Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Pixelman
    Data merge in multiple text frames
    Pixelman
    I recently learned how to set up a datamerge with InDesign for some envelopes (thanks to you guys!) but here's a new twist on that.
    Imagine you have a single page with a number of text frames requiring...
    Yesterday, 11:56 PM
  • Danx
    In AI, there are some Pantone+ in the Colour Books, which one should I use?
    Danx
    I don't go to design schools, so I have no idea which should I use. I have Googled but found no answers... Can someone explain to me each one please.
    Yesterday, 11:30 PM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Hello GDF community
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Tim

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Yesterday, 10:32 PM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Hola!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF pixaeiro

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask...
    Yesterday, 10:31 PM
  • Lucifer
    InDesign and Illustrator - am I missing out?
    Lucifer
    Both these programs seem to be popular here. Rarely do I see someone talking about CorelDRAW. I've been using CorelDRAW for less than a month and I'm picking up stuff fast. I assume the Adobe suite is...
    Yesterday, 10:26 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stress and Pacing

Alright, I know we are all in this crazy high-stress industry.
    As many of you know I've been battling some health issues related directly to anxiety and stress for the last year and a half.

So here's my question... and maybe we can share some tips.
    What do you do when you are stressed out?
    Is there anything you do to try and not panic and just get the work done?
    If you know it's going to be a very long day do you treat it differently?

etc.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

I usually take a breather by stepping out of the office for a little bit to clear my head, maybe grab a coffee and a snack to bring back to my desk.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

There are days when panic sets in on getting things done on time. My usual solution is to pick the thing I least most want to do, ignore everything and everyone until its done and the rest of the work just seems to go easier.

Comment

Heh. I've been massaging this text all week to fit a template.

Good Stress and Bad Stress: Is There a Difference?

If you are suffering from extreme stress or long-term stress, your body will eventually wear itself down. But sometimes, small amounts of stress can actually be good.

Understanding your stress level is important. If nothing in your life causes you any stress or excitement, you may become bored or may not be living up to your potential. If everything in your life causes you stress, you may experience health or mental problems that will make your behavior worse.

Recognizing when you are stressed and managing your stress can greatly improve your life. Some short-term stress — for example what you feel before an important job presentation, test, interview, or sporting event — may give you the extra energy you need to perform at your best. But long-term stress — for example constant worry over your job, school, or family — may actually drain your energy and your ability to perform well.

Good Stress: Good stress helps us to go about our daily tasks and achieve those hard-to-reach goals. This type of stress, called eustress, helps us learn new things, adapt to change and engage in creative thinking. Everyone experiences good stress on a daily basis. Another form of good stress is the stress that enables us to survive in times of trauma. This stress makes us aware of danger and enables us to escape when we need to.

Bad Stress: Bad forms of stress do not help us to achieve goals or tasks, but instead actually inhibit our ability to function on a daily basis. Bad stress occurs when too much stress begins to build up around us. Once the body feels that there is too much stress, it will begin to break down, causing symptoms like perspiration, anxiety, headaches and rapid breathing. This kind of stress can take a huge toll on your physical and mental well-being.
        10 Ways to Stay Healthy Under Stress
        1. Reduce caffeine intake. Caffeine can increase levels of stress hormones.
        2. Take along healthy food. Don’t suffer the consequences of missed meals and fast food binges.
        3. Don’t “treat” stress symptoms. Alcohol, sedatives, stimulants, nicotine or other substances will only worsen the stress symptoms in the long run.
        4. Evaluate dietary supplements carefully. Not everyone needs vitamins. Ask your doctor if you would benefit.
        5. Eat breakfast. Even if you’re late for your first meeting, grab a bite to eat. Stress amplifies our need for adequate fuel.
        6. Drink water. It gives you something to do when nervous and might help you resist the urge for caffeine or junk food.
        7. Don’t skimp on sleep. Sleep provides essential rejuvenation time. Make it a priority.
        8. Don’t fall prey to denial.Don’t write off serious psychological or physical symptoms. Detect and diagnose problems early when they are treatable.
        9. Walk somewhere each day. You might not have time for a workout, but you can walk. Just 10-15 minutes can clear your head and improve your mood.
        10. Schedule medical and dental appointments. Regular checkups and screenings are a must. Make appointments in advance and plan your schedule around them.
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

FWIW, I'm reading a book called, "The Accidental Creative" (by Todd Henry).

It's not as all amazing as I hoped but there's some good stuff nonetheless. Like:

Prolific + Brilliant + Healthy = great work produced in a consistent and sustainable way

Prolific + Brilliant - Healthy = Burnout

Brilliant + Healthy - Prolific = Unreliable

Healthy + Prolific - Brilliant = Fired

As you can see, healthy ranks right up there as a dealbreaker.

The source of a lot of stress though is that we 'makers' run in a different time-continuum than the 'meeters'. Their time is organized (and optimized, usually by one or more assistants) and strictly designed to minimize interruption.

Makers, on the other hand -- we're lucky to get through an hour without interruption on any day, and we are usually the ones who have to accommodate the time demands of the meeter universe.

Comment

Prolific + Brilliant - Healthy = Burnout
            this is so me I think. I like the fired line though. teehee.

I've definitely learned that walking helps but it's about finding time to do it, hardest thing. And food, no caffeine, while it took months to notice, has been awesome for me. I'm way less tired everyday.
            I'm still working on food, I just love sugar too much. lol.

Thx guys. Just wanted to see what others said, besides the doctors.

Comment

I walk to and from work and also to the market to buy groceries. I don't listen to music on the way so it's a good time for me to think. I really think it helps me to destress and being the multi-tasker that I am, it also gets me from A to B.

If I have a long day ahead of me, I'll have 3 coffees max. But usually I stick to tea.

Coffee really effects me and I don't need to be THAT awake when I'm stressed.

Make sure you eat regularly too. Just because you are busy, isn't a reason to skip meals. You can't concentrate as well and your work can get sloppy.

Besides, how can you concentrate on layout when all you are thinking of are pies?!

I write a lot of lists too. I like seeing all the stuff that needs to get done and it makes me less stressed knowing that I won't be forgetting anything.

Oh and if you can, say "no" to things that aren't a priority.

I'm leaving town for 3 days and I've warned everyone that I won't be working on their jobs over the next few days. I can check emails, but no actual design work. Some weren't happy with it, but what can you do? I'm worried about it, but it can't be helped by worrying.
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Audentia View Post
                Alright, I know we are all in this crazy high-stress industry.
                As many of you know I've been battling some health issues related directly to anxiety and stress for the last year and a half.

So here's my question... and maybe we can share some tips.
                What do you do when you are stressed out?
                Is there anything you do to try and not panic and just get the work done?
                If you know it's going to be a very long day do you treat it differently?

etc.
                I know you don't know me but... It's only printing. No one is going to die. You can't get that freaked. It's not worth it.
                Long days, you wrap your head around it. Work 14 hours, have a fun lunch and then make sure there's a bottle of wine before bed.
                Darling, I'm assuming you don't own the company.
                You also have to ask yourself, if your work is interfering with your health...

Comment

Absolutely. No one is going to die if this poster design waits until tomorrow. At least I don't work in health...

When people own their own companies, do they say buh-bye to their health?
                  It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
                    I usually take a breather by stepping out of the office for a little bit to clear my head, maybe grab a coffee and a snack to bring back to my desk.
                    I smoke menthol cigarettes standing on the loading dock.

Comment

Originally posted by budafist View Post
                      When people own their own companies, do they say buh-bye to their health?
                      It would be pretty easy to do. I gained weight after I started my business. A few years ago I decided that buying lunch out wasn't helping and started bringing my lunch and walking almost every day. The walking helps keep the stress levels down and gives me some quiet time to think.

When I do get stressed, I try to figure out why. Sometimes it's legitimately too much to do and no time to do it, other times I'm having a crisis of confidence - I'm not smart enough, creative enough or whatever enough. In that case, I try to remember the stuff I've done right and keep things in perspective - in a year, no one is going to care about this.

And when all else fails, I drink beer.

Janet

Comment

Not saying I never get stressed and always use these tactics but a few I use are:

Realize it isn't a life-or-death issue.
                        Close me eyes for tiny bit to flush out the stress, clear my mind.
                        Grab a small snack or green tea.
                        Check out a website that I like to browse for 2-5 minutes (depending on who might be near and see I'm not doing what I should be)
                        Walk around, inside or out to take a pause.
                        Listen to some good music. I know Daft Punk normally gets that "powerful, pumped up feeling" if you just need a boost.
                        Categorize what needs to be done and when to figure out a better plan of attack.

Though the past two weeks were quite stressful to me and I didn't always refer to the list above but tried to grin and bear it.
                        Dribbble Page
                        Behance Portfolio
                        Linkedin Profile

Comment

Gritty, I got rid of the ridiculously stressful job after 5 years and I've been doing MUCH better. But that's mostly cause there is less stress I think. Maybe I'm getting better at dealing with it but I'm not sure.
                          Anyhow, the walking, I'm having trouble fitting this into my schedule but I know I gotta make it happen.
                          The biggest thing I always want to do is turn to candy or chocolate when I'm stressed, now I'm not a big girl, but I'd like to keep it that way. lol.
                          So I might need to go and find some sugar-free (but no aspartame) candies to suck on or something. Or just decide that my lifesaver mints are better than all the other candy. (I feel like maybe it's almost an oral fixation as opposed to the sugar when I'm stressed).

Good music, got that covered for sure! Just have to remember to change it something I love when I'm stressed.

Lists, I too love lists buda. Just have to remember to actually mark things off on them.

thx guys.

Comment

I have lists of my list of lists.

Somewhere.

Comment

maybe you just need a better b/f to stop putting extra undo stress on ya and making you panic all the time lol

One of the most important things is to BREATHE! Slow deep breaths for a minute or two will do wonders to calm you down, and clear your head a bit.

I almost never use the inter-office intercom if I need to talk to one of my sales reps. I will stand up and walk to their office instead. It may just be for a real simple questions "Hey, has so-and-so sent their ad in yet?" but it gets me away from the computer for a couple minutes and gets me moving a bit.

Finding lots of little things like that can make a huge difference, instead of trying to find 2 or 3 big things to help relieve the stress.
                              Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                              | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                              | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X