatest features to the wedding, I feel, was going to be the program that I had been designing. It had to be edited somewhat the night before the wedding, but it was going to be okay and everything was still going to go according to plan... until some disastrous printer problems came up, and finally an irreversible paper jam. I guess that's fate. I was crushed. I felt like my last great contribution to the wedding planning, and one of the most noteworthy projects, had been taken away from me. This was to be what was really going to tie everything together to be understood as Nouveau. But now, no one will ever know how everything was supposed to look.

We also had a last-minute failure with our music selection. We had to redo it with a slapped together playlist that wasn't ideally what we'd wanted. Not a great big deal, in my mind, but just one more thing to add to the list. When you spend so much time in careful planning, it really hurts.

The wedding ceremony had to be delayed by about an hour because Mark's (Anna's dad) van finally got run into the ground and crapped out, once and for all. He was caring supplies for the reception dinner. We'd all been waiting for that car to die, and it finally did. But what a day to do it.

Even the wedding cake wasn't up to the standard we'd understood it was going to be. We'd already had a test cake from the chef that was making it for us. The test cake was, in fact, delicious and it didn't look too bad. But the wedding cake, on the other hand, tasted like a sponge with chocolate icing. And goodness, it was ugly as sin. Our hors d'oeuvres order was also screwed up -- the person we delegated to handle that and place the order for us (with guidelines we sent along), got overridden to some degree by my Mom who went along with the person we sent. Mom wasn't supposed to have anything at all to do with that.

Taking second place to the programs, I believe, was the photographer we'd hired. This is the aforementioned negligence I referred to. She arrived an hour late, thought she was early and had some manner of failure with her camera, putting simply that it was "broken". A friend of Anna's and mine had brought her camera (a newly professional photographer and a secondary photographer for our wedding), so she allowed our hired photographer to borrow it. We have seen our photographer's portfolio and she did an excellent job on our engagement photos before all this, but somehow she messed up big time on the wedding. This woman is a photography professor who teaches to this day. She's supposed to know the equipment. But that aside, with the borrowed camera, she was supposed to shoot about 200 good photos (in at least the technical sense, correctly taken photos), and take in all about 800 shots. She shot 200 something. I'll go ahead and tell you that only about 30 - 40 of them are any good at all. (I'll share the better ones with you, later.) Furthermore, she failed to get some key pictures (i.e., shots of my side of the family, shots with my best man, etc.) that she was contracted to do. She was so apologetic about the camera failure when she arrived that, upon borrowing Lauren's camera (our friend), she offered to shoot the series for free. Although, a little later, she said she'd been too hasty and said she'd appreciate just a little money. Fair enough, for gas money. No problem with that. However, she shows her butt later by taking Mark (Anna's dad) aside and asking for $800 out of the $900 something she was supposed to get if she actually did what she was supposed to do. She implied to him that the $800 was half the full amount. Mark wrote the check for $800 and she cashed the check that very night in a grocery store before leaving town. She knew she did wrong, and what an unprofessional thing to do!

That pretty much sums up our gripe with the wedding. There were some good things that came of it, though. Everyone attending seemed to enjoy themselves very much, we got a lot of compliments on it. But most of the people in attendance didn't get us anything, so go figure. I'm not mad about that, but it's understood in good etiquette to at least get *something* for the married couple, and usually equivalent to at least a $50 value.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X