X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Blues...

Well, it's not laptop, but I have to ask about it on behalf of my instructor.

Bill (my iaido instructor) just bought a laptop off of ebay, it's using Windows XP, and has a duel CDRW-DVD ROM. Well, he' can't get it to work, nor is he able to track down the specific drivers for that make. I think it's an offshoot of Lucent Technologies.

What he wants to know, is if he loads a different type of DVD-ROM software onto his laptop, will he still need the drivers to work the DVD, or will the software just recognize that it's there and use it?

See, the CDRW part of it works fine, but when he puts a DVD in, it just makes a "trying to read it" sound.

So what do you gusy think? I was wondering if a generic driver might help...but if Windows already knows the CDRW is there, why wouldn't the DVD work?

"It's not cheating if you win."

- A VERY wise person.

might need DVD player softtware, something like WIN-DVD

~Everyday, All the Time, Without Fail!
    Tapp-d
    "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

2nd what Drorain said. Unfortunately, the dvd/cd drives on laptops tend to cause a lot of problems although the ones made inthe past year or so aren't as bad as ones made prior to that since the technology keeps getting more precise. My first attempt would be a DVD player software product to see if that remedies the situation. In my old laptop the dvd drive went bad and actually fried my whole computer. Of course, it was a compaq and they can kiss my fat tail ... horrible company IMO, but it just goes to show how one not neccessarily essential component can effect overall operations on a machine.

Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens....Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Solution: buy and apple ibook or Powerbook. No worries!

The clothes do make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society at large.

Comment

+1 i'm w/jason..

but...maybe if he reformatted it??

"BAN!"

Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists.... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence.

Comment

Oh piss off you mac a$$ kissers.

Perhaps you need to read D-frag's thread about his mac laptop and how bad it took a shit on him?

The next person that waves either a pro mac or pro pc flag gets edited.

Thanks to those that helped.

"It's not cheating if you win."

- A VERY wise person.

Comment

LOL @ Magnus! Here here!!

Doesn't matter what you buy..sometimes they crap out, sometimes they don't. It was bought on eBay..there is not telling what it went through before your instructor bought it. Doesn't have anything to do with which platform it was. I would follow Drorains suggestion of getting some DVD software.

Boobie Island or Bust!
              I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

Reinstall XP always when buying a used machine, you never know what kinda crap is on there. Secondly, what make and model is his DVDR? I would highly suggest getting a DVD player software, have him try www.download.com there should be some free ones on there. Thirdly, depending on what make and model it is, they will have different drivers for each model, sometimes they have unified ones, hes gonna have to play around with different drivers until it works, for example, my 5.1 creative soundcard, will only work perfectly with a patch from 2002, if I use the newer patch my sound goes to crap, its all trial and error. hope that helps.

A Tribute To Homer S.
                "Getting out of jury duty is easy. The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races."

"Don't worry. Being eaten by a crocodile is just like going to sleep... in a blender."

"Marge, what's wrong? Are you hungry? Sleepy? Gassy? Gassy? Is it gas? It's gas, isn't it?"

"Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

"Ooh, the internet is on computers now."

"Son, when you attend sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, it's how drunk you get."

"To start, press any key. Where's the 'any' key?"

"Lisa, if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way."
                digitalcamwhore
                ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

Many times, if it's a major brand like a Dell or Compaq/HP, you can visit the website and look in the technical support section. There will usually be a list of all the major drivers for each model of PC, and all will be the most up-to-date that have been tested by the company. I've noticed that they usually have updated WinDVD or PowerDVD software there as well (if the unit actually came from the OEM with a DVD-ROM drive installed). You can download it legally, and it usually won't ask for any codes, but will only work on the particular brand which it was meant for.

As for drivers, they shouldn't be needed in XP. Microsoft's drivers cover 99.5% of all -ROM drives, at least for reading.

I'm a computer systems consultant and technician, but my business is very localized.
                  However, feel free to check out my site, which always has new and interesting
                  articles on using computers:
                  CATALYST Techworks Consulting

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                  Working...
                  X