Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• B
    Reply to Portfolio advice/criticism
    B
    I'm mostly just curious, but you're apparently from Korea, yet your work is primarily in English. Is that common?

As for your work, I like it. The warm, dark reds, browns and amber hues have...
    Today, 06:52 AM
  • Gwishin
    Portfolio advice/criticism
    Gwishin
    Hey guys!

This is my first post here, and I was hoping to get some feedback and advice/crticism about my "work". Im very curious about what you guys think, specially the ones of...
    Today, 04:47 AM
  • crdunsto
    Freelance Work/Volunteer Experience on Resume/Applications
    crdunsto
    I'm applying to several colleges over the break (SVA, MICA, Memphis, MCAD, SCAD, FIT, Parsons), and need advice on how to reference my freelance work from late 2012 up to now.

Name of Organization...
    Today, 03:52 AM
  • FredBouffard
    Reply to Law Firm Website Redesign
    FredBouffard
    Your website will always reflect the kind of business you offer so it is just in time that you update your client's website. I like the large header, but the text on the upper portion of it looks dated....
    Today, 01:29 AM
  • FredBouffard
    Reply to LOGO icon opinion
    FredBouffard
    Looks like a bull right but it needs a little bit of polishing and enhancements. Bulls have basically long, curved very pointed horns so you can work on that. And maybe fiercer eyes....
    Today, 01:23 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATARI

I just learned a valuable lesson.

DON'T DRINK AND SURF

In a moment of nostalgia, I decided to see if Ebay.com had any listings for a copy of "STAR RAIDERS". One of my favorite Atari games.

They didn't. But for $5.00 I bid on a box of Atari crap that INCLUDES "Star Raiders"

My max bid is $40. I'm willing to go to $300.. Die all you Atari craving bastards!

Then I remembered that my joysticks weren't working all that well the last timeI played... I think I stored them in a box with my E.T. Rubix cube....

Yup. Ebay has Atari Joysticks. $$$$$

The whole thing led to an episode of researching the history of Atari. Bringing up a whole SLEW of memories about COMPUTE magazine subscriptions and COMMODORE 64 and remembering that i have a PORTABLE TRS-80 in the basement that still boots off of 5 1/4" floppies and has an amber screen...

I bought 400 shares of ATARI (ATAR)

Which..

I should have done in 1979.

I am an IDIOT.

Care to share a tacoobie?

OOOOO I loved Atari when I was little..I had one..and I had the car race game..dont' remeber what is was called though....I had some other game to..some space like game...

"BAN!"

Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists.... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence.

Comment

Pole Positition DD!!

I....was the Centipede queen!

Screw you guys....I'll take you all on in that game....ANYDAY! I'll mop the floor with you and your sorry a$$ LOW score!
      Ahemmm....umm...excuse me....got carried away I think maybe ;o)

My step brother has my Atari. Humm..may have to steal that one back now that you are making us ALL nostalgic Key! LOL!

Boobie Island or Bust!
      I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

*****cool.*** who knows atari. ****up right******* man.

Oops. Language filter is down isn't it?

I love children but I don't think I could eat a whole one......again.......today.

Post Edited (Keyare) : 9/16/2004 2:18:58 PM GMT

Comment

Hey DD, that avatar looks awfully familiar [img]/emoticons/tongue.gif[/img]

And Key, I remember both Atari and Commodore, they were both great gaming systems, you suck since you still have one.

digitalcamwhore
          ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

I had to get rid of my C=64 to buy my Amiga 1000 back in '86, but I've still got that; I actually dug it out of the boxes about a month ago and set it up on my 'real' workbench in the garage, and it's still there! My four-year-old son loves it, thinks it's HIS now... [img]/emoticons/dry.gif[/img]

As for my Atari, my parents still have it, woodgrain and all (I have the original VCS, not the newer 2600 with only four switches). Reading your post, Keyare, and it looked as though you were reflecting my position (no good joysticks, C=64 interest, stack of COMPUTE! issues sitting in a box in the basement hopefully not moldering away, drunk surfing where you shouldn't be)! I think I still have Star Raiders, too, along with a few driving games... I had Indy 500 (only game to work with the included full-spin controllers), Night Driver, and a sweet Activision game called Enduro! To this day, driving games are still my favorite use of the PC (I recently had a friend in Hungary ship me a copy of Richard Burns Rally, which is only available in Europe and I have no idea why, it's the greatest rally sim EVER).

Did you know you can download an emulator for the 2600? It's called STELLA, and it's a perfect emulation of the Atari VCS: Get it HERE. You still have to find ROM images for it (I can't post any URLs for them here, because of legality issues), but once you do, you'll be hooked all over again! I've even got this on my Mac, but currently my SuSE Linux box houses my collection.

There are emulators for just about any old computer system you can think of, even the C=64 and Amiga! I've got emus for Atari 800, ST, Intellivision, and the thoroughly spectactular MAME emu, which emulates multiple arcade machine systems... too fun!

There's a real large following now for 'nostalgic' computers and gaming systems. Even Atari has begun to capitalize on it: they make a tiny little game system which looks like the original 2600 joystick, and it plugs into your TV and includes the guts of the 2600 and 10 games (there's also one like this for Intellivision).

As for the Atari stock, you could buy worse. They're producing some decent games (Unreal Tournament 2004 for example), so hopefully they'll 'come back' soon.

Meanwhile, I'm powering up my Linux box to have some Stella fun! [img]/emoticons/thumbsup.gif[/img]
            Dan
            CATALYST Techworks Consulting

Comment

I *loved* Downland and Temple of Rom for the TRS-80.
              And joust for the atari.
              <sigh> They don't make 'em like they used to.

You've gotta do what you've gotta do.
              "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I had the Atari..that was it..but...but...it was all I needed!!

OMG Torque - did you say AMIGA! Haa! wow the good ole days indeed! LOL

Oh and Key - language filter still works..just not fer us ;o)

Boobie Island or Bust!

Comment

remember for the ends of the joysticks got frayed and then the plastic would cut into you?

Pitfall... that game NEVER ended.

'I will become the most powerful Jedi ever!'

'I'm the damn designer, bitches!'
                  "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

I wish atari replied to my applications, they are always on hotjobs.com

~Everyday, All the Time, Without Fail!
                    Tapp-d
                    "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

they are up there too, right? they in Beverley or something? Parker Brothers toys and games use to be up there but didn't they get bought out by Hasbro or something?

You know that Hasbro's main office is in Providence, RI? (or it might be Pawtucket... but does it matter? RI is the sixe of my backyard!)

'I will become the most powerful Jedi ever!'

'I'm the damn designer, bitches!'
                      "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

**Marketing Side Note**
                        The Northern California based company named themselves ATARI so that people would think they were a hi-tech company from Japan. (when i first read that i was thinking, 'wait, so they aren't from japan!?!')

Centapede was the BOMB!

<SUP>www.jdcgraphics.net<SUP>- currentlyunder construction

www.standercreative.com

Comment

Yes it was Silence! It STILL is...haha

Got a pub back home that still has it in there...let's all meet there and have a 'Centaped-a-thon'

haa!

Boobie Island or Bust!

Comment

We never had an Atari but we did have the Intellivision, that thing was the size of a small harpsichord, and had about the same range of sounds that it could make. Anyone ever notice that the sound that the Burger Timeguyssalt shaker made when it was empty sounded a lot like a light saber? Lucas you hack! First it was Frank Herbert, then Burger Time...

Match in the gas tank, boom boom.
                            • match in the gas tank, boom boom •

Comment

My favorite game was 'Armour Ambush' and 'tron Deadly Disks' for the Atari 2600.

Brad, what kind of Atari are you looking for? I still have mine...it's a 2600 with about 15 or 20 games...

"It's not cheating if you win."

- A VERY wise person.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X