X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gustav!

It's dropped to a Cat 3 but is expected to jump back up to Cat 4 possibly a 5 by Sunday night. It's due to hit Louisiana within 24 hours. They said it's following Katrina's path and mandatory evacuation has begun and the traffic flow has been reversed so all roads leading into New Orleans is out only. Looks like Nagin isn't sitting back on this one.

Some parts of Texas and Alabama are also being evacuated.

They are saying this has the potential to be the Storm of the century.

I hope everyone gets out this time and doesn't decide to try and ride it out.

This storm tore Cuba up pretty badly.

I've been watching MSNBC ... it's about the only news story they are covering ... other than the Republican Convention might need to get pushed back vs risking looking insensitive to what's happening by throwing a party

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

I'm glad to see evacuation. You have to feel a little bit for some of those people who are just getting back on their feet and this has the potential of the likes we've never seen? Yikes. I can't imagine being displaced from my home. At least the critters are allowed to be evacuated this time.

Comment

It would be nice for them to get a break from this type of thing down there. *fingers crossed* for safety.
      Take everything in moderation, even moderation.

Comment

It's very sad to see this happening again down there. People are still recovering from Katrina and Rita.
        "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

I've been watching this one pretty anxiously, two of my brothers live near the bayou, so they are getting prepared for the worst. Doesn't Cornfed live over there also? I think V-twin Gary is somewhere near there too? Hope everyone is OK.
          “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

Cornfed's in the area, but she's evacuated to Texas. Gary's in Florida, I believe, so not sure where he's at in relation to the danger zone.

What about you Brie, are you far enough away from harm's way?

I hope everyone's okay.

Comment

Yes, WannaBrie, I live there! I live in Lafayette. I'm currently in the absolute middle of nowhere in Texas at my husbands parents ranch. We plan to head back home as soon as possible so we can assess the damage.
              You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

Originally posted by cornfed
                Yes, WannaBrie, I live there! I live in Lafayette. I'm currently in the absolute middle of nowhere in Texas at my husbands parents ranch. We plan to head back home as soon as possible so we can assess the damage.
                I thought you were close, but good that you're a bit farther away right now. Is it just happenstance or did you all evacuate?
                “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

Didn't New Orleans have half a million people before Katrina? I heard on the News tonight that "a third of a million people are leaving...." If this storm dead center hits there won't be much left besides the French Quarter. No one is going to live there.

Comment

I'll be driving through the aftermath of all this too... Roomate is moving so were driving to CA on Friday... Gustav could definitely makes things interesting if it gets stronger.
                    Tumblr Blog Thing

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBrie
                      I thought you were close, but good that you're a bit farther away right now. Is it just happenstance or did you all evacuate?
                      We evacuated yesterday. We got everything tied down and secured and left town in the afternoon. It took forever to get here. Traffic was pretty terrible. We took back roads, too. I'm sure it's gonna take forever to get back, too. We are thinking of heading north to Arkansas and then around by the border of Mississippi to go around the storm so we can get back home sooner and check our house. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it goes before we can really decide.
                      You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

I really hope all will be well, Cornfed. I can't believe you guys are going through this again.

Comment

Originally posted by urstwile
                          I really hope all will be well, Cornfed. I can't believe you guys are going through this again.
                          It is a Hurricane prone area. That is what made the first disaster so bad. It wasn't a "surprise" hurricane, and the local and federal government should of realized that.
                          Like living in the midwest. You might not see a tornado, but that doesn't mean they arn't there.

It amazes me that people move here, to the midwest, and some don't expect tornados or flooding.

Comment

Rienfu, Katrina wasn't really the first disaster. Lots of people who don't live in Louisiana think it is. Audrey in 1957 was massive, as was Betsy in 1965. Hurricanes are part of life down here. That's fine, but most of them don't turn out to be so huge and destructive. This is the first time I've every truly worried for my own home, though. My parents and the rest of my family lost everything in Katrina. The idea of that happening here just churns my stomach.

Sweet Tea, post in this thread and let me know what you guys ended up doing.

For those of you that didn't know, Sweet Tea sits next to me at the office. Last I heard, they were planning to stay.

Comment

Last night I saw that Lafayette was in the direct path (according to the experts calculations) of the hurricaine, I was thinking of you cornfed, I'm so sorry you're going through this. At least it's been downgraded to a level 2, hopefully it won't be as bad as predicted.
                              sigpic
                              The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity
                              ~Rollo May

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X