Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• rickinsa
    Comment on 7pt. Font size is industry standard for body text?
    rickinsa
    It was more than just putting up with a less knowledgeable person. She wanted to control everything and do it all her way. Much of what she said is so over the top wrong that it just baffles me and tried...
    Today, 08:44 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Reply to Some interesting Graphic Design debate discussions?
    MichaelWied
    Cool idea! I'm actually working on a blog myself. Just some advice that was given to me by someone who studies journalism is to have a years worth of content ready. So if it's a weekly blog, have no less...
    Today, 04:41 AM
  • garricks
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    garricks
    I bought a Canoscan based on PrintDriver's recommendation, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. It's a workhorse.
    Yesterday, 11:45 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    PrintDriver
    There aren't that many scanners to choose from any more. I use a Canoscan 8800 and I'd buy another Canoscan in a minute. Good machine.
    Yesterday, 11:39 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Client hasn't paid and is using my website!!
    Buda
    I would never hand over the work to an untrustworthy client without getting payment. You let this happen.

If you don't have a contract and deposit, take this as an expensive lesson to make...
    Yesterday, 09:35 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn the Phisherman

Ya know, some people live to piss ya off, rip ya off, do what they may just to get under yer skin.

After holding on to my brother's 46" HDTV for a year past his death, we decided to put it up for sale. After all, we really don't need 2, what with our 51". So I place an ad in the paper and also one of the local TV stations has free classifieds. So I run an ad in both. I get a couple of calls from the paper and an email from the free TV classifieds:

Hello Seller,
    I am Bob Thompson,interested in your
    46" Hitachi HDTV 1080i
    that was advertised on the internet. Please i would want to know if it's still availiable and if it is,Send me:
    .Present condition
    .Recent pictures
    .Any other details you may wish to give me.

Happy New Year!!!

Bob

I'm thinkin, cool, sounds like an OK guy. So I reply:

HI Bob!
    I don't have really any pictures of it except the one on KXLY.com under
    Community, Free classifieds, Electronics. Attached is a pdf file of the
    manual that has the specs and stuff.

The unit was purchased by my brother in the summer of 2004. He
    developed cancer in 2005, so the TV only has about 1 year of use and
    then it was put into storage in our family room. I say dollar for
    dollar compared to the tv's out today, this one is really good. We have
    the 51" Hitachi and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Give me a call if you want...475-**** is my cell. I'm home all day
    today, Sunday.

Thanks, Rick

And he replies back:

Hi Rick,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I am very much interested in the TV at your asking price. I read and understand it is in good condition.At present i'm in the IRELAND on vacation.Meanwhile,i'll then instruct my colleague back in the STATES to issue out U.S MONEY ORDER in your name and having it in mind that business is based on trust,when you receive the check,cash it in your bank,deduct the amount due for the purchase[$800]and send back the remaining funds via western union money transfer to my reputable shipping Agent,whom will take care of the pick up in your location.
    Info needed as follows:
    1)Name as to be written on check
    2)Full address to where the check will be mailed out to
    3)Phone # so as to contact you
    Looking forward to having your reply and trust.

Best regards

Bob

Holy CRAP, I Been Phished!

So I replied back to him... well, can't really put what I said.... something about what - he thought I was some f***in idiot? I'm contacting MY AGENT here in the STATES, aka the FBI, the Attorney General.

Haven't heard back from the reputable a**hole yet.

Sheesh!
    People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Hi Rick,

I want your very large TV. I currently in the Wisconsin. I will have my reputable elf in the Washington hand you a piece of string in trust...

Wow. I had no idea they phish in detail like that - off a classified!

Comment

lol, balou! The english of your language is most excitable.

This thing must be like a database. The country of his vacation, my country, currency, are all in caps, like it fills in automatically.

Have a healthy beginning day of the calendar, sphincter...(Have a good Monday, *******!)
      People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Happy phishing, oh and http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=23371.
        Less be more.

Comment

Wow that's horrible! Sad part is there are people who fall for this kind of thing.

Comment

That sucks Rick. Good luck on the sale!
            Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A.ô "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Geez Rick ... I would never have thought people would attempt something like that through a classified add

Good luck with the sale darlin

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

sorry to hear it Rick. Nothing suspicious about the all-caps randomly inserted into the text, huh?

Ugh, some people.
                "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I was recently posting some ads in various online classifieds for my brother. Just about every one of them had big warnings about not accepting any cashiers checks or money orders from anybody out of your local area. It seems they are all counterfeit. The banks accept them because they are good counterfeits but as soon as they come back as no good the bank instantly takes the money back out of your account and then you're screwed. I guess this is really common. My brother only got two responses to his ads and they were both these type scams.

Comment

*cough* http://www.419eater.com/ *cough*
                    Tapp-d
                    "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

Thanks, all.
                      And today must be my lucky day!
                      I just got another email that says that Sen.(Dr) Ibrahim Abubakar has 450 thousand US Dollars he wants to give me!

I used to get a lot of these but the past couple of years have been quiet.
                      But the flood gates have reopened.

Comment

I got one for ya Rick:

EURO MILLIONS
                        BUNDERSTRASSE 33
                        3324 BERN ECK,
                        SWITZERLAND

Dear Sir/Ma,
                        Congratulations, you have been awarded 3,000,000 Euro in the Satellite software email lottery in which e-mail addresses are picked Randomly by software powered by the Internet through the worldwide website. Your email address was amongst those chosen this year for the satellite software email lottery. This promo is proudly sponsored by the Euro millions organization.
                        You can log on to our website for more information concerning our entire lottery promo https://www.swisslotto.ch Your email address, attached to Ref number 5, 7, 14, 17, 18, 43 with Serial number 1979-12 drew the lucky Numbers 10, and consequently won the lottery in the "A" Category.
                        You have therefore been approved for a lump sum pay out of 3,000,000 EURO. Please note that your lucky winning number falls within our European Booklet representative office in Europe as indicated in your play coupon. In View of this, our security firm in Europe will release your 3,000,000-EURO to you. Our European agent will immediately commence the process to facilitate the release of your funds as soon as you contact them. All participants Were selected randomly from World Wide Web site through computer draw System and extracted from over 300,000 companies and individual email addresses.
                        This promotion takes place annually. For security reasons, you are advised to keep your winning information confidential till your claims is processed and your money remitted to you in whatever manner you deem fit to Claim your prize. This is part of our precautionary measure to avoid double claiming and unwarranted abuse of this program by some unscrupulous elements. To file for your claim, please contact our European agent assigned to you.
                        Below is his contact Info:-
                        Name: Mr. Wise Ronald
                        Email: infoswisslotto@yahoo.com
                        Tel: - +447040114798

You are to provide the following informationís to our European agent:-
                        1. Full Name: -
                        2.Contact Address: -
                        3.Country: -
                        4.Age: -
                        5.Telephone and Fax: -
                        6.Occupation: -
                        This informationís facilitate the due process of the release of winnings avoid unnecessary delays and complications in the processing of your winnings. Please always remember to quote your Reference / serial number in any correspondences with our Designated agent or us.
                        Congratulations once more from all members and staff of this program and thank you for being part of our promotional lottery program.

Sincerely,
                        Marie Jones.
                        Co-Ordinator Euro Millions Organization
                        As of today: Tuesday, January 9, 2007; 3,000,000 Euro = 3,903,180 US Dollar

I got this a couple months ago, kept it because I thought it was kinda funny.
                        pas·sion
                        If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
                        -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

That's a pretty good one Navian, it looks like it could be real. (I know it isn't)

My sister in law who lives in the Philippines and is not very computer/net savvy got one of these and I had a hell of a time convincing her it was a scam.

Comment

Thats funny. I have another one thats from an art dealer in the UK, that wants me to hold on to some valuable art. I'll try to find it.

*Edit found it. What pisses me off about it is they contacted me off an job site.
                            MATT & J Art works
                            23 Haymarket,
                            London, SW1Y 4DG
                            Rc:120032
                            [Contact phone number removed]
                            My name is MATTHEW JEFFERSON and I am an artist.I saw your advert on the
                            web for employment.I live in United Kingdom,with my two kids, four cats, one
                            dog and the love of my life. It is definitely a full house. I have been
                            doing artwork since I was a small child. That gives me about23 years of
                            experience. I majored in art in high school and took a few college art
                            courses. Most of my work is done in either pencil or airbrush mixed with
                            color pencils. I have recently added designing and creating artwork on the
                            computer.I have been selling my art works for the last 3 years and have had
                            my work featured on trading cards, prints and in magazines.I have sold in
                            galleries and to private collectors from all around the world.I am always
                            facing serious difficulties when it comes to selling my art works to
                            Americans,they are always offering to pay with a US MONEY ORDER,which is
                            difficult for me to cash here in United Kingdom. I am looking for a
                            representative in the states who will be working for me as a partime worker
                            and i will be willing to pay 10% for every transaction,which wouldnt affect
                            ur present state of work,someone who would help me recieve payments from my
                            customers in the states.i mean someone that is responsible and
                            reliable,cause the cost of coming to the state and getting payments is very
                            expensive,i am working on setting up a branch in the states,so for now i
                            need a representative in the united states who will be handling the payment
                            aspect. These payments are in money order and they would come to you in your
                            name, so all you need do is cash the money order deduct your percentage and
                            wire the rest back. But the problem i have is trust,But i have my way of
                            getting anyone that gets away with our money,i mean the FBI branch in
                            Washington gets involved.It wouldnt cost u any amount,u are to receive
                            payments which will be sent to u by fedex or usps from my business
                            patners,which would come in form of a money order then u are to cash it and
                            send the cash to me via western union money transfer or moneygram money
                            transfer,all transfer fees should be deducted from the money.If you are
                            interested,please get back to me on this email
                            (matt***********@hotmail.com)as soon as soon as possible.

Matt.
                            Last edited by Navian; 01-09-2007, 02:47 PM.
                            pas·sion
                            If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
                            -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X