X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counting Pixels

I'm a young professional graphic designer working at the corporate office in a restaurant chain. We don't have an art or design department, so I am technically with Marketing. The VP of Marketing is extremely detail oriented (read: anal retentive). She is not my boss; rather, we both report to the same person.

We sell merchandise on our website and this person is working with a third party vendor on that portion of our website. I'm not 100% sure of every conversation she's had with them, but the situation has been presented to me as if they are unable to handle creative direction we provided. I've seen their final product, and while there are slight differences, they can be easily fixed.

She, however, does not seem to trust anything they have presented us with and has asked me to go behind them and literally count their pixels to make sure everything lines up correctly and the spacing is 100% accurate. She has also asked me to provide her with a detailed explanation of each discrepancy and provide exact direction to the third party (ie - 'move this element 4 pixels to the left and 2 pixels down').

What is your opinion on this situation? Have you ever been asked to count pixels for any reason? I fully support the use of a grid and linear accuracy, but I think this is getting obessive. I do not count pixels in my work and have never seen a reason to start. Am I wrong to think her request is a waste of hours of my time?

Welcome to the forum pixelatedpaint. Please read these important threads posted HERE and especially HERE. They will explain a lot about how the forum runs, from the rules and regulations to frequently discussed topics to the background on some of our lingo and inside jokes.

I know it seems much, but there's nothing wrong with checking behind a vendor to make sure they're providing a quality product. I guess the question is, does it look off to the naked eye?
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

"Without a person at (or near) the helm who thoroughly understands the principles and elements of Design, a company eventually runs out of reasons for design decisions. With every new design decision, critics cry foul. Without conviction, doubt creeps in. Instincts fail. “Is this the right move?” When a company is filled with engineers, it turns to engineering to solve problems. Reduce each decision to a simple logic problem. Remove all subjectivity and just look at the data. Data in your favor? Ok, launch it. Data shows negative effects? Back to the drawing board. And that data eventually becomes a crutch for every decision, paralyzing the company and preventing it from making any daring design decisions.

Yes, it’s true that a team at Google couldn’t decide between two blues, so they’re testing 41 shades between each blue to see which one performs better. I had a recent debate over whether a border should be 3, 4 or 5 pixels wide, and was asked to prove my case. I can’t operate in an environment like that. I’ve grown tired of debating such minuscule design decisions. There are more exciting design problems in this world to tackle."

From the March 2009 blog entry of the (now) former Creative Director at Google.

Who is now at Twitter.

Here's the full post:

http://stopdesign.com/archive/2009/0...ye-google.html

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
        Welcome to the forum pixelatedpaint. Please read these important threads posted HERE and especially HERE. They will explain a lot about how the forum runs, from the rules and regulations to frequently discussed topics to the background on some of our lingo and inside jokes.

I know it seems much, but there's nothing wrong with checking behind a vendor to make sure they're providing a quality product. I guess the question is, does it look off to the naked eye?

I agree, however nothing on their web pages seems visibly 'off'. I've noticed two things we can ask them to change, but neither has to do with alignment. My question was more about the way the VP is demanding I literally count the pixels between every element on their page as a means of checking up on them.

I think I pay a good amount of attention to detail, and aside from the 2 things I mentioned, their pages flow seamlessly with our company's website, which is what we intended to do.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X