X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GDF Holiday Thread 2011

How do you celebrate? What are you doing this year? Are you traveling or staying home? How do you decorate?

In other words ... whether you celebrate Kwanzaa, Hanukkah or Christmas - what's cookin'??

Here are a few shots of our house this year. I haven't gotten any shots from outside yet. They just aren't coming out for the life of me lol .... I need to find my tripod

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

that's a gorgeous tree rkk

Comment

Thanks Vector xx

Comment

Uber jealous, Kat.

NZ doesn't really get into the full spirit. I was lucky enough to witness a white Christmas in Seattle last year. This year we have to put up with stinking heat while being mindful of the fact we have no ozone layer in this part of the world.

Me and my partner will be spending Christmas with my folks either at their farm which is about 45mins south from here or at my grandmothers place which is in town.

Either way, it's going to be a little rough. Grandfather passed away a couple of months ago and he always played the role of Santa. So I have picked up the reigns and got an LED flashing Santa hat.

Comment

Originally posted by jld View Post
          Uber jealous, Kat.

Either way, it's going to be a little rough. Grandfather passed away a couple of months ago and he always played the role of Santa. So I have picked up the reigns and got an LED flashing Santa hat.

Pretty cool to have that honor!

I have no clue what the xmas plans are as of yet. I think my sister did not want to spend it with the family, but her husband does! lol

I haven't gotten the decorations out yet. But will this weekend I think.

Comment

Beautiful Decor RKK!!

I haven't begun to decorate yet. I'm waiting for the moment when all heathens and Husband are elsewhere and I have the house to myself. Possibly Saturday, but Idk. Might wait till we get the tree, which my husband and I do alone, and his kids are home this weekend.

Before anyone says or thinks it...I know, we should include the kids in the Christmas tree hunt, but all that happens is every kid picks a different tree. Then they fight over it. Then at least two of them make life miserable until we send them back to their mother's because their pissed off. Can't please anyone no matter what we do, so hubby and I just go alone now.

All my shopping is about done though
            “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”
            -Louisa May Alcott

Comment

Thanks gang

Jld - I'm sorry about your Grampa ((((Hugs)))) I think it's nice though that you are stepping in ♥

Tea - that is funny that it's the in-law who wants to be with the family

Iggee - believe me I understand. Good luck with the tree hunt

Comment

I'm staying in town, celebrating with family. We do a traditional Chinese take out dinner on Yule, then Christmas dinner on the 25th. My brother-in-law wants to cook up a Mediterranean feast... so we can eat the same things Jesus would have... so I'll be making a sammich first.

My husband and I don't do much in the way of decor. We have a very small house and very nibbly pets. I hate it when they poop tinsel, so we don't bother.
                Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
                  I hate it when they poop tinsel, so we don't bother.
                  Aww...that's my favorite part! I think it's hilarious watching them do the boot scoot across the floor, LOL!

Or at least it used to be before I had to clean the rugs

BTW, I LOVE your avatar!
                  “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”
                  -Louisa May Alcott

Comment

Yeah, it's the cleaning-it-up part that ruins Christmas for me. My husband would watch the dog run around in circles for days trying to catch a piece of tinsel hanging out of her butt. I'm the one that has to go get it. No thank you, Santa.
                    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

absolutely beautiful xmas decor, Kittie!
                      My bf is jewish and we're, well, nothing....(I guess I'm an ex catholic since that's what my parents are. I've raised my son to understand all religions, but he is pretty ambiguous about it all) Anyhoo, we do celebrate Hanukkah, but we do xmas also. Not much as far as decorations, not much $ or time for that, but we always go to an xmas tree farm not far from us and get a live tree. Most of our decorations for the tree are handmade and/or have been in the family for years. Its warm here, so its sometimes tough getting in the spirit.
                      “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

Lovely RKK.
                        jld, good on you for stepping up into the role of Santa. We also also my grandfather just over a year ago it's tough at holidays but c'est la vie.

I used to love holidays... and then I started living with Bladez and encountering family drama. I hate trying to organize where we will be when between kid custody, family visiting only for a few days and never knowing when the plan will be revised I find it uber-stressful and have really lost the spirit it seems.

As I didn't even bother decorating too much for my favourite holiday (Halloween) I'm not sure I see me putting out the Christmas stuff.
                        While we celebrate Christmas with our families as that is tradition, I do not actually "celebrate" Christmas as a religious holiday. I honour Winter Solstice (Yule) on Dec 21 instead.
                        (though Bladez still hasn't agreed to do presents that early any year, I'm working on it).
                        I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Thanks to my new neighbors across the street, I'm thinking that my kids might start questioning the reality of Santa Claus at an earlier than average age. They can only watch Mr. and Mrs. Claus climb into a Toyota every morning for so many times before they start wondering.

He's one of the best Santas around though. Real white hair and beard. Just jolly enough not to need to pad his suit.

Comment

Can't wait for the holidays

I took some sporadic holiday days off too so I have a bunch of really short weeks coming up! And then the company xmas party! Mouhahah
                            Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

Just remembered this story and had to share.

Before my father passed away we always went out to dinner a few days before Christmas. My father was mostly bald with a full beard a moustache - totally white. He also wore wire-rimmed glasses. One year we went to a Greek restaurant and dad happened to be wearing a red sweater. I'm sure you can see where this is going already, but we didn't make the connection. So we're eating dinner and there's a huge table to our right, full of people. Toward the end of the table is a young girl, maybe 6 or 7 years old, and she's staring at my dad. I mean really staring. We actually thought she was autistic or mildly retarted from the vacant stare he got for the entirety of their meal.

Once that family was done they all left, but one woman came back. She approached my dad and apologized for her daughter's staring, but her daughter was convinced my dad was Santa. My dad thought it was great and offered to talk to the girl and asked what she wanted for Christmas. Her mom said she was dying for a Barbie Dream House, then went to get her.

The girl was terribly shy and mostly hid behind her mother's leg while dad tried to talk to her. Dad has a limited amount of patience, so I was hoping we could wrap it up before her silence broke his politeness barrier. He finally said, "You know I'm not sure what to bring you if you can't tell me what you want. But, to me, you look like a Barbie Dream House kind of girl."

You could have knocked that kid over with a feather. Her jaw dropped open and she looked at her mom like 'Did you HEAR THAT?' She ran up and gave dad a quick hug and bolted out of there. I think that was my dad's best gift that year, for both of them.
                              Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X