• MichaelWied
    Comment on Company Logo Rebranding Critique
    MichaelWied
    Cant' see it for some reason.
    Today, 04:15 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Please help with company logo
    Buda
    Is the company name still The Fitness Doctors? The latest logo doesn't show this.
    Today, 03:38 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Happy Last Friday of July!!!!
    Buda
    Oh lala, if your summer is ending, that means my winter is ending.

Amazing pirate mermaid wedding! I went to a pirate birthday party on a boat once but that doesn't even compare to a wedding....
    Today, 03:35 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to Freelance Advice - Family Conflict
    salsa
    If it were me, I'd just write off all the work done so far as pro bono. Like several others already mentioned, I do all family work for free and if they want to pay me then that's an extra bonus.
    Today, 03:23 AM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to Freelance Advice - Family Conflict
    Kayekaye
    I had inlaws approach me for a logo and website. What a nightmare. They are a married professional couple and said "Of course we would pay you, $___ (an amount that barely covers 2 hours of work)...
    Today, 03:07 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird/stupid things you did when you were a kid

I was lurking in a thread where someone mentioned they used to love to eat paste when they were a kid. It reminded me of stuff I did when I was a kid and so I thought I'd post an anecdote.

At lunch in 4th grade one day, I got some soup from the lunch line, but it tasted nasty and I didn't want to eat it. Instead, I mixed random condiments into it until it looked about identical to vomit.

Next I got my spork and flung some at birds (kids ate outside at my elementary school). I managed to hit a pigeon walking on the ground on the back. If cooed, shook it off, and kept on eating crumbs.

Then, I flung some straight into the air. It landed in the middle of a table where some other girls were eating. I heard them freak out and say, "OMG WHAT IS IT? I DON't KNOW! I THINK IT'S BIRD POOP! AAAAAH!"

Then I poured some into an empty chip bag I found. I went over to an acquaintance and asked, "Do you want some chips?" She said thanks and took it and I walked away. I heard from some other kids that when she saw what was inside, she thought it was real barf and she thought it was so gross that she started barfing.

I didn't mean to make her barf or anything, but thought the last bit was mildly amusing, so I thought I'd post it. I did lots of random stupid things when I was a kid and got into trouble sometimes.

I'm surprised I didn't get into more trouble when I flushed rocks down the toilet at school in 2nd grade just to see what would happen.

I also killed a cactus once because I forgot to water it for a couple of years. I wasn't that bright of a child. Since I usually kill most plants I try to take care of, I thought I'd have better luck with a cactus. Apparently I was wrong. It got covered in a pile of paper and then I cleaned it off a few years later and was like, "Oh yeah... I use to have a cactus..."
    Last edited by dorito; 09-07-2011, 07:12 PM.

Heheh, sounds like Chunk's confession in the Goonies.

Comment

Hmmm, two things that I can think of after reading your story:

1. Took an empty shampoo bottle and added some bath water and various other smelly (good smells) things after each bath I took. Sometimes I'd add liquid soap, sometimes some aftershave, probably toothpaste. Maybe even spraying deodorant and I'm sure mouthwash. Anyway, I kept it on the ledge on the tub and each time I took a bath, I'd pour some out to see what it looked like/viscosity and maybe how it smelled, I need to know what type of "ingredient" to add in next and most likely added in some more used bathwater to it. Anyhow, after many months my mom made me throw it out. Apparently my sister had a friend stay the night and was in the shower and used my bottle of shampoo. And said it seemed odd and didn't really suds up much at all!

2. In my teenage years (guessing on this one but I know I was older than the Shampoo age) I found some Taco Bell hot sauce packets around and decided to take a hammer to the packets. OUCH! Hot sauce promptly hit me in the face. Now, I liked (still like) hot foods but when it suddenly splatters your face it kinda burns.
      Dribbble Page
      Behance Portfolio
      Linkedin Profile

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
        Heheh, sounds like Chunk's confession in the Goonies.
        Hey you guys! –Does the truffle shuffle– Classic Flick
        Design is not decoration.

Comment

Oh yea the Goonies was one of the best movies ever!

btw I have not grown up to a deliquent or anything like that just fyi...

Speaking of toothpaste, when I was in kindergarten, I tried to rename myself toothpaste for a day. I thought people should think that's my name so that my real name can be a secret identity. Then I can be like batman!

Kids say the darndest things...

It was inevitable someone would say that eventually. I had to get it over with. I'm not sure I even like bill cosby much really, but this thread reminded me of that show.

Comment

Bill Cosby is hilarious!! his stage stuff, classic.
            and even his speeches to youth today are real. (not phony, everyone has a great future ahead, but more in lines of "get off your butt and do the right things, nobody will hand you anything, make something of yourself")

howdy Toothpaste!
            Dribbble Page
            Behance Portfolio
            Linkedin Profile

Comment

Originally posted by BJMRGTIVR6 View Post
              Bill Cosby is hilarious!! his stage stuff, classic.
              and even his speeches to youth today are real. (not phony, everyone has a great future ahead, but more in lines of "get off your butt and do the right things, nobody will hand you anything, make something of yourself")

howdy Toothpaste!
              Yea he's not too bad actually. I take back anything bad I said. He's good, but I just got tired of him after watching "Kids Say the Darndest Things" too many times.

One more thing I did:
              In 6th grade my science teacher was giving a lecture. Everyone in the class was silent and attentive. In the middle of the lecture she was giving, I suddenly stood up and started dancing and singing the words to a commercial I saw for absolutely no reason on impulse. The teacher stopped because I was loud and disruptive. Everyone stared and laughed and clapped.

Almost surprisingly, my science teacher actually liked me that year. I guess because I liked science more than history.

My best friend said that when she was a kid, she wanted to be a mad scientist so she could sew dead things together and bring them back to life. When she was 5 or 6, someone told her that a mad scientist was not a valid career path. She started crying because she wanted to be a mad scientist so bad. I like her aspiration to be a mad scientist. We both think it is an amusing and unusual aspiration.

BJMRGTIVR6 sounds like he would be a good mad scientist too. Maybe some type of chemist.
              Last edited by dorito; 09-07-2011, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I was a class clown (who's surprised?)....the things I did for attention and laughs is a long list...tho some of my favourites include:

Grade 12:
                Me and my Social teacher were constantly picking on each other. Little quips and comments every day just to keep class interesting. Until Christmas. Around the xmas season, my school used to let you buy candy-grams for people, and have them delivered the period just before lunch. I received 2 that day while sitting in social class. When i went up to get mine, he commented "Oh, how nice...you sent yourself candy!"

I replied. "Well, that wasn't very nice"

He smiled. "Oh, you know me, I can't resist a shot below the belt"

I laughed. "Yea, I'll bet you can't resist ANYTHING below my belt!"

He got mad. "Sit down, and don't say another word for the rest of the class!"

Grade 12 (again):
                Every day for lunch, I would bring a little bottle of Sunny D. And every day, I would peel the label off and attach it to my locker door. At the end of the year, my locker was completely covered. it looked like wall paper. I spent 2 days and an entire can of shellack making sure that whoever had that locker next year, would get it pre-decorated.

Grade 11:
                English class. We were reading Macbeth. My english teacher put a large table in the middle of the class so we could all gather around to read together. She would assign roles to people to read each class. I stayed at my desk in the corner because I didn't want to participate. That was the day she assigned me to read the part of Macbeth. She moved her chair over to make it known exactly where I was expected to sit. Minutes after sitting down, a friend across the table from me opened a brand new small bottle of breath drops (cinnamon). After taking his 2 drops, he slid it across the table to me. I squeezed the entire bottle into my mouth. Within seconds I had tears streaming down my face and I was screaming and gasping for air....I was never asked to participate again.

Other activities included rubber cementing a lunchroom chair onto a table. Letting an open carton of chocolate milk sit in my locker for 3 days, before pouring it into a drinking fountain and stinking out the entire hallway. Breaking a class room door (after my teacher told me to slam it....I guess I took it to far). Breaking out into song in the middle of English class (Duff beer for me, Duff beer for you! I'll have a Duff! You have one too! *repeat in a high pitched voice). Stealing the thermostat out of a teachers car while doing some maintenance on it...no wonder it always over heated. And, of course, my all time favourite story.

Grade 10:
                My H.S. used to do birthday announcements over the school P.A. system. Notice I said USED to....On my friend Kris' birthday, I decided to put in an announcement for him. Only I put it in as Kristine [Lastname]. Then crossed out the 'tine' part. And finished it with "With all my love, James [Anotherlastname]."

Needless to say...when Kris heard it, he was far from impressed. James too. Then Kris when after James. James informed him it was me....the jokes followed them both all through H.S. and the birthday announcements stopped.

I told this story at Kris' wedding 2 summers ago.

There's more, but those are just the most memorable at this time.
                Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

You guys are were very naughty ... unlike myself .. I was a complete angel growing up

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

DO NOT TRY AT HOME!

I live in a small town pretty much dead-center between to larger cities. My town was cut in half by train tracks - freight trains, not passanger. More often than not the trains would crawl to a stop to switch tracks, blocking all traffic over all of our 4 train crossings... When my friends and I were younger (probably 5th to 8th grade) we would either climb through the stopped trains or if they were going slow enough hop on. Sometimes we'd do it to make it to the other side, others we'd ride it across town so we were close to our destination. A few times we even climbed to the top and jumped from car to car while it was moving.

I look back at this and can't imagine what I was thinking? My fiancee was horrified when I told her and I don't blame her. We were some stupid, and very lucky kids to have made it out unharmed.

I think that story is at the top of my stupid things I did as a kid list.
                    SIZE DOES MATTER!

Comment

Okay, can a mod or someone fix the spelling of WEIRD in the title of this thread? it's making me twitch.
                      Design is not decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Kittie Kat View Post
                        You guys are were very naughty ... unlike myself .. I was a complete angel growing up

Really? You're weird. That means you were a weird kid. Maybe even weirder than the rest of us here.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
                          Okay, can a mod or someone fix the spelling of WEIRD in the title of this thread? it's making me twitch.
                          Sorry 'bout that.

Comment

spelling matters

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                            DO NOT TRY AT HOME!

I live in a small town pretty much dead-center between to larger cities. My town was cut in half by train tracks - freight trains, not passanger. More often than not the trains would crawl to a stop to switch tracks, blocking all traffic over all of our 4 train crossings... When my friends and I were younger (probably 5th to 8th grade) we would either climb through the stopped trains or if they were going slow enough hop on. Sometimes we'd do it to make it to the other side, others we'd ride it across town so we were close to our destination. A few times we even climbed to the top and jumped from car to car while it was moving.

I look back at this and can't imagine what I was thinking? My fiancee was horrified when I told her and I don't blame her. We were some stupid, and very lucky kids to have made it out unharmed.

I think that story is at the top of my stupid things I did as a kid list.
                            When we were in Jr. High one of my best friends got his foot coupled between two train cars. If you've seen the Denzel Washington movie "Unstoppable" what happens to his buddy at the end is what happened Joe. He missed an entire school year. Now it looks like he has a great big nasty nasty vagina between the bones that attach your toes to your ankle. We call it the footgina.
                            Last edited by Lith; 09-07-2011, 09:42 PM.
                            I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

I used to run up and over cars as they were driving towards me...then one day just as I was about to open the door to a friends car, he drove off, I chased after. He stopped, and I was going to go up and over from the trunk to the hood. clipped my foot on the bumper and almost went through his back window.

Me and my friends also used to play catch with the old school 70's lawn darts. The ones with the giant metal spikes on the end. We had a huge hill behind my house when I was a kid, and we'd go out there and bomb a lawn dart back and forth and run to catch it. Now they have stupid round plastic weighted ends on them....not nearly as much fun.
                              Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                              | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                              | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X