Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• vaprarts
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    vaprarts
    Now i have no real experience working with clients but in my opinion you did what most designers should do. You are being hired as a designer not an artist. Its our job to create work that makes sense....
    Today, 02:58 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zoo Business Card Critique Wanted
    Buda
    I really like the aesthetic.

Will you do more in the series? You could have a different design for different departments.
    Today, 02:44 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Sweden's official national typeface
    Buda
    Cool idea but I'm not convinced that font will work in every situation. Can they remove Comic Sans from all government computers? That would be a nice start.

My mum works for a government...
    Today, 02:43 AM
  • it52
    Reply to Infographics...struggle
    it52
    I do find them a bit boring. I think the layout and graphics themselves are too simple. I think you can definitely try adding some more detail to the graphics and experiment a bit more with your layo...
    Today, 01:19 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    <b>
    I always try to recommend what I think will work best for the client -- even when it means a lower fee for me. It sort of boils down to a matter of being professional and honest, which as far as I'm concerned,...
    Today, 12:40 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need verbage help

So let's say I have a client who wants to use some unethical photos, and wants our shop to print them. Let's say I can tell he stole these images from the web. Does anyone have any kind of verbiage they could link me too that is basically a release form that gets my shop off the hook if we print it? I know we have had similar discussions here in the past, so if anyone has some copy they could throw my way that would be stellar!
    ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

I assume then that the photos are too small resolution for print?

In those cases we send an email back to the client letting them know that their files are unacceptable and why. Then we have a line that reads "please confirm that COMPANY NAME takes no responsibility for poor print quality or any other issues arising from the use of these images.

And have them email us back that they agree to the terms. (could have a contract to have signed too).
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Oh we have already gone over the low res thing. These are 10kb files that they want blown up to 8 feet. LMFAO. It's one of those "Shit in, shit out" clients.

BUT, we need full legal coverage. Let's say my client wanted to use a disney character, and blow it up to the size of a building. What kind of document can I have them sign that gets our shop off the hook if we print it? I don't want disney coming back to sue us (I could care less about the client) and again, this is all speculation, disney is not involved it this, it's just an example.
      ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

I don't think there is any legal verbiage you can use. Your customer needs to get a release to use the photos, and if you print it without that release you are as liable as they are.
        I'm assuming here.

Comment

Hmmm. Well I don't think that would hold up in court very well if we just played dumb. "Oh sorry judge, how were we supposed to know they stole these images, where just a print shop" How are they gonna say that we knew they were stolen images? All hypothetical of course

Comment

The client is solely responsible for the images, if you print them and they don't have the right license to use them then they are at fault.

I'd say it would be best to get a solicitor to come up with the verbage for something like this.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

You could go to Getty or Corbis and read their legal. Look for an Indemnity statement or clause. Usually with the term "agrees to hold harmless" and "agrees to pay all legal fees" yada yada yada.
              But seriously, just having that on there may not help if the imagery is so noticeably lifted...Get a lawyer to check it.
              But now that I think of it Corbis' legal statement is also 'copyrighted'.
              All the image houses have pretty much the same statement though.

Euge, printers do get dragged down with the designer sometimes. It depends on the source and how rabid they are. As a printer you are within your rights to ask to see the release. They don't have to show it to you or they could show you a phoney one.
              Last edited by PrintDriver; 12-13-2010, 07:17 PM.

Comment

I know Disney will come after you. I've needed to get clearance for images tons of times for them. Other places perhaps not so rabid.

Comment

The print shop I used to work in had to deal with this all the time, as people would want to do something with the Calgary Flames logo on it. We would simply refuse the business unless they could provide us with a written release to use the logo. We would then make a copy of the release, and attach it to the proof that they'd sign off on. If they couldn't supply us with one, we'd tell them "Without proof of consent to duplicate the logo, we legally can not print this for you." We'd usually get sworn at, and loose any future business from them, but we didn't care. A Staples store here in Calgary went through the same thing with a Flames logo, but they did print it. The Flames got in touch with them and they had to pay a $10,000 fine for each instance they duplicated the logo for this person. The client was also nailed.
                  Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                  | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                  | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

Wow! :O That'll larn'em

Comment

Did the print shop go after the designer for damages?

There are a lot of estates out there that are rabid and will come after you. Most of the franchises as well. Disney is incredibly attentive. Agents for movie stars and rock groups. Record labels. Any company that has one lawyer or a marketing department that knows how to google their own company and property names can find you fairly easily.

That's why I said to get a lawyer to look at the indemnity clause. It won't always save your butt.
                      Last edited by PrintDriver; 12-14-2010, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X