X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your Savant?

I know I'm not using the word technically correct but you know what I mean. I'm talking about your weird and sometimes useless talent that allows you to do something really well with no skill or practice.

I am an ETA savant. I can effortlessly come up with an arrival time to any destination no matter how complex the route may be and I'm usually within 5 minutes either way of our actual arrival. I can do it with short trips across town or long trips across country.

Mrs Kool is a boiled egg savant. I'm a decent cook but I can't properly boil an egg to save my life. I've tried many methods including one complicated one that involved split second timing with a quick ice bath in the middle of the boil. Didn't matter the eggs still mostly stuck to the shell. Mrs Kool on the other hand just throws em in a pot and boils them for a indeterminate time. She never sets a timer or even seems to pay any attention to the boil but when her egg boiling savant says take em off she does and they always come out perfect.

What is your Savant?

Well as Garricks has dubbed me .... I am an idiot saFONT

I can't remember where I put my car keys ... but I can remember pretty much any font once I've seen it.

Other than that I store useless trivial information for no apparent reason. I remember pretty much any song I have ever heard and can name the singer or band with in seconds.

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

I'd say mine would have to be the English language. Give me a bit of time and I'll turn your rudimentary sentence into a work of art.

Now... I tend to slur my words (I blame my brain for being too advanced), I swear a cop is going to think I'm drunk one day just because I do that on a regular basis and all my friends call me out on it but written English is definitely a strong point of mine.
      Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

If someone in a house where I live or am visiting is watching a movie or cable T.V. show, I have an uncanny ability to walk through the living room just at the moment when there is female nudity. I don't plan it and can't explain it.

I can also do dead on vocal impersonations of most of the muppets, and my Marge Simpson has been lauded for its accuracy.
        People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
        -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobert View Post
          I have an uncanny ability to walk through the living room just at the moment when there is female nudity. I don't plan it and can't explain it.
          Truly a gift from the Gods.
          Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

What a very cool thread, Kool. I'll have to think this over.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I would love to hear that Nobert

Comment

I'm basically the best ever at estimating what time it is. We're not talking saying 11:30 when it's 11:23 and thinking you nailed it. I can usually get it within a minute or two.
                I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

I always wake up one or at the most, two minutes, before the alarm goes off.

Curses.

But then again, I do have a thing I can do with my finger.

Here... pull....

Comment

Does forgetfulness count? If it's more than three things I need to write a list or I will subsequently forget, at least, one of the more important items...
                    Design is not decoration.

Comment

Hm. I'm good at making rice n beans. And I'm getting better at it. I might have to challenge my father's recipe.

I also have a knack for knowing when a song is being played in a different key than the original. I guess you could call that tonal memory. I don't have perfect pitch (I wish!) but a song played in a different key always sounds odd to me. My ear also twitches if someone's playing an out-of-tune piano or guitar.

I'm also good at being a klutz. I can always find an interesting way to knock something over.

blog/portfolio

Comment

If I have an electric oven, I'm a cheesecake from scratch savant. But I don't currently have an electric oven, so it may not count.

Can I be a sarcasm savant?
                        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I wonder if in twenty years many people would be answering with:

I can look up a name in a telephone book.
                          I can find my way using just a printed map.
                          I can turn a light on and off using a wall switch.
                          I can read an analog clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher View Post
                            I wonder if in twenty years many people would be answering with:

I can look up a name in a telephone book.
                            I can find my way using just a printed map.
                            I can turn a light on and off using a wall switch.
                            I can read an analog clock.
                            I can tie shoelaces!
                            I can fix a cassette tape with a pencil!
                            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

lol ... I just heard on the news they are trying to retire cursive writing lessons ... it's deemed unnecessary in this digital world we now live in.

I can't wait to see all the printed signatures of the future

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X