X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• applying for a graphic design job

Hey everyone, i'm back, it's been awhile, but i stumbled back on here...One question, how far should you go when designing a resume for a graphic design job?...I'm now in that moment of life where i have to look for a job, just graduated from college and i'm having beef on how far i should go, like should it just be like a regular resume with a simple water mark that represents you, or what...i'm lost i would really like to hear what you guys think Thanks lots
    -Silverchick

'Mistakes dont mean a think, unless you regret them'
    -Daniel Johns 2000

I think that your resume should reflect you and your skills, if one of your skills is designing a killer identity package then by all means do it. Make it professional and eyecatching but not gaudy or overdesigned. I have had people tell me that my self identity package is what got me the interview. They said they had to meet me even if my resume wasn't exactly what they were looking for. This is both good and bad. Some of the people just wasted my time to see my portfilio even when they knew that they were not going to hire me. But the more interviews you go to the better you become at it. I think it would actuall be a bad thing for a designer to use a template resume or 'blank' resume design! If I were looking at hiring a designer I would expect the resume to be cool...

Comment

make sure it's faxable. VERY rarely do you mail anything in anymore. Even faxing it is becoming an age old thing. Email is the prefered choice so keep that in mind.

'I will become the most powerful Jedi ever!'

'I'm the damn designer, bitches!'
      "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

Great suggestion Def! I forgot about that!

Comment

You'll never make any money working for someone else...

Start your own business! Be your own boss. You don't need no stinking job. Be Creative!

This is something no one has tried. You know those hot-dog stands with the umbrella atop that you see in NYC, LA, Chi, Philly, elsewhere... A Graphic Design Cart in the financial heart of a city - busy execs stop by get a logo, with corporate imagery on the side! And who sells it to them? You do! And You Are the First to do it. Next thing you know you're opening GD Carts in other cities - I smell a Franchise!!!!

Point is - you're a creative - why limit yourself. Want something great to learn how to promote yourself? The Best book I've seen for that lately is 'Get Noticed' by Clark and Lennert. It's super!

Give it a try. Buy it at one of those half-price places. Think Different...

BB~:0)

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
          Working...
          X