Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• cdgc
    Retail vs Contract Pricing
    cdgc
    Looking for some input on this matter.

Many years ago we published a map for railroad enthusiasts that was 1/1 black and folded several times into 3.5" by 9". Nothing all that...
    Today, 09:28 PM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to Are you able to read the text?
    Kayekaye
    Better photo, but flip it so the eye travels left to right. Having on the left side it kind of stops the eye there.

Have you not learned about line lengths? This is about 88 characters long....
    Today, 09:14 PM
  • sketxz!
    Reply to BEST COMPUTER CONFIGURATION FOR GRAPHIC DESIGNERS?
    sketxz!
    So I got the new SSD and it's amazing. It fits in the palm of my hand but so much speed compared to my old one. Here's some graphs of before and after (keep in mind it was a buggy 5 year old drive):...
    Today, 08:43 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    <b>
    It's an interesting-looking graphic, but for the reasons already mentioned, it doesn't really meet the usual requirements of a logo. I'm not a big fan of Lobster either, but that's just me.
    Today, 08:37 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on Too old to switch to the field of graphic art?
    <b>
    Well, I don't know. Increasingly a four-year degree is needed to get past HR hiring requirements in many companies.

Your situation might be a little different, though. You mentioned a background...
    Today, 07:22 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crafty Designers! Post your projects here!

Alright, so I figure a lot of us design and make things other than our "day-job" graphic design projects, so I thought I'd start a thread where we can post photos of our projects and possibly get feedback and stuff too.

Crafts of all kinds, woodworking projects, stuffed animals, clothing, folk art, jewelry, leather work, glassblowing, etc.

What ELSE do YOU design?

I will start:

I make jewelry out of recycled bicycle parts. I haul them around to craft fairs and have a few retail locations here and there that sell my stuff.

What do ya think??
    Attached Files

Comment

I pull hand-made paper. No current pix though.
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I've almost finished upholstering a chair. I need a good kick up the backside to finish it off. Then I got a second chair to do in the same way.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I got interested in macrame many years ago and made this purse. Later I also made a slightly larger one for Grandma.

One of these days I'll get pictures of the one I crocheted last year.
          "It's not that I don't want to trust people. It's that they give me reasons not to." ~ Me

Comment

I haven't done this stuff for years but I used to be quite crafty

Here is some Raku pottery I did back in HS and college. I used to really love pottery and this kinda makes me want to get back into it again.

The native American pot isn't authentic designs by any means but I did try and make my designs in a way that would honor their traditions and customs so I did them the way I remembered them from books and museums. I think I did a pretty good job

...and the last thing, I went to Whole Foods a few years back and was like, "$7 BUCKS FOR HANDMADE SOAP?!?!?!!!" ...so I decided I wanted to try and make my own in case I wanted to fall back on selling $7/bar soap. It was actually a big hit when I gave it away for Christmas gifts that year.

This is just a reminder of how busy this life makes us, that we can't do some of the other stuff that makes us happy, like we used to. Cheers!
            Attached Files
            An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision.

Comment

Wow, nice Raku! I really like those pieces.

Originally posted by UtahRugbyGuy View Post
              ...and the last thing, I went to Whole Foods a few years back and was like, "$7 BUCKS FOR HANDMADE SOAP?!?!?!!!" ...so I decided I wanted to try and make my own in case I wanted to fall back on selling $7/bar soap. It was actually a big hit when I gave it away for Christmas gifts that year.
              I have the same problem with soap as I do with handmade paper made with plant fibers...the alkaloids. Use and disposal of lye and washing soda kinda freak me out. I'm über-careful when I use them. But you can't beat paper made from the plants in your back yard!
              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

We had a thread like this a while back .. it's nice to get updates from newer members.

here is the old one for those interested:

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=30875

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                  Wow, nice Raku! I really like those pieces.

I have the same problem with soap as I do with handmade paper made with plant fibers...the alkaloids. Use and disposal of lye and washing soda kinda freak me out. I'm über-careful when I use them. But you can't beat paper made from the plants in your back yard!

Yeah, actually, I saw your earlier post and saw you made your own paper. As a designer, i can really appreciate that, as I've always wanted to make it myself ...and I'd be interested in maybe buying some from you to use on mock-ups for projects. And then, if the client liked it and it was for a big project, we could order as many as like 1000 sheets or maybe even more. The sky's the limit, really. ...is that many even doable? or is this more of just a hobby for you?
                  An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision.

Comment

Oh, strictly a hobby for me! And it's seasonal. I have to work outside. I appreciate the thought, but you'd do better finding someone who takes it more seriously. I make just enough paper for myself to use in collage and papier-mache. (Yeah, I know I skipped all the diacriticals, it's 6:42 a.m. You're lucky I spelled everything correctly! )

Comment

last summer i started screen printing.... i take pics of everything i do, so when i get home ill post a few
                      Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing.
                      - Randy K. Milholland

Comment

I do cross stitching.
                        I love that there is a pattern to follow, that i can change if I want (I often change colours and things).
                        But mostly I love the sound and feel of the needle and thread through the fabric.

I'd have to go on a hunt for some samples for what I have done to post. Maybe later...
                        I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

My only current project is repainting an old lawn chair.

Before:

During:

Unfortunately, that's where it is right now. I haven't had time to work the tight spots with my tool. Will update when I get her done.

[pics posted from Facebook, let me know if they don't show up]

Comment

Originally posted by longboy View Post
                            I haven't had time to work the tight spots with my tool. Will update when I get her done.

Comment

It's unofficially Innuendo Day at my cubicle, so I'm just following the theme.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X