Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ISitude
    Reply to how got project of graphic designing
    ISitude
    I've found that being able to explain why a client should go with my firm is key. Clearly showing a benefit to their brand is all important. You must be able to articulate their concerns through your...
    Today, 04:37 AM
  • ISitude
    Reply to My Life in Typefaces - Matthew Carter
    ISitude
    All I can say about Ray Gun is ...awesome stuff ...well worth studying for all those interested in learning about typography and it's various shades of gray!

Like you say <b> the most...
    Today, 04:26 AM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to Honest critique for a wedding design
    Kayekaye
    The typeface is stiff and boring for a wedding, used way too much. The border is very '70's with a nod to art deco, neither of which go well with your Chinese characters. No it's not common knowledge...
    Today, 04:06 AM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Big hello from China
    KitchWitch
    Hi Janet and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 03:08 AM
  • janetm1000
    Big hello from China
    janetm1000
    Hi there,

my name is Janet! I'm from Germany, but live and work in China.
    I used to work in interior design and did quite a lot of 3D modelling for event companies as well in my past....
    Today, 02:59 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Treat Your Server

I've been meaning to write something like this for years, but a friend of mine beat me to it. Enjoy, and please take heed!!

Servers are people too! The next time you're out eating at a restaurant, look at your server. Do you think they are really happy to be doing that job? The answer is no, they are not, but it's what we do, and we do it for the money so please help them out. Its a tougher job than you think and you should pay them accordingly!

There are SO many people out there flooding the restaurants w/o any knowledge of how to behave or tip. Here is a short guide for the general public to follow. Feel free to print out and store in your wallet and/or purse.

1. CHILDREN "THE LITTLE DEVILS":
    If you have children, DO NOT let them, open and dump anything on the table (ie; salt, sugar, etc). IF YOU DO, you must leave an extra $5 for the server to clean up YOUR CHILD'S mess & to restock the now unusable wasted items. We are neither their babysitter nor their parent. The least you can do is pay us for the extra work. Also make sure you control your kids and don't let them scream or run around the restaurant. It's very distracting not to mention dangerous if they get ran over by a server with hot food in their hands.

2. "THE CAMPERS":
    If you feel the necessity to stay for longer than 15 minutes after you pay, its an extra $3 every 30 minutes. We make our money from the tables. If you are in one and we can't seat it, we don't make money.

3. "THE VERBAL TIP":
    Telling a server they are the best server they've ever had is NOT a tip. If we are good, let us know by leaving us more money. We cant pay our bills on compliments. Its not that we don't appreciate the praise, its just that if you say that and then leave a shitty tip it's an insult.

4. THE SALVATION PAMPHLETS:
    Prayer cards and any other religious pamphlet is NOT a tip. Jesus doesn't pay the bills!! It is insulting that you assume we are w/o religion and must save us. Again, like ..3, we cant pay bills w/prayer cards. We'd go to church on Sundays if it wasn't mandatory to work on Sundays because EVERYONE who goes to church follows it by eating out.

5. TIPPING:
    It's not 1960. 18s the MINIMUM amount of what you should be tipping your servers. We'll break it down for you....just look at the tax line and multiply by 2-3, this gives you your minimum tip amount. Remember, our companies pay us minimum wage ($2.63) And we are taxed on 10 percent of your meal automatically anyway. So if your meal is $100 and you leave $10 and we tip out $4-5 to the busser, then $4-5 to the bartender, and whoever else then we pay tax on 10 dollars and we make $5. It seems small but it adds up. How many times do you eat out per week and do this?

6. THE COMPLAINERS:
    If you get a discount because of your food was prepared wrong or you just feel like being an *******, don't take it out of our tip. We didn't cook it. The cooks get paid hourly regardless if the food sucks. However, we only make what you give us.

7. THE LATE ONES:
    If you come into the restaurant 10 mins before closing or any time near closing hurry up and order your food and get out. No better yet....don't come in AT ALL. I'd rather not have the 5 extra dollars you're going to leave on your $60 check. Thanks anyway... Closed means closed, not social hour. What no one seems to realize is that if customers are there, we are there no matter how late they stay. We recommend 24 hour establishments such as Dennys if you wish to sit into the wee hours of the night.

8. THE GREET:
    When we come up to the table to greet you and we ask how you are doing please let us know. If you are in a bad mood we want to know that we are going to have to deal with your attitude the entire time. A confused stare or complete silence does not suffice as a reply to "How are you doing?". Also stop interrupting our greeting and say "I want coffee", "Can we get some bread?", or "What are the soups?" But please there is no need for life stories...we aren't telling you ours are we?

9. THOSE DAMN CELL PHONES:
    Seriously! Get off your phone...This is probably the rudest thing to do. If you must be on your cell, at least keep your voice down in respect for other customers. If you are on your cell phone when we walk up to greet your table we will walk away and not return until you get off your phone. All we ask is MAYBE two minutes of your time. So get off your phone. If you want to be rude to the guest with you, by all means, go right ahead.

10. THE IMPATIENT ONES:
    Ahh yes... If a server comes to bring out your drinks and she/he is juggling about 5 things don't ask "Are we going to get some bread???". Do you not see their hands are full, does it look like you are going to get some bread at that moment. Clearly you will get bread, but ubless the server can magically make bread appear, your question is ridiculous. Some people at your table might want their drink first, so thats what I'm bringing right now.

11. THE ONES WHO RUN YOUR ASS OFF:
    If a server comes to your table and asks "is there anything else I can get for you?" I want you to tell me everything you need. Don't ask for one item, have me go and get it and on returning ask me for something else...and then keep doing it. Think of EVERYTHING you will need to make you happy and tell me ALL AT ONE TIME. We do have brains and can remember things... and last time we checked you aren't the only people in the restaurant, we have other tables that need us, and can't spend all night running back and forth.

12. SELF-SEATING:
    Once again...it is not 1960, and most restaurants are not on a "seat yourself" policy. Don't just assume that the area near the bar is a place where you can sit yourself down wherever you want. There is actually a reason hosts put you where they do. Hosts try to rotate tables, ensuring that each server gets the same amount of tables, and also so that servers do not get three tables all at once. This helps guarantee you get the best service possible. Therefore don't ask to sit somewhere else once a host has brought you to a certain table either....RUDE. If you are unsure about the restaurant's policy and there is someone standing at the door staring at you when you walk in, you can bet that's a host and they will inform you. Waffle House is the only place it is acceptable to sit at a table still left dirty from the party seated there before...and please feel free to go there.

13. ORDER TAKING:
    When the server comes by to take your order, don't say that you are ready if you really aren't. Although it may seem fun to keep your server standing at your table for endless amounts of time while you actually decide what you want, there are once again other tables and other things that need to be done.

14. ASKING TO SEE THE MANAGER:
    If your food sucks and you ask to see the manager don't make us sound like incompotent *******s. We bust our asses to make you happy, we dont cook your food so please STOP taking it out on us

15. 10c SUNDAYS
    Just dont go out on sundays. Seriously don't. Stay home and cook your own food. Sunday is no diffrent then Monday-Saturday yet people love to shaft you on sundays, why? So do us all a favor and stay home. Especially the first week of the month, we dont want a whole $2 out of your welfare check.

if u r a server, u can relate... if not, read carefully and take this advice!

please pass along!

blog/portfolio

I treat my servers by turning them off every now and then to cool down and clear the RAM.

oh... sorry... You mean waitstaff!!
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
    mediamainline.com
    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

That's great Virgo

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale
        5. TIPPING:
        It's not 1960. 18s the MINIMUM amount of what you should be tipping your servers. We'll break it down for you....just look at the tax line and multiply by 2-3, this gives you your minimum tip amount. Remember, our companies pay us minimum wage ($2.63) And we are taxed on 10 percent of your meal automatically anyway. So if your meal is $100 and you leave $10 and we tip out $4-5 to the busser, then $4-5 to the bartender, and whoever else then we pay tax on 10 dollars and we make $5. It seems small but it adds up. How many times do you eat out per week and do this?
        I didn't know servers were taxed on ten percent of a meal. That sucks!

Although where is it that the minimum wage is $2.63? That's less than the paltry federal minimum.
        "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

even the paltry federal minimum doesn't apply to people who have the potential to earn tips.

I have always tried to be good to my waitstaff. My friends always look at me like I have two heads when we go out, because after we eat I pick up all of our dishes and stack them neatly on one side of the table so our server doesn't have to take the time to pick them up.

I also tip well... I don't get to go out very often (once every few months if I'm lucky) but I plan on a good tip as part of the cost of the meal.

Actually, some friends and I used to go to a restaurant/pub every week in college for discount wing night, and we almost always had the same waiter. He was very good to us, really friendly and attentive, and we tried to be good to him in return. Around Christmas time we pooled together and left him a very large tip, and he chased us down before we got out of the restaurant and told us he couldn't accept it because he knew we were putting ourselves through school.

I think that it's really just a matter of common courtesy... if more people treated each other the way they wanted to be treated, this world would be a much better place.
          "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I agree, Mo.

I just didn't know that servers were paid less than the minimum wage because of the potential tip factor.

I tend to be a pretty generous tipper.

Comment

when I was a waitress in the UK as a young un when customers filled in a tip amount on a credit card slip we never saw any of it, so I always tip cash, although I'm not sure if that happens in the US. I always try and clear up the carnage the kids create too as no amount of money aleviates the guilt involved with taking my filth wizards out to eat!
              at best my spelling *and grammar* is crap and at worst it are be carp

Comment

I usually tip at least 20%, but I generously round UP. I won't give a tip of less than a dollar, even if my bill is only a dollar.

You've got to really piss me off to not get tip from me...

When I get my hair done or anything like that, I also tip all the staff. Not just the hair dresser, but also the girl who washes my hair, waxes my brows, or anybody else involved. These things are a $5 tip minimum.
                Last edited by Ned; 02-09-2007, 02:14 AM.
                Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                mediamainline.com
                cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

When service was really bad (and I'm not talking about the food, but the service), my mom used to leave a penny as a tip, instead of leaving nothing, to make a point about how she felt about how she was served. Didn't happen very often, she isn't super picky that way, but I do remember it happening once or twice. Most of the times, she tips very generously.

Comment

I thought this server was about computer server....

We don't tip in this country. We have a reasonable minimum wage instead. It's something like $11.50 - though that is NZ $ so it might convert to crap all US dollars. ...Does US have a minimum wage?
                    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Yes, it's currently $5.50 (I think) federal, and about 20+ states have their own different minimum wages that exceed the federal minimum wage. For example, California's minimum wage is $7.50.

Comment

I'm proud to say I'm very good to my servers, and pretty much anyone that I am paying a service for. I always say please, thank you, make eye contact, chit chat and be receptive, usually tip at 3x the tax, etc. It really pays off. I get lots of smiles, a phone number here and there, free drinks sometimes. It's really in your best interest to be kind and polite to others. Not that I do it just for that reason, but really, why not be nice?

I really can't understand why a person would be rude to their server. How many boogers do you think those people have eaten?

Also, a good way to judge someone's character when you are on a date or a business lunch or whatever is to pay attention how they treat the waitress and the servers. If they look at them and say thanks when their food is served, chances are they're a nice and polite person. If they are rude to them, its a pretty good indicator of how that person will be to you in the near future.
                        Last edited by CamDesign; 02-09-2007, 06:33 AM.
                        "To be is to do" --Socrates.
                        "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
                        "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

Comment

Originally posted by budafist
                          We don't tip in this country. We have a reasonable minimum wage instead. It's something like $11.50 - though that is NZ $ so it might convert to crap all US dollars.
                          That's about $9.00 USD.
                          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                          mediamainline.com
                          cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Minimum wage here (per month) is 5000 Kesh = approx 71.50 USD.

That's not much, but with tips it can go up to about 6000 per month, it's a pittance...barely enough to rent you a shuck in Kibera and one meal a day.

Tipping is not a culture here, except in large establishments.

Once a couple of friends and I took another friend on a birthday dinner to a 4 star Chinese restaurant, when the tip came the waiter whispered to me that the bill did not include "service charge" (read tip ) I did not get the term at first.

I think 10% is reasonable for "service charge".
                            Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
                            - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Yeah, our minimum wage doesn't translate so well when you consider that Americans can get that in some states as well as tips on top.

Virgo, what's the ratio of your weekly earnings tips vs wages? Is it equal to each other? If so, then American hospo have it way better than here. Though there are a million other things to take into account - such as the cost of living in different countries etc...

In my limited experience of tipping, it seems that the most wealthy looking people don't tip and it's the people that look like they need the money that do tip. I guess they know what it is like. Example, my bf will go 3 days without lunch because he's out of money, but he always lets people (such as deliveries, taxi drivers, bartenders) keep his change when he buys things.
                              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X