Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Yehoshua
    Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    I've been exploring more with minimalism, but still trying to keep things logical. This is a 11x17 cover for a recent undergrad project I've been working on. Does it work? Why or why not? The blue wacked...
    Today, 04:22 AM
  • vaprarts
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    vaprarts
    Now i have no real experience working with clients but in my opinion you did what most designers should do. You are being hired as a designer not an artist. Its our job to create work that makes sense....
    Today, 02:58 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zoo Business Card Critique Wanted
    Buda
    I really like the aesthetic.

Will you do more in the series? You could have a different design for different departments.
    Today, 02:44 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Sweden's official national typeface
    Buda
    Cool idea but I'm not convinced that font will work in every situation. Can they remove Comic Sans from all government computers? That would be a nice start.

My mum works for a government...
    Today, 02:43 AM
  • it52
    Reply to Infographics...struggle
    it52
    I do find them a bit boring. I think the layout and graphics themselves are too simple. I think you can definitely try adding some more detail to the graphics and experiment a bit more with your layo...
    Today, 01:19 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How common is drug testing for in-house designer positions?

Just curious what others' experiences have been like

Very common in health care.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I've never heard of it here in NZ, but I guess in healthcare it's a different story.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I've never had a test in over 2 decades.
        http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

How common is drug testing for doctors?

Comment

Two of the last three companies I have worked for have required drug tests.
            "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

My comment is based on my sister (an RN for decades) who's career was almost destroyed when she formally complained against a doctor whom everyone else on staff knew was working while inebriated. The staff was also covering for the doctor's condition by intercepting errors -- many including prescriptions that would have seriously injured or killed patients.

For her whistleblowing, sis was suspended and dragged through about two years of court proceedings while the powerful doctor's association worked diligently at dragging up whatever they could possibly hurl at her to discredit her professionally. This put a tremendous strain on her and her family.

In the end, she prevailed. Got her full back pay, costs -- and the doctor lost practicing licence. (Briefly) Sis is now a nursing manager and has done very well.

I have a brother who works in med research at a big city hospital who's always saying that the worst substance abusers on the whole are doctors.

And yet people still rank doctors as one of the top professions when it comes to trust.

Comment

Broacher, while I can't comment on that directly, I know that everyone in our health-care system is subject to random drug testing at any time, and passing a drug test is a mandatory condition of employment.
                This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by vectorman View Post
                  Just curious what others' experiences have been like
                  I think it depends on the company, not the position. I have worked for 3 banks. 2 required a drug test and credit check, 1 only required a credit check. It did not matter what job you had there.
                  *sings* "I am slowly going crazy 1.2.3.4.5.6. switch. Slowly crazy am I going 6.5.4.3.2.1. switch"

Comment

Definitely depends on the company. I know some that are random and some that don't care as long as it doesn't happen on company property and doesn't interfere with you showing up for work.

Kinda goes hand in hand with how a company feels about you having a facebook page, I think.

Comment

Interesting. In the food service industry, it used to be the norm for any management position that involved handling cash. When I got out of the industry a few years ago, the number of drugs screened for had been dropping, and in many companies the requirement had disappeared completely due to too few applicants being able to pass the screening process...
                      "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin, 1759

The USA will not survive without another revolution. Soon.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                        Definitely depends on the company. I know some that are random and some that don't care as long as it doesn't happen on company property and doesn't interfere with you showing up for work.

Kinda goes hand in hand with how a company feels about you having a facebook page, I think.
                        Yeah, I think so. Of course, I run the Facebook page for the company and its sister company, so naturally whenever I'm on Facebook I'm "working"...
                        http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

2.5 years here and have yet to had to pee in a cup or had blood pulled out of me. But then again, we live in Canada, and we're awesome lol.

I would say it depends on the company.
                          Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by The Artist View Post
                            2.5 years here and have yet to had to pee in a cup or had blood pulled out of me. But then again, we live in Canada, and we're awesome lol.

I would say it depends on the company.
                            They just follow you into the W.C. and grab a pube you left on the seat.

Comment

Originally posted by artistsdad View Post
                              Interesting. In the food service industry, it used to be the norm for any management position that involved handling cash. When I got out of the industry a few years ago, the number of drugs screened for had been dropping, and in many companies the requirement had disappeared completely due to too few applicants being able to pass the screening process...
                              Actually I think it is more about the sharp increase in drug testing lab fees and MRO regulations. Companies are trying to cut spending and not spending thousands on testing fees is a way to stay in business.
                              *sings* "I am slowly going crazy 1.2.3.4.5.6. switch. Slowly crazy am I going 6.5.4.3.2.1. switch"

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X