Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    <b>
    I agree, the Canoscan is a good scanner -- especially for the price. I've bought a couple of Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanners for work, and would do so again if they're still made. They've been very...
    Today, 03:54 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    PanToshi
    Adding my vote for keeping it.
    Today, 03:31 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Glad to Be Here Now!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Tess

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:44 AM
  • PanToshi
    Comment on Where do you find talent?
    PanToshi
    Yep, like I said, freelancers who are hoping to work full-time for the company for which they are occasionally freelancing are unemployed designers who are freelancing until they find full-time work.
    Today, 02:40 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Comment on Where do you find talent?
    MichaelWied
    The "freelancers" are basically there to be called in if a big project comes up and they need the extra hand, and these are designers hoping to get a full time spot at the company.
    Today, 01:51 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very unusual 12-cylinder gas engine

I'm not in any way what you would call a motor-head, but this is one freakin' beautiful little engine:

http://www.youtube.com/user/yesuswil.../0/3YfTtGCsiD8

No way....that's awesome!!

Unreal machining and craftsmanship too. Looks like something my dad would do! I'll have to send this to him.
    Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
    | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

Mesmerizing to watch running too, isn't it? I mean, if I had that on the top of my desk, I think I could just sit there and watch it until I keeled over from the exhaust fumes.

(I wonder what the output is HP is?)

Comment

Oh the...
        Cylindros connected to the
        pistones, the pistones connected to the
        culates, the culates connected to the
        varillas de balancines, the varillas de balancines connected to the
        colectores de admision...

Now heed the workin's of the machinist.
        People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
        -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

That was really cool. I'm surprised it didn't need any gaskets. I guess metal to metal will seal in something that small. Now all he needs to do is build a tiny Jaguar to put it in

Comment

Amazing. I have only worked with engines big enough that I could physically fit inside the intake manifold.

Even if I had the skill there is no way I'd have the patience to see something like that through!

Comment

Certainly more impressive than building a birdhouse. Wow!

I don't know much about motors and maybe I missed something, but I'm wondering what kind of fuel he's using. I'm also wondering how the fuel is ignited. I didn't notice any electrical system or spark plugs.

Comment

Now that is a mock-up!
                "Geometry can produce legible letter but art alone makes them beautiful. Art begins where geometry ends, and imparts to letters a character trascending mere measurement."

Comment

Originally posted by <b> View Post
                  Certainly more impressive than building a birdhouse. Wow!

I don't know much about motors and maybe I missed something, but I'm wondering what kind of fuel he's using. I'm also wondering how the fuel is ignited. I didn't notice any electrical system or spark plugs.
                  I'm going to assume diesel *LOL* (Diesel systems don't have spark plugs either, they combust due to compression)

Or...y'know...maybe he's just running it on a flow-through air system. sadly, no exhaust fumes that way.
                  Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                  | Karl Marx |

| Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

Originally posted by Bladez View Post
                    I'm going to assume diesel *LOL* (Diesel systems don't have spark plugs either, they combust due to compression)

Or...y'know...maybe he's just running it on a flow-through air system. sadly, no exhaust fumes that way.
                    I doubt the tiny block, cylinders, pistons and connecting rods are strong enough to handle the pressure necessary to ignite diesel. Even if it were possible, there'd need to be a power source to crank it over a few times to start the ignition cycle.

I'm wondering if it's just a toy, not a real internal combustion engine. I could easily be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's just running compressed air through it to make all the parts move.

Comment

http://conleyprecision.com/

They make 1/4 scale engines that really function.
                      http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by <b> View Post
                        I'm wondering if it's just a toy, not a real internal combustion engine. I could easily be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's just running compressed air through it to make all the parts move.
                        I'd put money on compressed air or something similar.
                        | Karl Marx |

| Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

I ran the video description through a Spanish to English converter:

Engine V-12 naval injection of compressed air constructed by hand handmade.Perhaps the smaller engine in the world of this modality.It has 12 cm3 cylinder capacity, the diameter of the cylinders is 11.3 mm and the race of the piston is 10 mm.Works with so only 0.1 Kg / cm2.It is built with stainless steel, aluminium and bronze.Patella dedicated this engine to 4 grandchildren mayor:Sara, Carmen, Jose and motor Pablo.Este is intended for education, exhibitions etc. that runs on compressed air, not to pollute.Level design and the construction of the engine the made patella, like all pieces (except the screws).Finally I want to say to everyone that the engine is not for sale.Many thanks to everyone for the comments.

So compressed air it is! (Still purty, I still want one!)

Comment

Here's one running on actual fuel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY4vdtSXBbY
                            http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X