Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to Happy Last Friday of August!!!
    PrintDriver
    Kitty and Kool, thanks for the years of making Friday mornings fun.

Re other chat platforms, I've given up fighting "progress"
    I'm waiting for drones to deliver my groceries...
    Today, 03:52 AM
  • kibblex
    Illustrator Gradient on Grouped Objects
    kibblex
    I've been working on my logo. I pathfinder'd the P out of the B and now the pieces are grouped. When I apply a gradient from the gradient panel, I can't seem to adjust it with the gradient tool the same...
    Today, 03:26 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Happy Last Friday of August!!!
    PanToshi
    Thanks for keeping the home fires burning for us all this time, Miss Kittie. It is sad to see the QOTW go, but there just haven't as many jokes of late.

Have a great weekend everyone! Enjoy...
    Today, 02:48 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Happy Last Friday of August!!!
    PrintDriver
    Your last sentence holds alot of truth. Members are socializing elsewhere. It's only a matter of time before the traffic doesn't support the upkeep.
    Today, 02:40 AM
  • Kool
    Comment on Happy Last Friday of August!!!
    Kool
    I didn't mean the forums time had past, just the Friday post.
    Today, 02:07 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Interview Tips?

All right folks, I need you to lend me your expertise... I have an interview tomorrow for a position as an Assistant Graphic Artist, and my nerves are starting to get shaky. I haven't had to do this in a while, and I'm not really sure what to expect.

My background is in printing/prepress and I've been doing freelance design work for a while now. I'm reasonably confident in my abilities, but the hiring manager gave me some 'attitude' over the phone when I told her that I have an Associates degree - not a Bachelors. (The ad I responded to didn't list any educational requirements!)

Any advice or suggestions? Or should I just let my portfolio speak for itself? Help!

You know what are neat? Sheep. Because they're wooly, and if you pick them up, they scream!

Post Edited (morea) : 8/30/2004 8:13:01 PM GMT
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Morea, mind posting a subject heading next time?

"It's not cheating if you win."

- A VERY wise person.

Comment

whoopsie!

You know what are neat? Sheep. Because they're wooly, and if you pick them up, they scream!

Comment

Interviews that have always gone well for me (and get me the job) are the ones where I ask questions. But make sure they're the right questions. You don't want to go close to pay, vacation, bennies or any of those type of things in the 1st interview. Save that for when they've decided they want you. I always go with questions like work flow, coworkers, work environment, recent projects, why the position is open, upcoming projects, projects that went well or didn't, hardware/software... you know that sort of thing.

Comment

look at it as an introduction, not an interview. i know it sounds silly, but if you have the confidence and relaxed nature of someone who's just going in to say 'hello! here i am! what can we do together?' rather than someone who's frightened of interviews, it'll make you less of a target. or feel like less of a target.

and nobody's out to get you - they're just trying to fill a position. so be that person! or not. you can turn down work if it's not the right role for you - you have a say in all this!

good luck - let us know how it goes.

:: i go out on friday night and i come home on saturday morning ::

Comment

relax be yourself and befriend the person... if you can bang em it usually softens the mood a bit

'yes here is your logo' - zartan
            'um dont like it can you add a swoosh?' - zartan
            'No I am the designer bitch now pay your bill!' - zartan
            - client leaves -

Comment

Always remember when interviewing:

1. Never spit on the walls during the interview. Try to use the spittoon and if one is lacking, discreetly spit in the corner.

2. Do your best to avoid injuring anyone, especially if they are unarmed. Remember, they are likely only looking at you out of curiosity and mean no harm in their stares.

3. Watch your language. Words such as mother pancaker, crap face, son of a bitch, fat bastid and other similar words and phrases, while they may be appropriate once hired are to be avoided during the interviewing process.

4. Be very careful of making bodily sounds that may be acceptable at home or on your previous job, but probably would prove embarrassing during an interview.

5. And finally, regardless of the proximity of the interview date to Saturday, it is advisable to bathe the day of the meeting as a courtesy to the others present.

If you will follow these simple suggestions, your interview should run smoothly and garner for yourself a top-notch new job! Good Luck!!

Post Edited (BuckarooB) : 8/30/2004 10:01:42 PM GMT
              BB~:0)

Comment

DO NOT.....I repeat....DO NOT, wear your underwear on the OUTSIDE of your clothes.....I did that once... [img]/emoticons/frusty.gif[/img]

oh wait....am i still dreaming?

digitalcamwhore
                ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

I love you guys! [img]/emoticons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

treat it like a conversation. That seems to ease me. I'm extremely shy (until you get to know me.), and sometimes it comes across like I'm some kind of b*tch, but just conversate, and ask questions...don't pick your nose or anything...even if the boogies are sharp.

Don't wear clothes or shoes you would only wear to a club...I came in on the tail end of someone else's interview and she was dressed to..._ _ ck, if you know what I'm saying...

I'm rambling now.

'To Design is much more than simply to assemble, to order, or even to edit; it is to add value and meaning, to illuminate, to simplify, to clarify, to modify, to dignify, to dramatize, to persuade, and perhaps even to amuse.' --Paul Rand

Comment

I know exactly what you mean.... but what with *me* being female, and the interviewers *BOTH* being female, I didn't think that would help?!

Course, if it does, I'll post pix! [img]/emoticons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X