Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What time to do you get up? Do you have breaks?

Since I run my business from home I used to go to bed when I was tired and wake up when I was rested, which meant I'd usually go to bed at 1am and get up about 10 or 11am.

This week I've trialled setting my alarm and getting up at 7am, and lo and behold I feel more productive! Why? I couldn't say. Maybe because by the time the sun is setting I'm not in the middle of my day and I feel like I can wrap up like a normal worker. I actually get an 'end of the day' because I consider 6pm a good wrap up time.

So I'm interested on other people's situations- especially if you run your own business. When do you wake up, do you give yourself allocated breaks? Do you end up working all day or have a cut off time?
    "Be realistic, plan for a miracle."

I work in an office building, but we are allowed flexible hours. I work 7:30 am - 4 pm. Even in the winter that allows me to drive home while the sun is still up (I have terrible night vision and loathe driving in the dark). It also allows me to miss traffic going both ways.

Here's the fun/lazy part - my alarm starts going off around 5:00 am. I finally hear it around 6:00 am and start smacking the snooze. On a good day I'm out of bed by 6:30 and out the door between 7 and 7:15 am. I'm so lazy. If my husband ever murders me, it'll be because of that snooze button. Oh - and I set the time on my bedroom clock ahead twenty minutes to trick myself. So when I roll out of bed at 6:30 am, by the time I get to the kitchen it's really 6:10 am. Ta da.

I don't have defined breaks at work, but I do go out to smoke every hour or so (maybe 5 minutes) and take 30 minutes for lunch. As long as my work gets done, no one nit picks how I spend my time.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Alarm goes off at 6.00 or 6.15 if I hit snooze. Walk the doggy. Feed the doggy. Go to work at 7.45. Get to work at 8.45. Have coffee. Work. Work. Forum. Forum. Forum. Forum. Work. Lunch. Forum. Forum. Forum. Forum. Work. Work. Forum. Forum. Work. Forum. Go home at 17.30. Get home at 18.15. Have din dins. Go to club. Train from 7 - 10. Go home. Sleep. Rinse and Repeat.

Actually you're more productive depending on your chronotype. It's a very interesting subject.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

My alarm goes off at 6, and I usually get up about 6:30 to 6:45. I get to work around 8, unless I have something to do, then I'll get in a little earlier.

Between printing, ripping, waiting for large files to load there's quite a bit of waiting involved in my work. Usually more than enough time for me to take small breaks. I also take about 30-45 minutes for lunch. Unless its a busy day, then I'll eat something while working.
        "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

im out of bed by 6:15 and out the door around 7:15. i usually can't sleep past 7 on the weekends 1. because of the dog 2. im accustomed to waking up early and just can't sleep late anymore.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Alarm set to 6, which I shut off every morning when I wake up at 5:30. Then I shower, get the hop on the paper, set the table, maybe start some breakfast things, and wake up everyone else at 6. (Having one bathroom in the house helps us keep this schedule.)

Commuting departure is usually 7:30 (with local stops for high school band practices, etc.).

Comment

I am not a morning person, I've had to be at work by 8am for years, it's still hard for me. I can be tired all day but then I'll wake up again about 8 or 9 in the evening and be really productive on personal projects for an hour or two. I regularly get 7 hours of sleep so that's not the issue. I just don't do well getting up before 9am.

I delivered pizza for a while and the day shift didn't start until 11am, I'd wake up about 10 and would get to bed till about 2 or 3 in the morning, the exact same amount of sleep I get now, but I felt way more energized during that summer than I ever have working normal 8-5 hours.

I do hate it when I sleep too late on the weekends though, if it's past 10am I feel like I've slept most of the day away.
              Keep firing @$$holes!

Comment

I'm a night owl and always will be I think. When I was working regularly I worked 7am - 3pm. That meant getting up between 5:30 and 6am to give myself a half hour to an hour to get ready then 30 minute drive to work. I detested it. I NEVER woke up refreshed. I would force myself to go to bed around 10 or 11pm and I would toss and turn for a couple hours. I never got enough sleep because of this. I would come home exhausted and ache for a nap but not take one for fear of not being able to sleep that night. But regardless come about 9pm I would click back to life and want to do things.

Drove me nuts lol. Now that I am home I sleep when I'm tired and get up when I'm not. Unless I have a specific appt. or need to be on the go by a certain time.

So my night usually consists of going to bed somewhere between 2am and 4am and getting up somewhere between 11 and 1pm.

Weird I know ... but it works for me

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

man i miss being able to stay up that late on a regular basis. when i was in school i had 2 semesters where all my class were at 6pm. never had to worry about sleeping in and missing class, if i did there would be a problem

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Thanks for letting me know your schedules. I'll get to work now.

This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I'm a night owl too. I've gotten better about getting up earlier, but getting out of bed any earlier than 10 is difficult. I have a 10–15 minute drive to work at 9am, but I generally don't roll out of bed until 8:30 (though the alarm starts going off around 7:30). My office is very flexible about arrival times and I usually get to work by 9:15-ish, so that gives me about 1/2 hour to shower, dress, feed the cat, take out the garbage if it's Monday or Thursday, grab a yogurt, and head out the door. Sunday is the only day I don't have to get up for anything, and I usually won't open my eyes till 11. If I had a late night of intoxicated fun, that probably won't be till 1.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I always feel out of sorts if I don't get daylight in my day. I work in a windowless office. I get 20 minutes Outside every day, but unless I force myself to see more I feel tired. Fresh air probably has a part to play too. I feel good in summer because there is daylight long after I get home from work.

I think that forcing yourself go go out for a walk during your breaks makes a big difference.

My alarm goes off at 7. I am out the door at 8.15. I get to work at 8.25 to start at 8.30. I have a half hour lunch and usually finish at 5. We are all permitted two 15 minute breaks but I don't usually take those unless we are really quiet or I am super hungry. I get home about 5.10ish. Just an 8 hour work day. Evenings are made up of shopping, cooking, blogging and freelance if there is any. Bed at midnight.

If I have a big freelance project to do in the weekend, I find I am much more productive if I am at my desk by 9am. I want to sleep in, but catching up with sleep or oversleeping generally doesn't put me in a good working heads space for the rest of the day. When I freelance, I can work a 12 hour day or more, but I take regular breaks. I usually set myself a completion target rather than a time worked target. So rather than choosing to work two 8 hour weekend shifts, it's more like get the job completed over the weekend, however long it takes.

I adore my tiny commute to work. I may pay a little extra in rent each week, but i spend nothing on transport which would be more than the difference in rent. I have co workers that commute an hour each way and I can't see how it can be worth it. That is 10 hours a week you can't get back. Anyway, I would love to freelance from home full time.
                        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                          Thanks for letting me know your schedules. I'll get to work now.
                          lol... That's MY work schedule, but not my husband's. His schedule varies day by day and sometimes has him in and out of the house. So go ahead and try to rob my house while I'm at work. You might run into my husband who'll tear your face off if you try to take any of his stuff*.

*Actually, he'll probably crap his pants and cry, but that might scare you away too.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I have a rabbit that will smother you in bunny kisses if you come by the house. You will be a giggly mess when I get home.
                            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

lmao Virgo and Buda

My killer dog will knock you down and lick you to death if anyone tries to enter my residence

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X