Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• garricks
    Reply to Happy Turkey Day!!
    garricks
    Happy Thanksgiving, y'all! I'm stuffeded!
    Yesterday, 11:14 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Just Wanna Introduce Myself
    Buda
    Hi DyZeGFX and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how...
    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
  • DyZeGFX
    Just Wanna Introduce Myself
    DyZeGFX
    I've been searching for graphic design forums to get critiques for my work, and I stumbled upon this site. Anyways, I'm DyZe, or Daniel.

I'm 14, live in Portland, Oregon, and have been designing...
    Yesterday, 09:15 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to Constructive Criticism?
    kemingMatters
    Hello Daniel, welcome to GDF

We ask all new members to read
    very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Yesterday, 09:14 PM
  • DyZeGFX
    Constructive Criticism?
    DyZeGFX
    While I've only been designing for 2 months, mainly on YouTube and the comedy app IFunny, I'd like to get opinions from the professionals

I've perused the site and have only found very...
    Yesterday, 09:06 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving without a Licence

Around a week ago, my great aunt got killed in our village. A 72 years old man without licence or registration literally crashed her to death while she was sitting outside another woman's house. Just so you get the full picture, the small front yard wall next to her broke completely apart! Basically, my aunt was squashed between the front of the car and the wall and took most of the force, as the car was hardly damaged. Thank God, the other woman wasn't standing near her and didn't get a scratch.

This particular fella has a rich history of hazardous driving, as he managed to hit 4 (you heard right) cars in the past - Fortunately they were all minor incidents and noone got hurt. But what really gets me (and everyone around here for that matter), is the fact that his kids didn't behave like responsible grown ups and make sure to keep him away from the wheel in the first place. Instead, they just let him roam around like that! I cringe at the thought of him hitting someone else, cause there were kids playing around there at the time of the accident.

I've had mixed feelings about the whole thing, especially since it could have been so easily avoided. I mean, it's something you could see coming from a mile away, and that's what enraged me the most. I guess the reason I'm sharing all this with you people, is because I feel only good can come out by pointing something as obvious as the fact that you shouldn't be driving without a licence. - Personally I don't have mine yet, and I would never trust myself behind a wheel before actually getting it. It's also a way of paying my respects to my late great aunt.

Bad driving costs lives, it's as simple as that. On that side note, you should also pay close attention to your elderly people still driving. This way you'll be able to catch the first signs when it's time for them to hang over those keys.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

I'm sorry for your great aunt.

Comment

Wow that sucks. I don't have a full drivers license but I'd never drive outside my restrictions. It sounds like there are some people that will never learn.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss Krazy. I do keep an eye on my older relatives, and so far, so good...but I know the day is coming for them.
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I'm very sorry for the grieving that your family must be going through. It's a very sad thing and so unneccesary.

Seventy-two isn't really that old. Sure, it's old enough for some premature senility to set in, but most 72-year-olds are pretty much on the ball and enjoying their retirement. It's not until in the 80s that motor skills and judgment really start to decline.

I know nothing of the laws in Greece, but here in the U.S., depending on the circumstances, that guy could be looking at serious criminal charges, like automobile homicide or manslaughter with a possible prison sentence due to the previous incidents that you mentioned.

At the very least, he'd be looking at a multi-million-dollar criminal negligence law suit brought by your family that would leave him in near poverty, if he wasn't already there. I have little sympathy for people like him.

Comment

Wow that is too bad

I'm so sorry for your loss Krazy ((((hugs))))

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Where the hell did he get the key to the car???? What the hell is wrong with people???
              He'd be looking at mandatory 2 years in my state.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss Krazy.
                And I would hope he is facing a jail term in the negligent death.

I feel completely differently regarding 'where were his kids' though.
                Adults have to take responsibility for their own actions.
                Hindsight is always 20/20. What's 4 fender benders other than a higher insurance premium? I knew kids who had more than that before they got out of college.
                I'm not condoning what he did. I'm just ranting against laying the blame, after the fact, at the feet of others than at the one actually responsible.
                Last edited by PrintDriver; 09-09-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Sorry for you loss Krazy. May your Great Aunt RIP.
                  Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Thanks all, I really appreciate it.

Originally posted by <b> View Post
                    Seventy-two isn't really that old. Sure, it's old enough for some premature senility to set in, but most 72-year-olds are pretty much on the ball and enjoying their retirement. It's not until in the 80s that motor skills and judgment really start to decline.
                    I agree, 72 isn't too old. I Know men who are close to that age and are fairly good drivers. It's his driving skills that I hold against him for the most part.

Originally posted by <b> View Post
                    I know nothing of the laws in Greece, but here in the U.S., depending on the circumstances, that guy could be looking at serious criminal charges, like automobile homicide or manslaughter with a possible prison sentence due to the previous incidents that you mentioned.
                    Things are different here. Laws are less strict on people of his age. If he does get convicted, he'll only have a shorter sentence of six months. Because my village is an enclosed community where everyone Knows eachother, they never took any legal action against him concerning the other incidents. So I'm not sure if it will even make a difference.

Originally posted by GrittyKitty View Post
                    Where the hell did he get the key to the car????
                    He actually owns the car.

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                    I feel completely differently regarding 'where were his kids' though.
                    Adults have to take responsibility for their own actions.
                    I'm not condoning what he did. I'm just ranting against laying the blame, after the fact, at the feet of others than at the one actually responsible.
                    Yes, adults are responsible for their actions. But when certain people neglect being that all together, someone else has to step in. In that man's case, he Knew he was a liability, but didn't step back when he had to.

Thanks again people. I'll keep you posted on the whole thing.
                    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                    Working...
                    X