X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will You Survive a Zombie Outbreak?

So as it so happens in another forum I participate on we're talking about how we would survive a zombie outbreak in the most realistic ways possible.

None of that zombie movie rambo stuff, or hijacking a helicopter/tank/jet/bomb and destroying them all type of thing.

So I was wondering how the folks at the GDF would fair if there were to be an outbreak.

I want you, forum dwellers, to explain how you would react to a genuine, end-of-the-world, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria outbreak of the walking dead.

Couple of important points to go over:

Try to be both realistic and honest.
    It's one thing to say you'd go jack an army surplus truck and start ****ing shit up, it's another to practically do it. So don't feel the need to embellish. If you'd go looting and hole up to wait it out, I want to hear it. If you would make love to your sweetie and then eat a bullet, I want to hear it. If you would spin in a circle screaming like a ninny until you were devoured, I want to hear it.

Use your actual location to your advantage.
    Imagine that you are at work or at home when a news broadcast come on explaining the situation. You know your city or your town. What are your goals? How do you get around? What are your priorities? How accessible are weapons?

The zombie horde.
    There have been a lot of creative takes on the nature of zombiedom in film, television, and books. We're sticking with the classic shambler, as seen in the original Night of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead, and as described in both the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z. Remove the head or destroy the brain.
    Tumblr Blog Thing

I sidetracked myself into a rather lengthy post myself: and of course if there is a zombie outbreak you all are certainly welcome to come down here - I have apparently thought this out rather thoroughly.

This is something I've given some casual thought to, usually after watching a zombie movie but I've never really considered it in the context of my environment or of it actually occurring.

A few things to my advantage: I live in a small town about 20 miles south of a major city. There is easy access to the highway if that becomes necessary but most likely it should be avoided.

In this Small town I live on a canal with access to the river and the bay, and furthermore, I'm on a peninsula with about 20 -ish other homes, almost everyone has boats and the houses are all raised up per flood zone regulation stuff.

Getting supplies from the Grocery and getting either some firearms would perhaps be a good idea early on but this depends entirely on how it spreads, and the potential rate of infection in my town. Lots of golfers too, so plenty of nice zombie head bashing tools around.

If it's big enough to cause concern, the first thing to do would be to go to all the houses on the peninsula and alert people, check for zombies, kill them if there are any and then barricade access to the neighborhood.

We have quite a few people in the neighborhood with useful professions as well, electricians, architects, fishermen, doctors, mechanics, one neighbor is an avid hunter. I can't necessarily guarantee their availability or zombification but they can still be considered. Which is ultimately more useful if this is a long drawn out affair but nonetheless good to have around. Also a lot of us have generators (for hurricanes) and some of us have solar panels as well that might be repurposed.

Potential problems of course would be food, fuel, and too many zombies vs weapons to keep them away. Luckily there are plenty of crabs and catfish in the water around here, and a lot of other seafood in the river and bay. As long as there is fuel we can potentially get food, even without fuel but at a more arduous pace.

In case of too many zombies, or if the neighborhood is already too zombified to rally together its possible to take the boat to any number of islands around here.

There is also MacDill airforce base in Tampa which could be a possible place of refuge - which we would probably approach by boat for safety's sake.

So, assuming I'm at home I think I could possibly fair pretty well.

So if anyone else lives in the Tampa, Fl area this might not be a horrible place to head to.
    Tumblr Blog Thing

Comment

I've had this discussion before!

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-zombies.htm
      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I would need to hook up with some big strong man to protect me lol ....

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

right here kittie!

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Morea, are you trying to imply that Zombie's are not a realistic enough threat that a single discussion can manage the very complicated nature of a Zombie pandemic?

That sort of complacency might very well get you killed.

There might even be one right now, you just never know.

Tumblr Blog Thing

Comment

We all know that zombies cannot resist a funky groove. I would just put on "Thriller" and dance with them. They would be my new brain-eating friends.

Comment

Originally posted by NTLemon View Post
                Morea, are you trying to imply that Zombie's are not a realistic enough threat that a single discussion can manage the very complicated nature of a Zombie pandemic?
                Not at all. A single (but thorough) discussion, a chainsaw, a place to hole up complete with tiger pit and wood chipper, a supply of medicines, water and canned foods and some sort of generator should certainly make some headway though. Plus, I brew my own beer.

Originally posted by Ben Kessler View Post
                We all know that zombies cannot resist a funky groove. I would just put on "Thriller" and dance with them. They would be my new brain-eating friends.
                Actually, that might work even better...
                "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

*writes down learn to brew beer on checklist*
                  Tumblr Blog Thing

Comment

First off a chainsaw is an impractical weapon to use against zombies. Does Bruce Campbell make it look bad ass? Shit Yes he does. But its drawbacks far outweigh the cool factor.

A. Chainsaws are heavy
                    B. Chainsaws rely on gasoline
                    C. Chainsaws have a relatively short attack range.

You would be much better off with a light blunt weapon (baseball bat) as your main melee weapon a shotgun to blast your way through the hordes of undead.

If you are really interested in preparing for the unavoidable zombie apocalypse read the zombie survival guide.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zombie_Survival_Guide
                    Last edited by MD; 07-14-2009, 05:47 PM.
                    Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                    http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Very interesting topic. I'm lucky to live out in the boonies - and all my neighbors own guns and enjoy hunting and we are all friends - so in theory we could do alright for a while. Most of the women in our town also enjoy stockpiling - and we all have gardens - so supplies wouldn't be too bad for a while either. Now if i was at work - smack in the middle of corporate downtown seattle - i'd be screwed.
                      - Jen

"You cannot soar with eagles if you surround yourself with turkeys"

My blog

Comment

Are we talking about traditional zombies or the new fast zombies?

Comment

I'd urge caution in responding to this! It could be an exceptionally well-executed zombie phishing scam.

It used to be that these scams were simple to spot. The multiple references to "Brrraaaaaaaiiiiiinnnnssssssssss" were a dead giveaway. On top of that, it's usually pretty obvious if something has been clumsily typed by cold rigor mortised fingers.

However, today's zombie is more sophisticated than ever before. They'd like nothing better than to learn our secret anti-zombie strategies in order to feast on our delicious brains.

Comment

man if zombies can use google why can't some of these n00bs?

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Originally posted by Cre8tivDirector View Post
                              Now if i was at work - smack in the middle of corporate downtown seattle - i'd be screwed.
                              Not necessarily - a downtown public school is one the safest places to be.

Fenced in schoolyard.

Flat paved surfaces on all sides with no trees obstructing the view. You can see zombies coming from blocks away.

Bars / Gates on all of the windows

Ample food supply

Strong doors.
                              Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                              http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X