Reply to New design lover here
    Buda
    Welcome Sasa.
    Today, 10:13 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    Buda
    I agree, the borders are too heavy.

Don't stretch the text. Use it at 100% scale only.

Personally, I don't think you need vertical lines at all. Just horizontal rules would...
    Today, 10:12 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Business Card Critique
    Buda
    The back and the front look like branding for two completely different businesses.

What pt size is your contact details? It looks a bit too small from here. I wouldn't go under 8pt. You might...
    Today, 10:09 PM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF ralf

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 09:48 PM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Business Card Critique
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF wut

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 09:48 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Geek Squad (ADVERTISER BANNED)

I was recently having an issue with a home page hijacker on my home computer. I called theGeek Squad (1-800-ADVERTISING DICKHEAD in case you were wondering) and the dude had it fixed within two hours.
    He rambled on about Spyware being on my machine, and on the printout he gave me, he talked about a few programs like Spybot, Adaware, HiJackThis!, and Spysweeper.
    I thought it was a really sweet service, and I'm kind of wondering about the programs he mentioned.

Has anyone had experience with the aforermentioned programs?

I thought this sounded a bit fishy when I read it. This guy actually answered D-Frags thread and he lists himself as a member of the geek squad in that reply and in his profile. This kind of thing REALLY makes me mad. People actually take time to answer and help you with this fake question. You are BANNED!!! Dickhead

Your friendly moderator Kool

Post Edited By Moderator (Kool) : 9/30/2004 4:59:08 PM GMT

i've heard of them, and even used a couple. what do you want to know? Seems like they're all legit.

Comment

Check out this thread this thread that DFrag posted a little while back.

I've been using this method and have had no trouble with spyware.

You've gotta do what you've gotta do.
      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

i use spybot and since then have had no problems...lol@ geek squad....

"BAN!"

Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists.... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence.

Comment

TWO HOURS?! Hope that included drive-time. How much did it cost you? On-site?

Spybot: Search & Destroy -- Beautiful, but a bit slow for what it checks. Protects and scans/fixes. Get it!
          AdAware SE -- Doesn't protect, just scans and fixes existing problems. Get it!
          avast! -- Great free anti-virus program.
          AVG -- Another great free anti-virus program.
          SpywareGuard -- Protects machines from getting common adware/spyware installed.
          SpywareBlaster -- Protects IE and Mozilla from going to sites known for 'drive-by installs' of spyware.

I should mention in bold the following, but I'll save your eyes...

There are literally HUNDREDS of programs release which purport to remove spyware and adware from your systems. VERY FEW are work well, and some are actually INSTALLING spyware instead of removing it! Visit a few security forums and get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

Of all the pay-for commercial packages available, SpySweeper is the only one I've found effective. Oh, actually, I do also recommend AdAware SE Plus Edition, which is an extended version of the free one Lavasoft provides. Both programs scan and fix problems related to adware/spyware, and also help protect against new installations by running scanning services in the background. The free version of AdAware lacks the background scanning.

It's too bad that using a PC has come to this, making everyone into security technicians. I feel bad for people who are just starting to use computers (especially seniors), it really puts a grimy layer on their newfound hobby.

I'm a computer systems consultant and technician, but my business is very localized.
          However, feel free to check out my site, which always has new and interesting
          articles on using computers:
          CATALYST Techworks Consulting

Post Edited (torque2k) : 9/30/2004 3:42:15 PM GMT

Comment

Mushroom Stamp!!!

I love children but I don't think I could eat a whole one.

Comment

good catch kool!

'I will become the most powerful Jedi ever!'
              'I'm the damn designer, bitches!'

Check out my indie comic book!
              www.assassinsguild.net/
              "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

Good catch kool I had read this and it seem legit. You have experienced mod insights.

Graphic Design Heroes! Call me Captain Type Caster. I’ve fought off “The Evil Cosmic Sans” for year but it seems “Dr. Extreme Untalent” keeps bringing him back. I must find a way to defeat this evil creature.

Capt. Creative bring me those comps…

Comment

awww man .........i'm dumb..i thought it sounded wierd at first two and i was dumb enough to repsond.....hmph....awww and i didn't get to ban either......GOOD JOB KOOL

"BAN!"

Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists.... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence.

Comment

oopsie... I figured it was legit because I'd seen this guy around the forum before.

Thanks for protecting us Kool! [img]/emoticons/ibf-iamstupid.gif[/img]

You've gotta do what you've gotta do.
                    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

LOL i figured he was a advertiser!!

* Vote Debz 2004 *

I will end terrorism, Stupidity, Laziness and eliminate all the slackers who drag us down. Do not screw wit me.. buahaha! Debz - 2004

Comment

Aw, PANCAKEHEAD!!! What a friggin' moron. I fell for that one...

I'm a computer systems consultant and technician, but my business is very localized.

Comment

[img]/emoticons/rofl.gif[/img]

Kool said...
                          Mushroom Stamp!!!
                          Boobie Island or Bust!
                          I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

Geek Squad exists up here too. They are for real.
                            I gotta give a tech credit who can go into someone's home, sit down at a computer they didn't configure, figure out how it was set up and what's wrong with it and fix it.

I won't give the guy credit for coming on as a 'found this cool service' ad

Nice catch Kool.

PrintDriver is a large format digital print dude. His advice/opinions may not apply to the 4color/offset/web world of printing

Comment

True, Geek Squad is real, they run out of Best Buy now. It's just a franchise outfit, like Nerds OnSite, and about 20 others which are saturating each other's target markets. Me, I like to stay out of the homes and get into businesses. There's just not enough money in fixing consumer problems; I do it occasionally (NEVER turn down word-of-mouth business!), but I always tell people I'm interested in referrals to businesses, and point them to my referral page on my site. It's hard to charge Joe User $90/hour to remove spyware and instruct them in basic Windows security issues... and walk away not feeling like a (sorry about this) used car salesman.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X