Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Alexander.aXy
    Reply to From Architect House Plan to Realistic 3D model
    Alexander.aXy
    Thanks guys,

I thought i could do it in 24h, but i realised meanwhile that it was impossible. The software are complicated enough.. I had a friend to help me and i was able to show it to...
    Today, 10:29 AM
  • sybli
    Comment on How well do you see color? (fun & games)
    sybli
    The highest I managed was 35. But I think the levels are generated by the program and there will be a new level as long as there is still time left on the clock, no matter how fast you are.
    Today, 09:20 AM
  • sybli
    Comment on How well do you see color? (fun & games)
    sybli
    I have noticed the same thing with me, only with dark green. I'm averaging 25 but I made it to 35 only once and that was a lucky streak without any dark greens whatsoever.
    Today, 09:18 AM
  • fynch
    Reply to Help with logo "fynch"
    fynch
    Here are some of the other Idea's I've had roughly made up in illustrator. I also tried another variant of the original logo, editing the font a little bit and sticking to the egg idea rather than the...
    Today, 06:31 AM
  • fynch
    Reply to Help with logo "fynch"
    fynch
    Hi guys thanks for all the input,

@Kitchwitch thank you for the welcome Ill go over and check out the rules now, glad to know I wasn't having computer errors in posting this.
    Today, 04:44 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the first computer you / your family owned?

This is gonna age some people on this board, I think, following the ATARI thread...

My first computer was a Commodore VIC-20. I remember that William Shatner was their spokesman for it, it was $595 US when it first hit the shelves. 3.5K of useable program RAM, and no sprites. The C=64 was much more useable, but it was great to cut my teeth on.

The first one I ever USED was a neighbor's Apple ][. It had a green-screen, and I was hooked when I saw a game on it, but can't remember what it was. Chopper Command? You had a little helicopter, it was a side-scroller, you had to touch down and pick up people and take them back to your base and drop them off without killing them. Chopper something... [img]/emoticons/frusty.gif[/img]

So, what was the first computer YOU owned? Or the first you remember using?

William Shattner is *the man* LOL!

We had a TRS-80.

You've gotta do what you've gotta do.
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

We had some Texas Instrument POS when I was lil.

When I left for college they bought a Packard Bell and I got a Mac PowerPC 8600 - hahaha!! 1.2 gb hd was somethin to brag about then! LOL

Boobie Island or Bust!
      I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

- press play on tape

:: Durable and doable in a swimsuit, yet not designed for surfing, cliff diving, extreme groping and other high-impact activities. ::

Comment

My first was an Apple II. Had both the 3 1/2 floppy and the big 5 1/4. Played Reader Rabbit a lot as a kid.

Then we got a Pentium I 133mhz PC with a 4gb hdd. Then I played a ton of Chip's Challenge.

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.'
          - Albert Einstein
          ProudPenguin
          P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

I was pretty late getting into it compared to a lot of you. My first was a screaming 486 with a whole 2 megs of RAM and a fat 207 meg hard drive. Running windows 3.

I love children but I don't think I could eat a whole one.

Comment

We had an Apple ][ Plus.
              I remember that chopper game but not the name.
              Did Dogfight come with yours? Always loved watching my guy hurtle to the ground without the parachute. Damn.

Lots and lots of Zork and Wizardry. Leather Goddesses of Phobos was pretty funny too. 'Specially in 'lewd mode'. LMAO! I still have a scrolled printout of the whole game played start to finish. Looks like a roll of TP printed on by a dot matrix printer with no descenders on the letters.

Anyone remember a dial up internet type service put out by Readers Digest (I think). It was called 'The Source' and you could connect to all kinds of University sites. It was later than the MIT online D&D games though. Lasted about 2 years. Didn't catch on. That was truly a sign of things to come though.

Neighbor kid had a TRS80 but was always over playing Zork or Atari at my house.

Ryan, you aren't old enought to know an Apple][! Mum and Dad save it for the kids to play with?

PrintDriver is a large format digital print dude. His advice/opinions may not apply to the 4color/offset/web world of printing

Post Edited (PrintDriver) : 9/16/2004 11:37:06 PM GMT

Comment

It was an old computer of a friend of ours and they gave it to us. My cousin actuall has it and one other one in his basement now. lol

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.'
                - Albert Einstein
                ProudPenguin
                P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

3.5' drive? I think that was a ][GS model, newer one. Buddy of mine still has one of those, the 'Woz' box, as it had Wozniak's signature on the case.

And that Chopper game?! CHOPLIFTER, by Broderbund. Had to Google for that one. Can't believe I forgot that! BTW, here's one for the OS X users out there: Chopper!

OMG, I forgot what a blast I had playing Zork games! Actually, all the Infocom ones, like Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy, and Bureacracy (sp), both by Douglas Adams (rip).

And yes, Uncle, tape was king then! LOAD'xyzabc',1,1 [img]/emoticons/yeah.gif[/img] Still got it... think I'll have to find that C=64 emulator. Haven't sent a PEEK and POKE in quite some time... errrrr... never mind, kids. I'm not going to explain. [img]/emoticons/blink.gif[/img]

Texas Instruments piece-of-crap was the TI 99/4A, I believe was the model. Actually, compared to other home computers of the time, it was a decent box. It was built pretty well, had a good BASIC language interpreter (better than Commodore's), and good graphics chip. Commodore had the better sound chip (in the C=64, not the VIC-20). I wanted one!

Did anyone have a Timex/Sinclair? I thought that thing just looked cool, small, flat membrane keyboard like the Atari 400. Piece of junk, though, or so I was told by owners.

For those looking for info on classic computers, check this site out: Google's Retrocomputing Page or my favorite: Old Computers

Comment

Does speak & spell count?

digitalcamwhore
                    ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA... no. [img]/emoticons/scool.gif[/img]

Comment

damn u ppl type a lto :P i didnt read all that but i had some texas instruments thing when i was lil that hooked up to my tv ;p

Comment

yeah thats what Im talkin about Debz! We had that too! LOL! I honestly don't remember what that thing actually did but my dad still has it!! haha! Its basically a....keyboard..LOL

Boobie Island or Bust!
                          I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

The first I used was an Apple. That was in first grade, 1984. The mouse was, at the time, called a 'turtle.'

Our family's first was an 8088 IBM monochrome with two floppy drives. That was '87, I think. Played a lot of ASCII based games like Hack. Finally got a CGA-emulating Leading Edge monochome a year or so later.

Those were the days. Printshop, drawing pixel by pixel in some graphics program with THREE WHOLE COLORS.

Comment

LOL! I used to do for/next loops with POKEs and PEEKs just to see what they did... and crash!!! lol... tape drives - yup I had a 5 pin dot matrix too that printed on till tape.. 3' wide... i handed in essays rolled up in bottles. Had to write a word processor first though... snatched from the back of a compute magazine...

CHOPLIFTER!!! I remember that too!

spoon.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X