X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officially Licensed GDF Video Games Thread™

I love video games. Always have, and probably always will.

Not just for the kickass fun they provide, whether its blowing away hordes of undead aliens in Serious Sam, or plotting the invasion of Rome in Civilization 5. Not just for the often excellent writing and plot that many of them have. But also because they demonstrate amazing design, in terms of art direction, sound and music, usability and experience.

I think, over the years, they've taught me a lot about what good design means and how it all comes together. Its great being able to see them evolve from their primitive beginnings into the wonders they are today.

So, what games are you playing right now? After the recent Steam Sale, I bought about 10 or so. The one I'm really enjoying at the moment is SimCity 4. An oldie to be sure, and I've played it before, but I'd forgotten how enjoyable it is. And the soundtrack is amazing.

Another good one is Serious Sam HD. Best shooter action around.

Me thinks this thread shall be merged...

Check this one out Paj - Thread

We take more than just Xbox though.
    Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

Hah! I figured there would already be a thread for this, but a search turned up nuttin'

Comment

Yeah, but in that other thread you guys are always talking about the newfangled games with your "online" thingamajigs. Whatever that is.

Comment

The game I just finished playing was Elder scrolls 5, the game I'm waiting for is Bioshock 3.
          "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

You talking about Skyrim, Obs?

And yes, Bioshock looks legit.

BF3 FTW!
            Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian86 View Post
              The game I just finished playing was Elder scrolls 5, the game I'm waiting for is Bioshock 3.
              how can you finish skyrim? i'm like 30 hours in and it's still blowing my mind how much crap there is to do.

Comment

Well, I finished the mages, theif, bard, dragon, imperial/stormcloak war, (level 50), dark brotherhood, and companion quests, not to mention all the random side quests you get. I also created daedric armor/weapons and maxed out marksmanship and upgraded my armor to 3 times passed legendary. Which makes any fights you encounter pretty easy.

I really hope the expansions are large when they're released.
                "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

bioshock 3? that is exciting.
                  Bladez loves that game, and I really like to watch it. It's got kickass graphics and music. Love that steampunk look. (even if the little girls look like they are going to eat me)
                  I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

I just ran through Bioshock again last week, That might be my favorite game of this generation. I restarted Bioshock 2 ... but was distracted by the multiplayer.
                    Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                    http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just bought Bioshock 2 & Fallout: New Vegas used. Getting through Fallout before I move on to Bioshock. I really like the first one though
                      I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

Got a beta key for Path of Exile (Diablo 2 clone, but a-la ONLINE). It's actually pretty good. Missing in parts but healthy.

Also trying my best at playing Skyrim but it's so broken it enrages me.

Comment

i just picked up 3 new games for $80 on monday, yeaaaa cyber monday! BF3 $30, NFS: Run $30, Crysis 2 $20. EA had all their games %50 off

i'm still hooked on MW3 but couldn't pass up BF3 for that cheap.

i got really bored with Bioshock 2 and stopped playing about halfway through. the graphics were cool but it got repetitive going back and forth in the same area.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

I kinda want to get Skyrim but I don't know if I will enjoy it or not.
                            I played Fallout 3 but was not impressed.

Could be the environment - I just found it unnecessarily vast, especially in a boring looking wasteland. I ran through the main story but was completely uninterested in finding the extra stuff.

Early on in the game I had to run like 8m on foot to get to the objective ... then a sniper killed me. Run 8 mins again ... got blown up by a landmine.
                            Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                            http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Once upon a time I played video games a lot. It shows how far out of touch I am now though...I have no idea what any of you are talking about! HA
                              “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”
                              -Louisa May Alcott

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X