Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A magazine is just an iPad that doesn't work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXV-yaFmQNk

Did you laugh, or cry?

Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

awh... cry.

But it's also ignorance, if the parent doesn't show the child how to flip the page in a book or magazine then they won't get it.
      And really does everything have to be 'flashy' in order for us to care? I get it babies like shiny and flashy but you know Marie Claire isn't really targeting 1 year olds.

forgive me... I love magazines, it's my passion and my full-time job.
      Even if they eventually come in digital format only, it's still a magazine. With editorial integrity, angles versus news and the ability to give a real opinion, not just report distorted facts.
      I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

What a bunch of bullshit. Having been around a few babies in my day i can say that they all do that. He wasn't trying to make it work he was just poking and grabbing and smearing because that is what babies do... to everything they touch. Notice how they had to repeat some of the footage to make it look like he was doing repetitive motion. One shot he was pulling off one of those perfume sample flaps, he didn't seem to be confused then. If this was meant as a joke it was really lame. If it was supposed to be serious then it was both lame and insulting in that she believes the rest of the world, including her baby is as stupid as she is.

Comment

Kool I don't think it was meant as a joke, the description is

"Technology codes our minds, changes our OS. Apple products have done this extensively. The video shows how magazines are now useless and impossible to understand, for digital natives. It shows real life clip of a 1-year old, growing among touch screens and print. And how the latter becomes irrelevant. Medium is message. Humble tribute to Steve Jobs, by the most important person : a baby."

What an idiot.
          Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

That's OK though, cause I'll likely be dead by the time she's old enough to screw up my drive thru order at McDonalds.
            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Apparently the first person to live to see 150 is already alive.

TA's fun fact of the day
              Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by Kool View Post
                What a bunch of bullshit. Having been around a few babies in my day i can say that they all do that. He wasn't trying to make it work he was just poking and grabbing and smearing because that is what babies do... to everything they touch. Notice how they had to repeat some of the footage to make it look like he was doing repetitive motion. One shot he was pulling off one of those perfume sample flaps, he didn't seem to be confused then. If this was meant as a joke it was really lame. If it was supposed to be serious then it was both lame and insulting in that she believes the rest of the world, including her baby is as stupid as she is.
                This makes me happy
                Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

An ipad can never replace sitting on the floor tearing up the sunday sale papers. I don't know if all babies like to do that but everyone of mine did.

I've tried to think of how the magazine I run would function if it wasn't a magazine - primarily out of fear of the postal service going belly up. Fortunately, a lot of my advertisers and subscribers don't even have email so using an ipad is pretty hopeless. This makes proofing their ads sometimes impossible - talk about making things easy for me! My magazine, a biweekly, is about racing pigeons. I'm pretty certain that it has to remain a magazine for quite some time. Races happen all over planet and there are only a few ways to find out about them - the magazine providing the most circulation. I think niches will have a place in the magazine world for a while. Some people just really aren't into ipads and new technology - to my relief, pigeon racers fall into that group of people.

If they would get their kid a subscription to Highlights then they'd change their minds...or their kids OS, however you wanna look at it. My little girl looks forward to her Highlights arrival every time!
                  You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

A cup is a bottle that doesn't work.
                    Pants are a diaper that doesn't work.
                    A bed is a cradle that is too easy to fall out of.
                    Legs are a stroller that doesn't work.
                    Spoken language is a burble or a scream or a crying fit that doesn't work.
                    Written words are a YouTube video that doesn't work.
                    An honest reaction to such an argument on YouTube is throwing up that doesn't work...so I won't try.
                    People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
                    -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

I agree. Babies touch everything. She was cutest when she was poking her own knee.

Comment

Those parents are certified richard craniums. The kid will eventually discover that books and magazines don't require a battery. Rebellion is on the distant horizon.

Comment

My god. That was about the dumbest fanatical piece of garbage I have ever seen. The guy's probably some polygamist in Utah. "Technology is brainwashing our young people! We must protect them or be damned!"

Jerk.

I am disgusted at some of the effects of technology in the education system, but that was just asinine.
                          I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.
                          -Louisa May Alcott

Comment

Originally posted by Iggee002 View Post
                            My god. That was about the dumbest fanatical piece of garbage I have ever seen. The guy's probably some polygamist in Utah. "Technology is brainwashing our young people! We must protect them or be damned!"

Jerk.

I am disgusted at some of the effects of technology in the education system, but that was just asinine.
                            Actually, if you read the accompanying caption, it seems the video maker was all in favor of their child having been "reprogrammed." Unless it was sarcasm, it can be hard to tell sometimes.

It's a sloppy argument in either direction. Newsflash: Babies like things that light up, make sounds, and react when you touch them! That's deep, man.
                            Last edited by Nobert; 10-14-2011, 04:50 PM.
                            People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
                            -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobert View Post
                              Babies like things that light up, make sounds, and react when you touch them!
                              Sadly, that applies to many adults as well these days. If it doesn't pop, yell, flash and comb their hair for them in under two seconds, they quickly lose interest and move on.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X