• seamas
    Reply to Are you able to read the text?
    seamas
    ^ This...
    Today, 04:55 AM
  • seamas
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    seamas
    I think the weathering shouldn't be part of the logo at all.

If you want to use it as a treatment fine, but in the design phase of the logo, it just isn't a good idea.

Too many...
    Today, 04:52 AM
  • arielr190
    Opinions on My Logo?
    arielr190
    Hello all! I am new to this forums and I appreciate your time to help me.

So I am starting business; this is the logo I created for it. While I cannot say exactly what the business does;...
    Today, 03:09 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to How to do this?
    PrintDriver
    I'd think you'd want to be careful that it doesn't look obviously fake, like the first photo.
    The second one is strangely shadowless and floaty.
    The third one is ok, the objects are actually...
    Today, 12:55 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Candy Shop Logo
    Buda
    It's a good start. I like the middle one how it has highlights in the text, but I think the drop shapes are way too big. Have you considered working with candy stripes?
    Today, 12:23 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting artwork online

I'm currently in the process of setting up a website that'll sort of serve as an online portfolio that my friends and family can check out to see what I'm up to. While it's unlikely that my school stuff would get pirated for anything (I have some project designs that this post may apply to), I'm somewhat concered about the designs I've done on the side that were specifically designed to be used for print work. My friends who use these designs know that they're to email me for the original files. I don't charge for the designs as they are for my volunteer work, so it's not like I'm going to lose money if someone steals them. Basically, I just don't want anyone saving them and passing them off as their own. Also, as I am still in school, having designs put into production is gold. I want to be able to arrange to get a copy of the final product for my portfolio.

The way I'm setting this up is that I'm going to have all the images on one page, and when you click on the image it links to a larger version. Should I put an unobtrusive watermark over the image, like Corbis does? I'm going to make it very clear on the main page that the files are free and to email me if a person wants the files.

Am I being too paranoid? How have you guys handled this in the past?

Thanks,

Michelle
    I will grow old but I will never grow up.

Michelle, I'd definitely put a watermark on the pics! Why give someone the satisfaction of getting good artwork for free, especially students who're looking to quickly 'flesh out' their portfolio?! No one will be affected by it, especially if all they have to do is email you for the art.

Better yet, don't give them the files, ever! If they want it, ask that they pay a minimal fee to have it printed, and find a good large-format print shop who'll do it for you individually. You'd probably be best off PM'ing PrintDriver, as I know he's into large-format work and could guide you on which printers to look for for fine art one-offs.

Finally, as for setting up the site, if you're able to handle some slight programming, try Gallery (gallery.sourceforge.net) for a great album site script. If you're not into 'tweaking code', pick up a copy of Photoshop Albums, which has a great HTML album generator, and can even help you manage the site.

I'm a computer systems consultant and technician, but my business is localized to West Michigan.
    However, feel free to check out my site, which always has new and interesting
    articles on using computers:
    CATALYST Techworks Consulting

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
    Working...
    X