Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• DanCMU
    Reply to My logo attempt (be brutally honest)
    DanCMU
    Thanks, much appreciated encouragement there.

‹Somebody else just told me the same thing about the 'e'. Maybe I should try and make this more obvious. It might be the case that the speech...
    Today, 09:01 AM
  • jessica21
    Reply to Steampunk Tea Brand Logo Critique- Trying to choose final concept
    jessica21
    seamas: I appreciate the suggestions on where to look for more influence. A challenge I keep running into is finding a typeface that is professional and clear for a logo, but still has a steampunk look....
    Today, 05:53 AM
  • CataclysmX
    Reply to My logo attempt (be brutally honest)
    CataclysmX
    I really like this new concept, it definitely speaks "messenger" to me. At first I didn't know how to feel about the backwards e but realized it looks good because it's like they are facing...
    Today, 04:16 AM
  • CataclysmX
    Reply to Steampunk Tea Brand Logo Critique- Trying to choose final concept
    CataclysmX
    I would say J2 is working the best so far, I like that logo. I would just try and find a matching typeface that goes with it, or maybe even the same font, for using on the name below the emblem/pictoral...
    Today, 04:09 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Freelance Opportunities as a stu
    Buda
    I would tread carefully.

No one here is going to be actively encouraging a student to freelance. It's usually education first, internship, a few years of full time design work before freelancing....
    Today, 04:04 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music we can/can't listen to anymore...

This is a bit of an odd topic, but I remember seeing it on some blog a while ago.

We all (I'm assuming) have those songs or bands that we can't listen to anymore. They're associated with memories. Whether it's because it was an ex's favorite song, a late friend's favorite band, or maybe that song was playing when you heard some bad news.

And ending on the happier side, we all have songs or bands that we associate with happy memories. Maybe it's you and your other half's "song", or perhaps this song just reminds you of a really happy time.

I guess I'll go first.

I can't listen to a lot of the Beatle's love songs. At least not without thinking about a particular (ex)somebody who had an infatuation with them.

As far as songs that make me happy, I can listen to anything by Frank Sinatra since it brings back good memories. My late grandfather enjoyed him, and even though I'd expect his songs to bring me down, they do the opposite.

Whatta'bout you guys? Care to share?

I cannot listen to sad movies ost. My mood changed easily after hearing a music, so if i listen to a sad song, i will feel down. That's why i always try to avoid it.

Beatle's song always remind me of my father, so it feels very nostalgic to listen to them.

Comment

I love Coldplay but their song Yellow - which is beautiful- was ruined for me by an ex.
      "Be realistic, plan for a miracle."

Comment

Oy ... so many songs tug at my heart strings .... so many I don't listen to often due to past meanings.

I don't think there is any I won't ever listen to again ... I just don't listen to them very much.

I'd wait for life - Take That
        Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
        You're Still You - Josh Groban

There are a few that still kill me ... but I do love them for so many reasons .. I refuse to let the past ruin them for me

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Most times I just take the good with the bad when it comes to music. It's one of the unavoidable things in life.
          However...
          There is one Christmas song I always shut off.
          The Christmas Shoes
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a_Y1wAJ2MU

Comment

I turn off most Christmas music, especially the newer stuff. One radio station here switched to all-Xmas on November 1.
            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I'm a sucker for old Bing Christmas music. The old old classics are great. This newer stuff meh.

Comment

Exactly. But I'm getting fed up with the old stuff being recycled in advertising.
                This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Don't get me started on Christmas music ... I'm a total sap when it comes to that. So many songs I try not to listen to publicly because I always end up teared up

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Christmas music, I agree some of the new stuff is Music of Ipecac. Christmas seems to bring out the glorpiest of American sentiment. The older stuff, that's different, whether it's traditional carols or Nat King Cole singing The Christmas Song. O Holy Night, I'm not a Christian, but when that song gets to the "Fall on your knees" part, I'm pretty much going, "okay."

I don't think, at this point, that I have any music that I can't listen to because of unhappy memories. To test this I relistened to Everything is Free by Gillian Welch, which my ex introduced me to. She had very personal associations with the song from the time in her life she fell in with a bad crowd whose lives were devoted to trying to get everything for free (the song is actually about Napster and free music downloads. If you don't know this one it's basically a music version of everything ever said on this forum about not doing spec work and being financially underappreciated). Even though I always think of that when I hear the song, I can still listen to it.
                    People will believe anything, which means I will believe anything…I want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
                    -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Dave Berry did a wicked little book years ago titled, "Dave Berry's Book of Bad Songs". It's filled with hilarious revelations on the utter banality and musical shallowness of so much of what was once called pop music.

He's probably due for a rewrite.

Here's a question about this question though -- how many songs from your youth, that were considered almost 'generational anthems' at the time, do you have a real cringe at now that they've been completely sold out to commercial branding purposes?

What really gets me about these kind of songs is how they've been appropriated so seamlessly by the very establishment that many of the songs lyrics protest about. (And with just a few key lyrical tweaks... it's all good!)

And since this started happening about 15 years ago, it seems that the time between pop hit and commercial licensing hit is now measured in weeks, not years.

Brandtastic world we live in.

Comment

they've been appropriated so seamlessly by the very establishment that many of the songs lyrics protest about.
                        That's cuz the 20-something kids in the branding departments don't actually know the lyrics or the history of the song. It just came up in a google search of their project-at-hand's key talk points and seemed like a good idea.
                        (Actually, that's probably more true than I want it to be...)

I don't watch enough TV to have noticed but every once in a while something obnoxious comes on during a football game. And all I can think is, "well, only 15 (or whatever) more weeks of that horrible commercial."

Comment

It's been going on a lot longer than 15 years. Most of the generation-defining songs on The Big Chill soundtrack I first learned as commercial jingles. Which has given me a lifelong aversion to Motown hits.
                          People will believe anything, which means I will believe anything…I want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
                          -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                            I don't watch enough TV to have noticed but every once in a while something obnoxious comes on during a football game. And all I can think is, "well, only 15 (or whatever) more weeks of that horrible commercial."
                            There's one that makes me dive for the mute button...the NFL co-opted "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" and rewrote the lyrics to fit the opening of footsball season. *******s.

Comment

Oh, here's one I had blocked from my memory. The Kohl's Black Friday ad uses Rebecca Black's "Friday" song... http://youtu.be/vGiQzPi0f_E

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X