No announcement yet.

Will You Survive a Zombie Outbreak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of those answers in the other forum are hysterically funny. People thinking they can easily survive the Adirondacks in the winter? Or on an island in a lake? Or on the ocean? Getting food by looting grocery stores (along with every other desparate individual who thinks the same thing).
    What do you consider an ample food/water supply? If it isn't renewable, it isn't ample.

This topic of zombies also comes up from time to time in another forum I hang out in. There, the focus is much more realistic in terms of survival and protection. Whether you're alone or in a group. Whether you are in a city or near the country.

The trick to avoiding a predator is to act like a rabbit. The other trick to survival is to avoid the rabid crowd. Assuming the military isn't infected, let them handle it. Get yourself armed, grab your B.O.B. and head for the hills til it's safe to come down. Just know how to survive in the hills for a couple of years, not weeks or months. Or make your stand in a fortified home (Bugging In instead of Bugging out) but prepare to go mobile at any moment.

Too serious, huh?

Comment

I'm not sure how anyone couldn't survive if it's the traditional slow zombies.

Comment

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups... i think the same would go for zombies

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
          What do you consider an ample food/water supply? If it isn't renewable, it isn't ample.
          A typical downtown school has enough food on hand to serve hundreds of students breakfast and lunch daily. If you and 6 friends hunkered down in a school and they only had 1 week of supplies on hand for the school you could easily last for a few years.

If you were lucky the school would have a backup generator to keep the lights and you could probably construct a greenhouse for the roof. You could find all of the necessary tools and supplies in the wood shop or art department.
          Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
          http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Haha I don't think its too serious PD at least I think that was what was to be attempted at any rate.

Some people had pretty naive responses but there were a lot of pretty carefully thought out ones, mainly in terms not only surviving for a long time but surviving the other survivors too.

Also something to think about in terms of slow zombies is that a lot of people acting under duress will end up caught in the thick of it, either by trying to leave through major highways or acting without thinking or being unable to adapt.

The shamblers may not have the smarts or speed going for them but they tend to act in horde mentalities so you usually have large numbers against you and for the majority of people I think that once they're surrounded probably don't have really good means of escape available to them.

Also there is the problem that civilians will be initially intermixed in the zombie populated areas so a comprehensive military response could be problematic.
            Tumblr Blog Thing

Comment

Use deadly decibels...

"Exactly 200 decibels will kill a human. At 200 decibels the bones that vibrates to form sound can not withstand the sound and blast directly into the brain causing the person to die immediately If that doesn't happen after a few seconds of such high noise frequencies the brain will become unable to withstand the intense vibrations and actually explode literally it will not cause the cranium (skull) to automatically blow to bits but the brain is ultra sensitive so it would just burst and the blood would eventually leak out the ears."
              http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_d..._will_kill_you

I'll start designing a zombie blaster [ ZB ] asap! And then, go find some zombies.

Zombie hunt !!!

Comment

I would outsmart the zombies by immediately killing myself. Yeah, try to kill me now zombies, you can't, because I'm dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Grfk Dzgn View Post
                  Use deadly decibels...

"Exactly 200 decibels will kill a human. At 200 decibels the bones that vibrates to form sound can not withstand the sound and blast directly into the brain causing the person to die immediately If that doesn't happen after a few seconds of such high noise frequencies the brain will become unable to withstand the intense vibrations and actually explode literally it will not cause the cranium (skull) to automatically blow to bits but the brain is ultra sensitive so it would just burst and the blood would eventually leak out the ears."
                  http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_d..._will_kill_you

I'll start designing a zombie blaster [ ZB ] asap! And then, go find some zombies.

Zombie hunt !!!
                  i would go this route!

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

Comment

I don't think you live long if you go hunting zombies with a highly experimental untested homemade zombie blaster.
                    Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                    http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Typically View Post
                      right here kittie!

Ooooh c'mere Typ ... Save Me!!

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                      People thinking they can easily survive the Adirondacks in the winter?
                      Hey after having survived 45 Winters in the Adirondacks .... Zombies don't really scare me

..... you didn't hear that Typically ... I still need to be saved

Comment

im on my wayyyyyyyy! and i'm bringin brownies!!!

Comment

Wooo Hoo!!!!! I'll get some cold milk to wash down those brownies

Comment

The checklist for surviving a zombie apocalypse. By Riefnu

Step 1: location location location

Take over a Super Walmart / Super Target / Large Kmart or best equivlent.

The reasoning being that not only are these buildings filled with large amounts food, often in cans, but small arms are sometimes sold in the sporting goods aisles along with ammunition. Also they probably have a auto/hardware department for an ample supply of tools/ blunt objects.

Large amounts of clothing can be worn/burned/used for medical in a pinch.

There are relatively few entrances/exits for a building of that size. Really on the fire exits and the main doors are the problem. The loading bays should already be closed unless a delivery truck has crashed into one.

The camping goods aisle alone should warrant taking over one of these stores.

Also consider that the store room will have more useful items. Improvisation goldmine. Just think of all the duct tape! And bacon!

Step 2: Arm yourself

Heavy weapons are a nono

Shotguns, contrary to popular belief, really take a lot of effort to keep blasting heads off the brain eating massed hordes. Unless you have a AA-12 Opt for a automatic weapon, or, preferably, a military grade flamethrower. Such weapons can take out multiple zombies at once if set to high enough coverage.

For a melee weapon make a spear. Why a spear? Because it is a long weapon that is easy to use. A bonus that you can be high up and still keep stabbing. If a spear is unavailable and materials to make one are not around go for sword, if that is available, or a crowbar, more likely. Wood Axes do NOT make good melee weapons. Don't know why? Go try and chop down a tree with one.

Step 3: survivors

Treat initial survivors as friends and allies, but treat later survivors for what they are. People who are foolish enough to move about during a zombie apocalypse looking for something to exploit so they can survive.

This makes the dangerous, desperate, and deadly. Not only are they desperate to survive, but they have been surviving against hordes of brain hungry zombies. Recognize that intelligence and skill, but be wary. You might be in their list of "Kill to survive". Your best bet is to present a united front, if you have multiple survivors, but give them supplies and temporary shelter for the time being. Do not give them time to get settled in, and possibly planning to usurp your control of location.

If you're alone in your survival actions then you must absolutely agree with joining up with them. It might suck, but its better than becoming zombie slurpee.

Step 4: Shoot anything that doesn't acknowledge a loud, and not easily missed, warning.

This goes for traumatized survivors as well as zombies. As bad as it sounds you can't be to careful. However do not shoot first and ask questions later unless you're in something like a L4D scenario and the zombies can climb like geckos while running like Greek marathoners.

Not only will the pile of dead rotting zombies possibly distract the remaining horde for easy pickings. Possible raiders might assume this to be better defended territory than first glance, and will at least know that armed and hardened survivors are inside.

If raiders still attack, use the flamethrower and any major weaponry available. Don't start small and hope to scare them off. Go big or else.

Step 5. Waiting.

Also known as. Until you run out of food/water/bullets don't move.

Stay put. Thin the zombie hordes. Wait for possible rescue by armed military (if they aren't zombitized).

Also if you're following Step 4 the zombie horde in your area should be depleted significantly, and your aim should have improved considerably. Zombies are limited in number to always be less than the population before. For one you're not among them (hopefully), and that means 1 less than the total. Another is that not all people have enough left to become zombies after a certain critical mass called "Number of zombies eating the brains Vs remaining body mass" So large hordes will hardly grow at all as they tend to leave little or nothing left of victims to become zombies.

If you run out of food or water try and make it to another grocery store. Most towns have several. If there are survivors there be polite and accept their demands from you. Even if it means leaving empty handed. However be cautious of potential cannibalism and psychotic nut cases.

This concludes the zombie survival guide by Riefnu.

This guide also works in case of Anarchy taking effect, and nuclear holocaust.

Comment

I have the Zombie Survival Guide, its a great read if anyone is into zombies.

As per the instructions in the book I would do pretty well I can imagine. Also, watch out for water, most people think zombies are immune to water or can't travel in it. YOU ARE DEAD WRONG! Zombies just walk on the bottom of the lake/ocean/river until they reach the other side. However some experts have concluded that some ocean depths would prevent any living or dead thing from traveling because of the immense pressure of deep oceans.
                              ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

Hmmm...the schools I used to go to that had abundant food, not too many years ago resorted to trucking it in from an off-site "catering" service. They just warm it up in the steam tables. I imagine that to be the case in many places these days.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• kaila58
                                  Reply to Portfolio critique
                                  kaila58
                                  Good point, but in my opinion it's distracting in a portfolio and lacks attention to detail when displaying work.
                                  Yesterday, 11:30 PM
                                • PrintDriver
                                  Reply to Portfolio critique
                                  PrintDriver
                                  Ha, I noticed the printing and registration marks and thought it refreshing to see a designer who knows to include them....
                                  Yesterday, 10:00 PM
                                • B
                                  Reply to Is my job keeping me from doing good work?
                                  B
                                  One of the problems with in-house situations is that, as often as not, the upper management's expertise lies in areas other than marketing, communication or creative. Worse still, is that they don't know...
                                  Yesterday, 10:00 PM
                                • PrintDriver
                                  Reply to Designer input for a card sort activity!
                                  PrintDriver
                                  Envato? Really? LOL

Y'all sure this ain't an ad?...
                                  Yesterday, 09:58 PM
                                • PrintDriver
                                  Reply to Is my job keeping me from doing good work?
                                  PrintDriver
                                  This might come across as a snobbish perspective. And I do work in a very weird corner of the design industry, where the theatrical/digital/print world all intersect.
                                  That said...
                                  When our...
                                  Yesterday, 09:51 PM
                                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X