Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• lifestylere
    Lifestyle is the Name - Montague Script is the Font...
    lifestylere
    Lifestyle is the Name - Montague Script is the Font - The L is the problem

Ok so Montague Script is the font except the F thats Hiatus both by the same designer Stephen Rapp

Today, 11:02 PM
  • it52
    Reply to Logo Design for upscale eyeglass store
    it52
    Thanks for clarifying.

I guess for me I've done logotypes before so a part of me wanted to do something different for myself but I realize I was too focused on one idea and not letting it...
    Today, 10:51 PM
  • <b>
    <b>
    What sorts of things can be associated with eye care? Actual things, like eye charts and tears? More abstract things, like clarity and focus? Or maybe even concepts like beauty and style? There are lots...
    Today, 09:42 PM
  • it52
    it52
    I have noticed other logos used an eye but I thought the way I used the P and S made it stand out among it's competition. I chose avant garde because I thought it wouldn't look dated. I'm curious why...
    Today, 09:13 PM
  • <b>
    <b>
    Using Avant Garde type might have been a route to looking upscale back in the 1970s, but today it mostly looks dated.

Making an eye out of the P & S is a nice idea, but until I read your...
    Today, 09:04 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contemplating getting a job

my husband approached me yesterday about maybe having our daughter go to a montessori school. she's almost 2 years old and would qualify to go to this school. my husband's main concern, and mine too, is that the current setup isn't giving her the much needed interaction with other kids her age. for those that don't know, i work from home and take care of her at the same time. when times get busy, we don't go out much or do things during the day like i'd hope. and she ends up watching tv a lot. i'm slowly convincing myself as i write this that placing her in this school would be great for her and beneficial for her socially. my options then would be to find either part-time or fulltime employment to cover the costs for school.

what do you guys think and have any of you guys been in similar situations? thanks.

Instead of focusing on what you won’t be about, decide what you will be about and make that good thing the central aim of your life. -- Pieter Van Waarde
    Short Attention Gamer | UFClounge

if you are worried about interaction I was homeschooled until highschool and now look at me I am an idiot

nah serously check into some YMCA day camps I know in this area there are tons of YMCA day camps etc (i do there brochures thats how I know)

get her away from the tv it rots your brain.... i used to have this thing called a GeoSafari its like a learning game interacting thing I used to spend hours and hours playing it....

also I know in my parents area there is a homeschoolers assoc. (she is a bit young to be a homeschooler) plenty of homeschooling families have little ones and they trade off baby sitting etc..... we even had field trips etc planned

plan 2 -------

get a laptop and go to the park

www.hirethisdesigner.com - portfolio
    www.conceptprint.com - the company I work for

Comment

I don't have any kids of my own, but I can still give you my personal experience... it just goes back a lot of years!

My mom stayed at home to raise the kids (4 of us!) while my dad worked full time. She has her own 'crafts' business, so she would have to do a lot of painting/cutting/sewing to get ready for the craft fairs that she participates in.

I remember that she signed us all up for local craft classes, summer reading clubs through the public library, music lessons, and a lot of other free kid-oriented 'classes' in our area sponsored by schools/church and others. She would drop us off for the classes and then she would have a few hours to work on things for her business while we interacted with kids our own age. She would pick us up and bring us home for lunch, and then we would do a craft or play a game together, go to the park/playground or take a ride in the car and cut flowers to put into her flower press. (I remember a few books that she had that were geared toward crafts for kids, as well as 'science' experiments.) We played 'Will it Float' on the floor with a plastic dishpan a long time before Letterman got the idea... and I remember another time that we made a giant ice cube in a bundt cake pan, then used salt and food coloring to dissolve it and make neat patterns inside the ice. Mom also had us help her out in the garden or cleaning the house, so we had a lot of family time and a lot of learning, too. Looking back, I'm glad she was there for us, and I think I enjoyed it a lot more than I would have enjoyed preschool.

You've gotta do what you've gotta do.
      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I tried that route (fulltime work and preschool) and it worked for about a year. In a year or two your child will be able to go to public school. If you do choose the school now, I would suggest part time. I have more than one child and we make to much to qualify for any assistance, so it doesn't pay for me to work fulltime for someone els when I am paying so much for childcare. Here are some challenges I have experience:
        The child is exposed to more children and catches every cold under the sun. The kid was fine when you dropped them off, not thirty minutes later your at work and you get the phone call. Your kids is thowing up all over the place, please come get them. Stress...stress...stress, there are 120 or more colds or viruses your child is exposed to each year.
        Doctors appointments, younger kids need more doctors visits. Will you feel comfortable taking all this time off of work and what will your boss think. Many women do it just fine and some don't have a choice, it's a matching boss/employee issue. I am happy I do have a choice.
        There are too many for me to list about my experience.
        I find it difficult at this point to obligate to a full time job because of my full time job at home.
        I find that it is better for ME, to have someone come and sit with kids a few times a week. Lay out activities, meals and rules. Structure. I am not to be bothered unless there is blood.
        Cost less, buys me some time and I can still earn enough.
        Being a GD for me means flexability.
        Then again I have a friend who loves her kids but it works better for her if she has a full time job from 8 am till 6 pm, that way she feel like the time she is giving her kids is high quality. But even she has problems with whats the boss gonna think if I have to leave and there isn't anyone to take her place really if she has to leave. It's quite the responsiblity and I think alot of women ask this question all the time.
        Besides that year of trying to work outside the home, my kids have been here with me. They are now school age and act like graphic designers. The 1st grader makes fancy curvy letter when writting and is always illustrating stories. Loves to draw and paint, straight A student
        The third grader is gifted and talented and wants to sell her art. straight A student
        I always gave them something to do that stimulated there mind while I worked. The TV was off after 10 am. The music was on and we all worked together. They have been exposed to this work all their life and I can see it in the way they work at school and in their play at home. Always designing something and always serious when it come to the work part.
        To me, this seems to have worked well.
        They also have their own computers, windows 3.5 dell and a old apple, where they use programs. I started them off in paint programs and now they are quite good. They haven't torn one up yet and have been on them since they were 2. But not mine. and they assist their teachers and other kids when they need help on the computers.

Coconut

Comment

I think a good program would be best. You don't know how I wish I could put my daughter in a school program so she could learn.

I sat with her over the weekend and showed her how to draw a straight line vertically and horizontally then I showed her that if you cross them you get a 'T' she was sooooo happy. Man children a just such a blessing some times. But the sense of self satisfaction is so good that now I have to find a way to make this happen, I must!

Graphic Design Heroes! Call me Captain Type Caster. I’ve fought off “The Evil Cosmic Sans” for year but it seems “Dr. Extreme Untalent” keeps bringing him back. I must find a way to defeat this evil creature.

Capt. Creative bring me those comps…

Comment

Good for you benjo! I bet you're a great dad.

Comment

i love my time with my daughter and am not quite sure about the school thing. it seems like a good idea and then other times not so much. she has been very healthy (only 1 cold and she's almost 2) and enjoys her time away from the tv. i make it sound like she does that all day but she doesn't. i do have the tv on but she only sits and watches for a few minutes. mostly she's running around the house trying to find something to get into or playing with her toys. for the last 2 weeks we've been going to storytime at barnes and noble on mondays and thursdays. they read a couple of short books and then have craft time afterwards. sometimes, on special occasions like author's bdays they have free cake and ice cream. there are quite of bit of moms and kids there so she can interact but she's a bit timid compared to the others. they usually hang around by the little thomas train set.

the weather is also starting to get a bit cooler so the park and outdoor activities won't be an option for too much longer. work has slowed down this week so i can spend more time with her, thankfully.

one of the reasons i don't want to take her to school is because i remember how much i loved having my mom home and taking care of us. and i also don't want to work so we can pay for school. we have thought about bringing someone into the house for a few hours to watch her while i work. but my times are now limited to afternoons because school is back in session. i still might pursue that though because it is still business hours so i can deal with my clients. i'll talk to my husband about that tonight. there are some good kids across the street that would be perfect for it.

thanks for the input guys. i very much appreciate it.

Instead of focusing on what you won’t be about, decide what you will be about and make that good thing the central aim of your life. -- Pieter Van Waarde

Comment

Thanks morea.

There are cons and pros to both. As long as your not working and all the money is going for someone else to raise her then it should be fine. We have an excellent babysitter for our little one so I'm thankful that we found a good person for that.

I really want to put my daughter in pre-school one cause she is going to be 4 in a few months and two cause the greatest satisfaction as a human is sucess it breads confidence and develops character. I want my daughter to experience that. I'm a man so my perspective is diffrent then momys perspective but together we can kind of balance this out.

Graphic Design Heroes! Call me Captain Type Caster. I’ve fought off “The Evil Cosmic Sans” for year but it seems “Dr. Extreme Untalent” keeps bringing him back. I must find a way to defeat this evil creature.

Capt. Creative bring me those comps…

Comment

The most important thing to remember, whatever you decide, is that you are trying to give your child the very best that you can provide. 'Nothing done out of love can come to evil'.

Comment

what's a kid?

'I will become the most powerful Jedi ever!'
                    'I'm the damn designer, bitches!'

Check out my indie comic book!
                    www.assassinsguild.net/
                    "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

all that coming from and egg drinking a beer

thats a pretty deep egg

www.hirethisdesigner.com - portfolio
                      www.conceptprint.com - the company I work for

Comment

Thanks! I find that I am very insightful when drinking beer. Maybe that's Dr. Phil's secret, too! [img]/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

i don't drink beer much anymore ... it's been 3 weeks since my last beer.

we'll see what my husband and i decide. one of the reasons i'm considering it is because the graphic designer at my husband's work just put in her notice to go work for his previous employer. crazy woman! anyway, i know they pay well and have great benefits, but we don't even know if they'll consider me since my husband already works there. my husband likes the idea the more we talk about it, but also likes that his daughter is with mom all day. we'll know soon enough what's in store for us ...

Comment

what's beer?

'I will become the most powerful Jedi ever!'
                            'I'm the damn designer, bitches!'

Check out my indie comic book!
                            www.assassinsguild.net/
                            "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

Thats a good attitude and it looks like you have a few extra idea to work with. I omitted to mention that one of my children has special needs, so it saved me alot of trouble to just keep the kids with me rather than get repeated phone calls of problems. I was able to balance my clients as well and did alot of work that required peace in quite for the evenings when most slept.

Coconut

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X