X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended comedies suck ass

As all the top 25 funny film recommendations are absolutely crap... what is your favourite all time comedy?

I turn to ye merry gentlemen and gentle ladies. As I fear I have missed some of the best comedic opportunities available.

My top comedies don't include Beverly Hill Cops or Ghostbusters or Dr Strangelove or Anchor Man or Animal House. This is Spinal Tap - locked in at a so many no.1's in comedies! Why? It's alright. But I mere snigger at a few jokes.

Duck Soup, there's a classic. The Princess Bride is another cool one. Wayne's World YES. Dumb & Dumber YES. Team America YES.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Hard to go wrong with any of the Marx Bros. (up to A Day at the Races).

Probably my favorite within the last ten years or so is The Monster (Il Mostro) with Roberto Benigni. It has spots where it decidedly drags, but the bright spots are brilliant.
    People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
    -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

The Other Guys shot to the top of my list. There are so many gold one liners in that film.
      "Be realistic, plan for a miracle."

Comment

1) "Excuse me sir, I do believe you have my stapler" :

2) "She's gone from suck to blow!" :
        Design is not decoration.

Comment

Oh yeah! +1 for Office Space
          "Be realistic, plan for a miracle."

Comment

I'm about to show my age here:

Spaceballs --- +1 (Must agree with Keming)
            Princess Bride
            Ghostbusters (But, only number 1. The followups were okay, but not fantastic)
            Animal House (Classic)
            Dr. Strangelove (Classic)
            Stripes
            Wayne's World
            Liar Lair

Dumber and Dumber never even enters my list. I hated that movie, period.
            "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

Really broad stuff, well-written and presented -- like GhostBusters, Young Frankenstein, The Jerk, Life of Brian.

Then there are the 'prime' Three Stooges episode (as good a gender test as anything scientific, I'd wager).

Then there's comedy show collections.

One of the things I've noticed about buying TV comedy show DVDs is that you really become aware of the difference in format timing. A 20 minute show that has to weave its script around 10 minutes of commercial takes on an almost breathless quality when you watch, say, 4 in a row without commercial breaks. My kids got me 'Big Bang Theory' season one for Christmas last year, and I practically had a headache from laughing by the end of the first disk (I should mention that I never seen it on television -- we don't have cable or... the evening time for this stuff usually).

I'm also partial to lighter farces that depend on brilliant scripts and character acting. Eg. might be the 'Jeeves and Wooster' BBC series based on the Wodehouse classics.

In fact, the Brits and Scots seem to shine at this kind of stuff. Another terrifically funny series from the mid 90's was 'Hamish MacBeth' (starring Robert Carlyle).

Some of the lesser know 1980's and up movies from the UK comedy treasurehouse might include: Local Hero, Withnail and I?

Often hard to find a good selection of Brit stuff at the local outlets though.

Comment

How about "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" The scene where Jonathan Winters destroys the gas station basically with his bare hands is comedy gold.

Comment

^ Oh yeah. Or when Phil Silvers gets his convertible stuck in the creek and is yelling at the local kid.

Comment

Grandmas Boy, Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, Revenge of the Nerds, Bill & Teds, Caddyshack (one of my favs) to name a few good ones.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Heh heh, yep. That movie is one awesome scene after another. The final scene where they are all in the hospital and Ethel Merman slips and falls is another great one

Comment

The Princess Bride, Young Frankenstein, Caddyshack, Arsenic and Old Lace, Dodgeball, Shaun of the Dead, Monsters, Inc.
                        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Swingers baby
                          I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

Originally posted by eugenetyson View Post

My top comedies don't include Beverly Hill Cops or Ghostbusters or Dr Strangelove or Anchor Man or Animal House. This is Spinal Tap - locked in at a so many no.1's in comedies! Why? It's alright. But I mere snigger at a few jokes.
                            Dr Strangelove, This is Spinal Tap and Animal House would be in my top 12 or so.

Hell, Dr Strangelove isn't just one of my favorite comedies, it is one of my favorite horror movies, one of my favorite political movies and one of the great sex movies.
                            (Just about every name and situation in that movie compares war to sex.)

Originally posted by eugenetyson View Post
                            Duck Soup, there's a classic. The Princess Bride is another cool one. Wayne's World YES. Dumb & Dumber YES. Team America YES.
                            If you like Duck Soup, then Animal Crackers, Horse Feathers and Monkey Business are just as good. I'm not as keen on the ones they did with MGM, but A Night at the Opera and a Day at the Races are the better ones from their MGM years.

One hard to get old movie, but one of the all-time funniest is WC Field's It's a Gift.

Chaplin's The Great Dictator is fun, too (and if you like that type of thing I recommend the silent comedies The Gold Rush, The Circus and the Kid

If you like shorts, anything by Buster Keaton is great (his feature length the General is awesome)

If you liked Dumb and Dumber, you will love Kingpin.

Some of my favorite comedies:
                            Woody Allen: Love and Death, Bananas, Take the Money and Run, Sleeper, Annie Hall, Play it Again, Sam.

Mel Brooks: The Producers, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, High Anxiety, History of the World, Pt 1

Monty Python's Flying Circus: Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Meaning of Life.

You might have to be American, or know baseball, or had a childhood in the 70s to appreciate the Bad News Bears --the original with Walter Mathau.

You might have to have come of age in the 80s in the USA to appreciate Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Perhaps the same goes for Dazed and Confused (70s really) and Better Off Dead.

Other favorites: Rushmore, Harold and Maude, Being There, Return of the The Pink Panther, The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, the Hudsucker Proxy.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is long but funny as hell.
                            Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

+100 for The Big Lebowski, Fast Times, and Dazed and Confused.

Clearks I & II
                              are also great. Step Brothers was another one in recent times that really made me laugh out loud.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X