Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Buda
    Reply to Candy Shop Logo
    Buda
    It's a good start. I like the middle one how it has highlights in the text, but I think the drop shapes are way too big. Have you considered working with candy stripes?
    Today, 12:23 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to How to do this?
    Buda
    Yes.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Personally, I would do this in Photoshop so that I had more control of the final colour. Photographing colours can result in differences...
    Today, 12:22 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Hello from Nordic
    Buda
    Hi Mikko and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how the...
    Today, 12:20 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zazzle, CafePress, Etsy, OH MY!
    Buda
    I've never used Zazzle or CafePress, but I've bought a few things on Etsy.

If your CafePress store is doing well, why not sell your Zazzle items on CafePress and see how you go? It might...
    Today, 12:17 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Save Your Work! Poster - critique needed
    Buda
    I think simple is important. A texture will help and maybe thickening up the font?
    Today, 12:13 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a design survey for degree year!

Hiya everyone : ) Meooooow, merry Caturday! And Merry Sunday : P

I'm new to the forum. (Have yet to post at the introduction place, but will do so after this...)

I need help from all of you designers out there with my design survey, pretty please! Just about 2~5 minutes of your time. I am doing my degree year in BA Hons Communication Design - Graphic Design and for my thesis' primary research, a survey is part of it.

My project is about the concept of play in design-- encouraging designers to do more experimentation and exploration of traditional and non-conventional craft methods.

-------

There are 6 multiple choice questions and 3 open end questions. I would really appreciate it if everyone can help to answer this!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...SjZjSnFOS3c6MQ

------

Thank you so much for reading!!!! : ) Hope you guys can help out! *distributes cookies* Would be awesome if you can also spread the word to other fellow designer friends : D (ok, it's a lot to ask, but it's just a short design survey!)

Have a nice weekend ahead.

I had fun with this survey. It presents a lot of questions I often say to myself when looking at many designers in my class and how they often never stray far from what they are comfortable with.

Good luck with your survey and degree!

Comment

In school one should push all envelopes and accept no barriers to creativity, even bend the brief rules a little bit when necessary. It's the last and only chance you will have in this career to totally please yourself with what you create.

Comment

I stopped at this question:

Do you agree designers intentionally forget to 'play' in design? * Play using craft methods (traditional / non-conventional) instead of digital methods (photoshop/illustrator)
        • Yes, sadly, because it ultimately saves them the trouble.
        • No, they just happen to forget! Too busy.
        The answers are biased, especially by "sadly." It's obvious that you want designers to "play," and you think it's wrong that they/we don't.

In my position as an in-house designer I can take some time to sketch, craw thumbnails, and do photo searches, but I avoid the word "play," because it increases the chances that clients won't take the work seriously. I mean, you're just "playing," right? That means you're leaving an element to chance rather than skill and knowledge.

Also, a good deal of my work is constrained by brand standards, company graphic guidelines, literature systems, and/or advertising/marketing campaign standards. Each of the Health Service Organizations (HSOs) I do work for wants to differentiate themselves from the other HSOs within our health-care system. So we have specific colors, typefaces, and layout guidelines for each HSO.

In the end, it's all about clear, consistent communication of the message.That's the most important thing about my work.

The time and place for unbridled creativity is in the creation and development of those standards, guidelines and systems. Sometimes we get to do that, sometimes agencies do it for us.

I hope that helps a bit with your thesis. Good wishes!
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

That's a good point Gar. I avoid using the word play too. Just because I enjoy my work, doesn't mean that I should be paid less or that my expertise is not to be appreciated.
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

The use of the word play initially had me confused. I thought the OP meant playfulness in design as in clever associations, not actually playing in a sandbox with some glue and macaroni.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X