Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Created Logo in PS, question about file
    KitchWitch
    Hi Chromez and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 02:17 AM
  • Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Thank you for your answer PrintDriver. Seems like I was misinformed. I'll probably have to buy another printer that can print on thicker card stock then. Do you have any suggestions as to what printer...
    Yesterday, 11:30 PM
  • zablockit
    Reply to Please critique my new game design
    zablockit

Ok, skeuomorphic looks awesome!

What do you think now?

What would you improve?...
    Yesterday, 09:11 PM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Font Management
    lowfatgraphics
    Thanks.

I was testing the Font Suitcase and seems to be screwing with my Chrome bowsers...after some googling--looks like its a known issue. FEX it is then.

Thanks Garricks....
    Yesterday, 08:29 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on RIP: The Necrology Thread
    <b>
    As just a listener of music, his work with Cream, along with Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker, have been among my most favorite pieces of music since I was just a kid. Somehow it always manages to surprise...
    Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thankfulness (Is that a word?)

So, I've been here long enough now that I'm sure everyone knows how much I despise my employer. I work for the clients from hell exclusively, every day.

I cannot be the only one who has these thoughts about their job.

I also get stuck in ruts where I only seem to mention the bad stuff. The things that make my head want to pop off. And I get tired of it. It makes me forget to appreciate the good stuff in life, and the good things that go along with what I do for a living, and even the people I work for.

One of my favorite songs about ^^^ is Monty Python's version of Always Look on the Bright Side. It reminds me to be thankful for what I have, instead of focusing on what I don't.

I know there is a thread for things that make us forget we have a chain, but in honor of Thanksgiving, I wanted to make a thread devoted to the more subtle things in life that get lost in the shuffle, but would really be missed if lost for some reason.

Here are my top 3:

1) Ironically enough, I am starting off with my job. The pains in the ass gave me a chance where I was really struggling to find work so early out of school. And because of the hoops I jump through every day, I am a more diverse designer.

2) My house. It's really old, and has a lot of things wrong with it, and sometimes (last night) I seriously think a monkey built it. But it's solid, and in on a beautiful piece of land. I am more fortunate than a lot of people with my small home.

3) My kids. Both step and Bio. I won't say they are my life because they drive me freaking NUTS, but I'd be lost without them at the same time.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”
    -Louisa May Alcott

What a cool idea for a thread.
    I'm always fairly negative too and it has been a really bad 3 weeks...

But I am definitely thankful for
    A job I can go to everyday
    A nice roof over my head
    And the fact that I'm 50 and can still enjoy 99.9% of the things I enjoy doing.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
      And the fact that I'm 50 and can still enjoy 99.9% of the things I enjoy doing.
      I'm looking forward to 50 as being the time when I can BEGIN doing the things I enjoy doing HA!

All my time and money away from this place is devoted to kids, and I look forward to the days when I can do my own thing (like buy myself new shoes or a purse...or take a long bath) without guilt or interruption.
      “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”
      -Louisa May Alcott

Comment

Though I know I should be making WAY more money, I'm thankful that I have a job.

Though I'm tired of renting and really want to buy a house and not have noisy neighbors above me, I'm glad I have a place to live.

Though my husband's an immature nutjob, I'm thankful to be sharing my life with someone I love whom I know loves me.

Though I'm a bit overweight and have stupidly sensitive skin, I'm thankful that I'm in relatively good health.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I'm thankful for Mallomar season.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Great idea for a thread!

I'm thankful for

• having a good job that pays me enough

• a nice bungalow that's just big enough

• family and neighbors that are truly awesome

• the wonderful folks here at GDF. I love this community.
            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

• I am grateful for a job that I enjoy,
              • Friends who have accepted me with all my personality quirks,
              • GDF for the same as the above,
              • My God in heaven,
              • And those who are just Amazingly Awesome!
              “As the saying goes, type is a beautiful group of letters, not a group of beautiful letters.”
              — Matthew Carter

Comment

There are so many things I am thankful for - I too get caught up in the negative sometimes and have to make myself realize all that I DO have vs all that I DON'T

I have lousy legs that hurt and cause me grief - I can't go for those long walks on the beach or run a marathon ..... but after going through what I went through last year I'll take it. I'm alive!

I don't have much money .... but I am rich beyond my dreams in so many other ways.

I am surrounded by family and friends who love me for exactly who I am.

I've been blessed to meet someone who is so sweet and kind and is a little bit crazy... just like me.

I have a roof over my head, food in my belly and usually have a couple bucks in my pocket.

Life is good

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Originally posted by Red Kittie Kat View Post
                  usually have a couple bucks in my pocket.

I'm thankful that I don't have that problem.

Also, thankful I have access to: food, TV, Computer, sexual intercourse, money when I need it. The usual stuff, and a pretty awesome job.
                  "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

This is a great idea for a thread. I try to focus on what's good in my life, but its hard sometimes....

I'm thankful for my wonderful son, boyfriend, family.
                    I'm thankful I have a job
                    I'm thankful I own a home I can afford the mortgage payments on
                    I'm thankful I like my job and the people I work with
                    I'm thankful every day for waking up and being able to see the sky and smell the air.
                    “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

oooo yes a wonderful idea!

Even though my family drives me nuts, I am thankful they are still here and love me for who I am and support me and everything I do.

My husband is a wonderful man, he provides me (since I still don't have a job). While he doesn't always trust me right out the bat, he knows I know what I'm doing and leaves a lot of life's tasks to me, and of course they work out in the end

My friends, as much as they make fun of me, I know they love me. I am grateful that I can be myself around them with out being (too) embarrassed.

My pets. I am very fortunate to have 2 kitties and a playful doggie. As much as the day-to-day activities of taking care of them tends to get old after a while, they remind me every day with those "I love you mommy" eyes and loving nudges.

I am grateful that I have a roof over my head, as much as my landlord is a d**k, at least I don't have to live with my parents or on the street. And that we are able to buy a house in the next few months.

And last but not lest, I am grateful for you guys! Not many people understand 'us' and it's rare that I get to vent about stuff and people always understand me
                      Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing.
                      - Randy K. Milholland

Comment

Thankful for the following in no particular order:

Walking and breathing. If you have that, you're doing pretty damn good

For family and friends. As much as they can be annoying they can also be there when you need to smile.

A job. Sometimes overly stressful but it means I can live with material things that I don't need but want.

Patience when I need it. I like to grin and bear it and at times remind myself in a matter of life and death, most things won't matter as much as you make them out to be.

And this goofy place to make all the vents, be it in frustration or in joy worth it on some level.
                        Dribbble Page
                        Behance Portfolio
                        Linkedin Profile

Comment

even though the 'real' thanksgiving has already passed... I can chime in.

I'm thankful for
                          1) Bladez, he is the most patient, considerate and compassionate partner anyone could ever ask for. I don't know what I would do without him. I couldn't ask for a better partner (well maybe one that didn't act like a 5-yr-old most of the time and look 15 would be nice too, but hey I can't get it all, lol.)

2) To be alive. It has felt touch and go in the last couple of years at times and it seemed like it wouldn't end, but it's gotten better. So also thankful that , if it's truly the bottom, the only way to go is up.

3) Pharmaceutical companies. Go ahead and laugh. But the 7 medications I currently take have been the 'concoction' that I needed in order to function, have a job, and eat. Nevermind enjoy myself, give back to Bladez (yep just like you're thinking, dirty people), and truly appreciate the great things around me.

4) For creativity, in all it's forms. Paintings, designs, books, crafts, stitching, sculpture etc. It brings a bit of light into the world, and allows to reflect and remember that we live in a crazy, frantic yet gorgeous world.
                          Last edited by Audentia; 11-18-2011, 10:12 PM.
                          I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Really digging this thread!

Thanks from Australia...

1. For my body which can handle anything.
                            2. For working in a field that I love and that challenges me.
                            3. For my boyfriend who makes me laugh harder than anyone else, and lets me be myself through and through, and my cat Grey who gives the best cuddles.
                            4. For the love, and life, and joy in my life every day!
                            5. For finding this awesome forum and watching your dorks talk dirty all the time
                            "Be realistic, plan for a miracle."

Comment

I saw this thread earlier today, and wanted to contribute, but I had to do a bit of thinking.

I hate my day job (for those who don't know, I hold a day job and do graphic design "odd jobs"). I am thankful that I have a job. It is better than nothing.

I am thankful that I have chosen a lifestyle that allows me to hold a day job and still do things that mean something to me in my off time. I'm thankful that I have made the choices in my life that I have. I haven't got all of this down perfectly, but I'm working on it, and I'm thankful that I have never believed that "I must have this or that," just because it is what other people want.

I'm thankful for the fact that my parents instilled the values in me that led to the above. And for the family I come from in general.

I'm thankful that, a few years ago, I was able to establish a network of friends who, amazingly enough, had the same interests I do in culture and music from the first half of the 20th century.

I'm thankful that I live in an old apartment that leaks heat and has wonky plumbing, but also hardwood floors, period fixtures, a clawfoot tub and a chandelier, for relatively cheap.

I'm thankful for the intellectual, artistic and musical talents that run in my family and to which I am, to some degree, a recipient. I'm thankful that I know how to draw, and how to play the ukulele and accordion, and to write passably well. All these things give my life a sense of fulfillment.

I'm thankful that I am no longer at the emotional nadir that I was about a year and a half ago. Also thankful for Maine Med's outpatient psychiatry department, and the Free Care program.

And, I'm thankful that there is this bizarre network of people who have never met me in person, but seem to think I'm worth the time of day to have internet exchanges with on this here forum.
                              People will believe anything, which means I will believe anything…I want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
                              -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X