Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Are you interested in selling your company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi 858 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 04:28 AM
  • thebombman53
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    thebombman53
    I know of those sites - I actually have profiles on them. The point of building it myself is to give me practice with web design. Again, why I'm here asking for criticism. If you have any feedback, it...
    Today, 01:02 AM
  • Buster_
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    Buster_
    I can appreciate that you're trying to build your site from scratch, but why not use a portfolio hosting site that offers free templates until you're more comfortable with web design? There are plenty...
    Today, 12:05 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to Getting started...
    salsa
    If you're not sure you're making enough, figure out you income per hour and take into account all your expenses and overhead and blah blah blah. It takes some time to put together the spreadheets, or...
    Today, 12:02 AM
  • salsa
    Comment on Crit on my first business card? No client, experimental.
    salsa
    em: —
    en: –
    hypehn: -
    Yesterday, 11:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New $50 US bill available for download...

www.moneyfactory.com -- sounds like a scam site, right? Nope, it's the official website for the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing (part of the US Treasury Dept.)!

I looked all over the site, searching for a downloadable version of the new $50 bill which was supposed to be available to artists for use in school projects, but couldn't find a link anywhere. It's possible that it's not available yet. Per an AP wire article:

said...
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S. government will offer over the Internet low-quality images of its new $50 bill for artists, students and others who discover that their computers, scanners or printers won't allow them to view or copy pictures of the new currency.
    Keep your eyes open, and post the link here if you find it! Looks like they're going to release a medium-res version for print/ad work soon as well.

I'm a computer systems consultant and technician, but my business is very localized.
    However, feel free to check out my site, which always has new and interesting
    articles on using computers:
    CATALYST Techworks Consulting

Yeah, I'll use it for school projects...sure...

j/k don't even spend your time trying to counterfeit these things, it's darn obvious when it's done on an inkjet.
    I will grow old but I will never grow up.

Comment

www.moneyfactory.com/newmoney/

Click on the bills to the right.

Support Music and Arts Education | www.dafenix.org | 'You have no chance to win.' | GDF Mac Death Squad, Son

Comment

I'm gonna design me some bedsheets made up of new $50's

You've gotta do what you've gotta do.
        "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

morea said...
          I'm gonna design me some bedsheets made up of new $50's
          Don't put them in the dryer or they'll get all crispy on you.
          I will grow old but I will never grow up.

Comment

Ya all have a problem if using Photoshop CS. It won't save them. Or if it does, it won't reopen them. Can't remember which. The program is reading content! Scary huh?

PrintDriver is a large format digital print dude. His advice/opinions may not apply to the 4color/offset/web world of printing

Comment

That *is* scary!

You've gotta do what you've gotta do.
              "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Yeah, it's some sort of DRM for money. Looks for a visual 'code' to repeat (which is why you can't scan one of the new $20 or $50 bills in any orientation), then posts a warning. I thought this was in PS 7 as well. It's also in the new Painter, Paint Shop Pro, and Fireworks MX 2004. Pretty soon, the only editor you'll be able to use will be The GIMP (Linux/Unix/BSD/OS X)! [img]/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Really, though, this is no different than scanning an image encoded with DigiMark. Same basic concept, at least, and PS has been using that for years (4.0?).

From what the AP article said, the code will go forward into the new replacement bills for everything else (I think the $100 is next). I'm waiting for someone to hack it. I'm sure it'll happen, just a matter of 'when'.

BTW, Delete, nice catch, glad you found the link! I swear I looked for 20 minutes before just going ahead and posting the article. Their site was running like SH&* today, took 2 minutes to load a single simple page!

I'm a computer systems consultant and technician, but my business is very localized.

Post Edited (torque2k) : 10/2/2004 2:28:49 AM GMT

Comment

Seems silly to me.
                  If I wanted to scan money, I'd just use an old version of Photoshop. Seems you could save the image as an eps and it would still open in CS. Or maybe it was a tif. It was a novelty when it happened.
                  I'm sure this is doing nothing to stop the real criminals who are doing the actual counterfeiting. It just messes up designers' days.

PrintDriver is a large format digital print dude. His advice/opinions may not apply to the 4color/offset/web world of printing

Comment

Well, true, you could use the older versions of any photo editing application. But as with DigiMark, who uses PS 2.5 or 3.0 anymore? Although you can disable DigiMark, most people don't, or aren't aware you can do so. Eventually, people upgrade. The hopes are that the piddly little home printers like you and me [img]/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] will eventually give up trying to print this stuff. The newer software will become the norm, and people will finally give up (easily). It's like locks, they're there to keep honest people honest. [img]/emoticons/dry.gif[/img]

Eventually, OS X won't run Classic Mode, and Longhorn will probably break apps left and right. You'll HAVE to upgrade sooner or later... [img]/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                    Working...
                    X