Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with a design survey for degree year!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a design survey for degree year!

Hiya everyone : ) Meooooow, merry Caturday! And Merry Sunday : P

I'm new to the forum. (Have yet to post at the introduction place, but will do so after this...)

I need help from all of you designers out there with my design survey, pretty please! Just about 2~5 minutes of your time. I am doing my degree year in BA Hons Communication Design - Graphic Design and for my thesis' primary research, a survey is part of it.

My project is about the concept of play in design-- encouraging designers to do more experimentation and exploration of traditional and non-conventional craft methods.

-------

There are 6 multiple choice questions and 3 open end questions. I would really appreciate it if everyone can help to answer this!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...SjZjSnFOS3c6MQ

------

Thank you so much for reading!!!! : ) Hope you guys can help out! *distributes cookies* Would be awesome if you can also spread the word to other fellow designer friends : D (ok, it's a lot to ask, but it's just a short design survey!)

Have a nice weekend ahead.

I had fun with this survey. It presents a lot of questions I often say to myself when looking at many designers in my class and how they often never stray far from what they are comfortable with.

Good luck with your survey and degree!

Comment

In school one should push all envelopes and accept no barriers to creativity, even bend the brief rules a little bit when necessary. It's the last and only chance you will have in this career to totally please yourself with what you create.

Comment

I stopped at this question:

Do you agree designers intentionally forget to 'play' in design? * Play using craft methods (traditional / non-conventional) instead of digital methods (photoshop/illustrator)
        • Yes, sadly, because it ultimately saves them the trouble.
        • No, they just happen to forget! Too busy.
        The answers are biased, especially by "sadly." It's obvious that you want designers to "play," and you think it's wrong that they/we don't.

In my position as an in-house designer I can take some time to sketch, craw thumbnails, and do photo searches, but I avoid the word "play," because it increases the chances that clients won't take the work seriously. I mean, you're just "playing," right? That means you're leaving an element to chance rather than skill and knowledge.

Also, a good deal of my work is constrained by brand standards, company graphic guidelines, literature systems, and/or advertising/marketing campaign standards. Each of the Health Service Organizations (HSOs) I do work for wants to differentiate themselves from the other HSOs within our health-care system. So we have specific colors, typefaces, and layout guidelines for each HSO.

In the end, it's all about clear, consistent communication of the message.That's the most important thing about my work.

The time and place for unbridled creativity is in the creation and development of those standards, guidelines and systems. Sometimes we get to do that, sometimes agencies do it for us.

I hope that helps a bit with your thesis. Good wishes!
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

That's a good point Gar. I avoid using the word play too. Just because I enjoy my work, doesn't mean that I should be paid less or that my expertise is not to be appreciated.
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

The use of the word play initially had me confused. I thought the OP meant playfulness in design as in clever associations, not actually playing in a sandbox with some glue and macaroni.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PrintDriver
              Reply to File for T-Shirt Printing
              PrintDriver
              It sounds like whoever ordered the graphic file is ordering the shirts through a promotional items vendor who is then outsourcing the work, probably overseas.

I would certainly have a clause...
              Today, 05:40 PM
            • PrintDriver
              Reply to CS6 vs. Creative Cloud
              PrintDriver
              CS6 is perfectly serviceable. As long as you aren't taking files from outside clients.
              Print vendors don't care. They might care if it's CS5 or 5.5 but 6 is just fine. At least for the next couple...
              Today, 05:36 PM
            • B
              B
              Just addressing the CS6 vs CC issue, I'm actually still using CS6 for most things. Even though my workplace pays for a CC subscription for me, more often than not, I'll use CS6. That said, it's getting...
              Today, 05:34 PM
            • PanToshi
              PanToshi
              I realize you've said your plan is to just have an "Etsy shop selling clip art or party theme stuff" but I think you may be getting ahead of yourself a tiny bit. Forgive me if you have already...
              Today, 05:15 PM
            • b-designs797
              Reply to Get to work! with partial content.
              b-designs797
              Hey, at least you get THAT much. What a dream to actually create something.

my boss:
              -mocks up idea in publisher.
              -"make that"
              -stands over me on occasion and...
              Today, 03:53 PM

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X