Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• lifestylere
    Lifestyle is the Name - Montague Script is the Font...
    lifestylere
    Lifestyle is the Name - Montague Script is the Font - The L is the problem

Ok so Montague Script is the font except the F thats Hiatus both by the same designer Stephen Rapp

Today, 11:02 PM
  • it52
    Reply to Logo Design for upscale eyeglass store
    it52
    Thanks for clarifying.

I guess for me I've done logotypes before so a part of me wanted to do something different for myself but I realize I was too focused on one idea and not letting it...
    Today, 10:51 PM
  • <b>
    <b>
    What sorts of things can be associated with eye care? Actual things, like eye charts and tears? More abstract things, like clarity and focus? Or maybe even concepts like beauty and style? There are lots...
    Today, 09:42 PM
  • it52
    it52
    I have noticed other logos used an eye but I thought the way I used the P and S made it stand out among it's competition. I chose avant garde because I thought it wouldn't look dated. I'm curious why...
    Today, 09:13 PM
  • <b>
    <b>
    Using Avant Garde type might have been a route to looking upscale back in the 1970s, but today it mostly looks dated.

Making an eye out of the P & S is a nice idea, but until I read your...
    Today, 09:04 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilema

Geeze im just a thread starter today huh?

Well i have an issue..

Currently I am in school at Community College for Graphic Design. I love the course's and classes.

I planned on taking 3 classes/semester, since I do work Full Time during the day. Well due to financial situations my mom cant pay for 3 classes this semester. Only one. I know i know .. spoiled lil brat gets school paid for yadda yadda.. i know i know.

Well I know you guys say that you dont HAVE to goto school. I am debating on getting a student loan, or i dont know? Id hate to owe money.. Ugh..

The thing about quitting school that i am scared about is .. I really do learn. Reading is blah.. I think i have ADD i cant concentrate reading.. I need hands on stuff..

What should i do??? [img]/emoticons/weep.gif[/img] I LOVE school. I love graphic design..

*</font> Vote</font> Debz</font> &</font> DD</font> 2004</font> *</font>

I will end terrorism</font>, Stupidity</font>, Laziness</font> and eliminate all the slackers who drag us down</font>. Do not screw wit me.. buahaha! Debz & DD - 2004</font>

Get a loan, I owe 24K in loans but I'm a proud Designer. lol!

Graphic Design Heroes! Call me Captain Type Caster. I’ve fought off “The Evil Cosmic Sans” for year but it seems “Dr. Extreme Untalent” keeps bringing him back. I must find a way to defeat this evil creature.

Capt. Creative bring me those comps…

Comment

LOL good god! i am so scared to get a loan.. hehehhe. i hate debt!!

Another issue.. Dont you HAVE to take 3 classes a semester for a loan? That means i cant cut back. When i had to take stupid classes like english I was gonna take JUST english because I suck at it.. and know i would struggle.

I will end terrorism</font>, Stupidity</font>, Laziness</font> and eliminate all the slackers who drag us down</font>. Do not screw wit me.. buahaha! Debz & DD - 2004</font>

Comment

I didn't go to school. I did take classes here and there (probably around 10 courses in all), but most were unrelated to GD (i.e. Greek Lit, etc.) The art classes I took were in drawing.

Then I learned typesetting on the job at a small publishing house. I used Ventura and Quark, which taught me how to use fonts, ligatures, kerning, line spacing and so forth. I also helped withg outputting files to the printer. And I worked for free.

Where I learned almost everything about GD was working for another small publisher, doing online ads, print ads, catalogs, conference materiels and so forth. I totally sucked at first, but after six months or so, I started to get the hang of it. I got the job because I knew Quark and kinda knew some Photoshop. Now I know Quark, PS, Illustrator, and some HTML.

A lot of people would have a hard time finding that kind of job opportunity. But I think it was a pretty good route, and it let me learn design while at the same time learning the ins and outs of supplying the printer with correct files.

From what you say 'ADD i cant concentrate reading.. I need hands on stuff..' you might try doing something like that. Find a local print shop or design firm and see if you can just do grunt work. You'll learn a lot just by watching other people, and you might be able to convince them to show you a thing or two. If that doesn't work, then maybe school is the answer.

Comment

yeah, if you're enjoying school and its really benefitting you, then get a loan, for sure, if thats what you need to do in order to keep going there..
          cause your gonna have to learn that stuff anyway, weather you goto school or not, and that 'funness' that your having at school won't be there when your learning by yourself, alone, with no one to talk to or guide you (except for the GDF, of course)....

<SUP>www.jdcgraphics.net<SUP>- currentlyunder construction

www.standercreative.com

Comment

40th: I actually work in a print shop.. with no one with any professional training. LOL so i am becoming the professional.. Teaching them a thing or two.

Maybe ill get a loan.. and ask to work here part time just to do the annual catalog and ad's like i have been doing.. Just not the sales crap.

Silence: yeah i love school. its so awesome when im the one helping the other students along with the teacher. and there like o wow how do u know this?! lol.

I dunno I keep feeling like something is telling me to do something.. (i.e. Breaking up with my bf and moving back home, Mom not being able to help me with school)

I feel like theres something saying.. 'DO THISSSS' But i dont know what this is.. and i need to figure it out.. fast..

Does that make any sense?

Comment

debz, how far along are you in school?

<SUP>www.jdcgraphics.net<SUP>- currentlyunder construction

www.standercreative.com

Comment

Get a loan, the know how in the programs, the feedback, and the artistic development you get with your degree will be much more helpful, and some places, wont even look at you if you dont have a degree. You can make it without it, but your chances just open up if you have the degree

~Everyday, All the Time, Without Fail!
                Tapp-d
                "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

I would say get a loan. Like 40th said, you can definately learn on your own, but school is very useful, especially if you enjoy it. Plus, you never know, you may need that degree as a fall-back for getting a job if competion gets tougher for whatever reason. The loan is an investment. It can only make you more attractive to an employer.

Support Music and Arts Education | www.dafenix.org | 'You have no chance to win.' | GDF Mac Death Squad, Son

Comment

rob a bank!

'I will become the most powerful Jedi ever!'
                    'I'm the damn designer, bitches!'

Check out my indie comic book!
                    www.assassinsguild.net/
                    "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

At the end of this semester (december) ill have 6 Classes out of the 24 i need for my associates.. Ive been going since Fall 2003. I think I mite do the loan thing.. Even try to cut back to part time for work.. I need to talk to my dad tho. I dont want to sacrifice school..

This is a big decision especially going from being 100% independant to living at home, and locking myself into it for a few years..

Comment

Honestly I didn't read through your entire thread Debz but you are already working in both the sales and production areas of this field...even tho you LOVE school...do you really NEED it?? You are getting the hands on experience and already have your foot in the door...this is a good thing!

Boobie Island or Bust!
                        I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

Loans are a pain, though. A lot of my friends who went through college on loans are still paying them off (at age 30), and some of them have told me that they wished they had just gone right into work rather than school. School is good, but a lot of the time it can become a stop-gap between jobs. For example, a friend of mine went to four-year college at a very expensive school. When he graduated, he couldn't find a job to his liking. So, instead of starting off at a small job and working his way up, he went back to school in a graduate program. I don't know what the heck that's supposed to accomplish, other than giving him another forty thousand in debt.

Bottom line is, the schooling you receive shouldn't cost more than the experience that you gain will pay. That's why I've just taken courses here and there, making sure that whatever I take will apply in some way to jobs. Otherwise it's just an expensive hobby.

My younger brother, who makes more than me, has a GED and does sales in a high-level technical book publisher that distributes to fortune 5000 companies. That's just because of his skills, not his schooling. Most employers look for competence, not a piece of paper that says you did time at a university.

My two cents. I would say that if your job isn't challenging you enough and the experience isn't valuable, graduate to a new job, not a new diploma.

Comment

The problem is im not getting any REAL professional training. I am learning a LOT in school. Id hate to give up the hands on work.. but its not teaching me how to do things the correct way.. yanno?

I think i am going to research Loans and Grants. I did hear if you have 10% of a certain nationality in you you can get grants for that nationality.. I am part Native American.. Ima ask my dad to research that. I also heard Native Americans have a lot of oppurtunities out there.. so we'll see..

This is just ANOTHER thing to add to the many things that are suckin in my life right now. LOL

I am really dissapointed because I qualified for the Certificate for Desktop Publishing after my two classes in the Spring Semester.. I know the Cert isnt like a Associates or a BA But i never ever thought i was going to have any type of degree. Hell I am suprised I graduated Highschool with out I was.

Im super scared to sacrifice my freedom and feel like i HAVE to live at my dads house. That I think is the hardest thing I am going to have to overcome. The last week has been tough adjusting to parents again. Its going well.. But still.. No privacy.

LOL I AM SOOO SORRY GUYS!! Ive had a drama-filled buncha weeks and im venting to yall.. Im VERY sry

Comment

40thCentDesign said...
                              Loans are a pain, though. A lot of my friends who went through college on loans are still paying them off (at age 30), and some of them have told me that they wished they had just gone right into work rather than school. School is good, but a lot of the time it can become a stop-gap between jobs. For example, a friend of mine went to four-year college at a very expensive school. When he graduated, he couldn't find a job to his liking. So, instead of starting off at a small job and working his way up, he went back to school in a graduate program. I don't know what the heck that's supposed to accomplish, other than giving him another forty thousand in debt.
                              This is EXACTLY why i am terrified to get a loan.. and why i never went to college until i realized that i love graphic design more then getting drunk at a bar. (sad huh? LOL)

Thats why I did this post. I could get different ideas and thoughts from everyone. And thats y i am presenting my situation back. a forum full of brains is better then one brain.

I just dont know.. I have a lot of thinking to do. [img]/emoticons/dry.gif[/img]

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X