Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• iyiyi
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    iyiyi
    Why would I get an 8gb imac with a 7" smaller screen for $200 more than I can get a mac mini with 16gb and a 27" screen for?...
    Today, 07:03 PM
  • Cosmo
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    Cosmo
    You can get a 21" iMac for $1099 with 8gb of memory (which is plenty). I would do that and then if you feel like you need more memory down the road, upgrade it. You can get 8gb of memory for under...
    Today, 05:50 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Zoo Business Card Critique Wanted
    <b>
    I like the look, but that isn't the same as saying it's right for the job.

If the card were actually for the Bronx Zoo, you'd need to consider the current branding of the zoo, then make your...
    Today, 05:25 PM
  • Yehoshua
    Personal Logo Suggestions
    Yehoshua
    Developed a personal logo. Suggestions or comments? Thanks!

JK for my initials....
    Today, 05:16 PM
  • Yehoshua
    Reply to Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    That's what I was looking for, thanks man. Do you have any tutorials or guides you could show me that could help me better understand typography and layout? That's probably been my biggest struggle thus...
    Today, 05:13 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatcha Readin'?

My reading habits are a bit sporadic. I go intensely on again/off again, and it's been awhile since I read an actual book.

But tonight I've been going through Wampeters, Foma and Granfalloons by Kurt Vonnegut. I've also been skipping around A History of Lettering by Nicolete Gray, which I should get a move on, because I think it has to go back to the library in the next week or so.

I guess I'm curious as to what graphic designers read because I tend to think of them as the kind of people who might toss aside a book after three pages because they don't like the typeface, or the title page is badly kerned. Also (and I can't emphasize this enough), I'm a bit bored right now. So after this, I'm hitting the books.

Current reading? Favorite books/authors? Has this thread been tried before (I wouldn't be surprised)?
    People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
    -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Because I'm doing covers, when I can I try and read the books that go with them. Some are great, others are horrid (they're all self published). But that's the way of the business- I'll still read books that I love or that are horrid published through the huge publishing houses.

I'm a big reader because I'm a writer as well, it's a huge part of my life.

I'm waiting to get on to some books I bought about book covers though, but fiction I'd like to get back in to some Foundation and Second Foundation.
    "Be realistic, plan for a miracle."

Comment

Currently reading the Steve Jobs biography. If you're really interested in what I read, follow me on goodreads.com.
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Goodreads, yaaaaaaaay!
        "Be realistic, plan for a miracle."

Comment

Moby Dick.

It's pretty awesome.
          Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

I'm reading Don't Dump the Dog by Randy Grim. Got it as a holiday gift last year after we adopted our rescue dog. It was written by the guy that runs the shelter that rescued Maggie. And it's hilarious.

Prior to this I read a canning/preserving cookbook and I have Ellen Dugan's Cottage Witchery up next.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I have such an addiction to books it's unbelievable. I'm about the only person I know who can sit and read text books, REALLY classic novels such as Wuthering Heights, or more modern reads like the Twilight series and be equally entertained.

Every once in a while there will be the ONE. A book I pick up, and I'm almost manic until I finish it. THOSE are my favorites. Books that are well written enough that I completely forget the world around me and enter a different place for a while.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series does that for me. So does Watership Down. And Gone with the Wind. Pride and Prejudice...I could go on and on...
              I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.
              -Louisa May Alcott

Comment

"Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy" by Martin Lindstrom.

I read his first book ('Buyology') and enjoyed a lot of the 'leading edge marketing science' stuff in there (who knew that those all so pricey brain imaging scanners were being used to help marketers?).

This one is much more of the same and seems to catalogue most of the 'invisible hands' that push and nudge our brains into the buying tools that they have become.

Actually, he begins the book describing with a funny description of an experiment where he tried (unsuccessfully) to completely remove himself from branding influences for a month.

I like the anecdotes and torrid details of just how far Big Brander has gone towards in terms of technology and investments to assure we keep faithful -- but he doesn't seem to offer any 'alternative' to this system. Not too surprising, since he's a well-paid marketing guru. But it's this 'well, what are we gonna do, right?' attitude that kind of leaves me sighing. Especially as I consider myself mostly a branding hermit.

Comment

I just finished up "The dark at the end" By F. Paul Wilson. It's the final "Repairman Jack" novel. Then I read the first 100 pages of "End of Days" by Robert Gleason. After he introduced yet another of about 800 characters I bailed. Currently I'm reading "You're Next" by Gregg Hurwitz.

Comment

I'm about half way through Tom Jones right now. It's a long ass book and my version is heavily annotated to boot. I'm finding it surprisingly readable and amusing for something written in the mid 1700s.

My reading is pretty evenly split between science fiction and classics. I tend toward "hard" science fiction (as in they at least try to tie it to theoretical science instead of completely making it up) but I like a lot of the pulpy golden age stuff too.

And speaking of tossing aside a book because you don't like the typeface. I once passed on an otherwise rather nicely made hardback of "Life on the Mississippi" by Mark Twain because the cover was set in Hobo.

I have a bit of a fetish for antique or other well-crafted books. I actually hide some of them from my wife because she can be rough on books and I can't stand to see her abusing them.

"Hey don't you have a copy of.......?"

"No. No I do not. You'll have to check it out from the library."

Comment

I am reading...Official Adobe Print Publishing Guide, Second Edition

I know...Exciting stuff. But...I'm in my Design and Technology class. So.... I have this book and a book called Idea Index to be read soon.
                      "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

Originally posted by darkwolf29a View Post
                        I am reading...Official Adobe Print Publishing Guide, Second Edition

I know...Exciting stuff. But...I'm in my Design and Technology class. So.... I have this book and a book called Idea Index to be read soon.

thats ok
                        im reading Adobe 'dreamweaver cs5" digital classroom
                        in web design class right now.. i guess im not really reading..just ignoring my professor and posting on the internets

Comment

I bounce all over the board with what I read. Generally tho, I like horror. But I do read a fair number of classics, mystery and music bio's. Currently, I'm reading The King of Plagues by Jonathan Mayberry.

My last few reads have been:
                          Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
                          Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
                          The Dome by Stephen King

Some of my all time favourite books are:
                          1984 and Animal Farm by Orwell
                          The Shining by King
                          Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis
                          Prey by Michael Crichton
                          Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                          | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                          | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

How did you like The Dome?
                            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Wasn't bad....tho it kinda seemed like he didn't really know how to end it, so he picked a really cheesy cop-out. Character development was pretty decent, and it carried itself well, but yea...the end was a bit lacking, and felt kinda cheap.
                              Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                              | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                              | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X