Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Review Weekend of August 7th

sorry this is so late...hell of a week!

The Manchurian Candidate

This is a remake of the 1962 film of the same name. Evben though I haven't seen the original I can guess that it is based on that film and not an exact remake. Still with this cast...how can it not hold up.

One of my favorite actors today, Denzel Washington plays Captain Ben Marco who served in Kuwait at the start of the Persian Gulf War in 1991. Marco and his troop are ambused by some milatants, all seems bad but thanks to the heroic Raymond Shaw (Liev Schreiber) thye make it out and Shaw is awarded the Medal of Honor. Fast forward to 2004 and Shaw is a congressman but he is soon thrown into the mix of the presidential election and thanks to his political savy mother, Eleanor Shaw (Meryl Streep) shaw is nominated to run for vice president.

Marco still is in the military but after he is approached by one of his former troops and asked about the ambush in 91 and the accuracy of it all. The plot starts to thicken. We learn All the troops (most of which are dead) have has dreams about that happened that day. but they don't fit with what they 'remember'. Marco contacts shawbut is seen as a wacko and he has some history to back it up. Eleanor , you soon find out is the mastermind in all that is going on. that is pretty appearant from the beginning.

This flick has some good twist and turns but it's nothing like other 'conspiracy' movies have touched upon. you have to have an open mind about this. As brainwashing is a huge part of it. but it's interesting, none the less. Like I said, the cast is great. Denzel is at the top of his game as usual. Jon Voight is also in this movie and I always enjoy his performances.

Few of you ex-military might really enjoy it. Very big on the brotherhood, etc. the funny thing is that with the election coming up it does make you think, is Bush brainwashed? [img]/emoticons/dry.gif[/img] We can only hope so.

Cool poop

The Butterfly Effect: Director's Cut

I saw this in the theatre when it came out and is one of the best of the year so far. so I knew I wanted to get the DVD. I learned there would be a directors cut version of the film. I had heard that the ending was changed cause the original ending wasn't 'Hollywood' enough. So I was interested.

First off the film is about Evan Trebor (Ashton Kutcher) who as a young boy starts having blackouts. Periods of time where he has no clue what happens. Evan has some problems, his dadf is in a mental institution and his friends' dad is a pedophile. Kayleigh (Amy Smart) is one of those friends who Evan eventually falls for to the dismay of her brother, Tommy (William Scott Lee). tommy turns out to be a little a-hole which eventually comes to ap oint where Evan's mom decides they have to move. so they move away with Evan swearing to come back for Kayleigh. Well years later Evan is in college and he has had no blackouts for 7 years. but one days he starts to read his journals that he wrote as a kid (to help him remember what had happened before the blackouts). this is where you have to open your mind. It seems Evan can now travel to the place he blacked out in the past. so with this 'power' he can change the course of some stuff. But by changing one thing it sends a ripple effect and the outcome is not always better.

the movie is weird... but in a good way. I thought it was very creative and i actually thought Ashton did a good job. i'm not a big fan of his. Now the original movie tidies everything up in a nice package like you would expect. Directors cut... so much better! LOVE this ending. I have no clue why they didn't go with this cause it fits the mood of the film more. Of course I won't ruin it for anyone but see the Theatrical Release first and then watch the ending of the DC. worlds apart and it makes it a much better movie in my eyes.

Cool poop +

This weekend I doubt I will be able to see anything as I will be going to Chicago for the big Wizard World Comic con to debut my comic I have been working on. i'll post something about it in another thread. but who knows I might try to slip in Aliens vs Predators as that is one of my most anticipated films this summer.

'I will become the most powerful Jedi ever!'
    "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

i'm sick of director's cuts dvd editions. but this could be good.
    good luck on your comic!

:mushy sushy in coconut oil. yum yum:
    i need wii friends =)
    5289 3036 7758 7104

Comment

yeah, the butterfly effect rocked! i just saw it last night... sometimes desturbing, but overall it was very good! 9/10

<SUP>www.jdcgraphics.net<SUP>- currentlyunder construction

www.standercreative.com

Comment

Oh sweet!! I saw the butterfly effect in a dollar theater and really liked it. I didn't even know there was a director's cut. And knowing is half the battle. DeeeefffJoooeeeeeeeee!

Comment

The director's cut owns. See it.

Support Music and Arts Education | www.dafenix.org | 'You have no chance to win.' | GDF Mac Death Squad, Son

Comment

I rented this a while back, and watched it. I watched the Diretors Cut, but never saw the original. Now I'm curious about the difference.

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.'
            - Albert Einstein
            ProudPenguin
            P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

I liked the butterfly effect....a bit freaky and messed with yoru head, but overall I thought it was a really good movie.....

But I heard a lot of people say it wasn't good or they didn't like it, i Dunno why....

I wanna be like Case when I grow up!

Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists.... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence.

Comment

cause people suck and don't have the attention span

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

I thought is was great. Very well-made. A little disturbing too. I want to know the difference between the two versions. Was the theatre one less violent or something?

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.'
                  - Albert Einstein
                  ProudPenguin
                  P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

I wanna know what the alternate ending is in butterfly effect, that movie was awesome, guess ill have to rent the dvd now.

5 midgets......spanking a man....covered in 1000 island dressing. Is that love making? - Token
                    ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

can't really say Ryan...not more violent...just different and makes more sense in context with the movie.

Comment

I liked the DC ending. Weird, but it made sense. Caught me off guard.

- Albert Einstein
                        ProudPenguin
                        P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                        Working...
                        X